U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:43 PM

34,380 posts, read 41,471,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Here is a good example of somewhat absurd and deliberately biased media coverage:

Montreal still reeling from Pastagate

See how all of this can get ridiculous, people?
It was the language police following to the letter Quebecs language laws that made it possible for the story to go world wide, i've even got friends in Florida and England Emailing me saying REALLY? you cant sat say Pasta in an Italian restaurant in Quebec ?
As some one who lives in Quebec i find it embarrassing to have to explain this language lunacy to friends and family around the world..
And i really hope they dont trip over articles like this one.
http://www.thesuburban.com/article.p...n-Short-Supply

Wonder what would happen if the Language police were scrapped as i dont see the point of their continued existence other than to irritate business owners and in the process make Quebec look stupid on the world stage.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-20-2013 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 05:59 PM

12,688 posts, read 8,753,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
It was the language police following to the letter Quebecs language laws that made it possible for the story to go world wide, i've even got friends in Florida and England Emailing me saying REALLY? you cant sat say Pasta in an Italian restaurant in Quebec ?
As some one who lives in Quebec i find it embarrassing to have to explain this language lunacy to friends and family around the world..
And i really hope they dont trip over articles like this one.
Common Sense In Short Supply | The Suburban Newspaper

Wonder what would happen if the Language police were scrapped as i dont see the point of their continued existence other than to irritate business owners and in the process make Quebec look stupid on the world stage.
When taken to this level it looks very silly indeed. One thing though that I've never understood. Why do the
"STOP" signs say "ARRET" in Quebec, but in France say " STOP " ?????

Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 PM

477 posts, read 426,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
When taken to this level it looks very silly indeed. One thing though that I've never understood. Why do the
"STOP" signs say "ARRET" in Quebec, but in France say " STOP " ?????
Both are correct in French. Why do you guys say "trucks" when in the UK they say "lorry"? Same logic.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 PM

12,688 posts, read 8,753,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Both are correct in French. Why do you guys say "trucks" when in the UK they say "lorry"? Same logic.
Nope. I did a little searching and it's much more calculated and political than just some saying " trucks " and some saying " lorry ".

This quote is interesting.

"The inconvenient fact that the word 'ARRÊT' is not really proper French to describe the act of coming to a stop at an intersection was of no matter. The word ARRÊT' can be best used to describe a stop as in a "Bus Stop" In fact the proper French word for coming to a halt at an intersection is.......wait for it.....STOP or STOPPEZ."

from this site.... No Dogs or Anglophones: Only in Quebec is a STOP sign a Language Issue.

OK really political...

Quebec activists want English stop signs to 'arret' | CTV News

...and please don't think I'm Quebec bashing by just pointing out some of the silliness that goes on. Heck I live in B.C. and we probably outdo Quebec on silliness.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:56 PM

5,691 posts, read 6,537,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Not a good analogy as many countries have adopted 'stop' on their road signs, including Germany as one example. There was an effort to standardise traffic signs through The Vienna Convention on Road Signs. Stop sign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But when I was growing up, the stop signs here were all bilingual. French-English. Now they all just say 'stop.'

Old 08-21-2013, 12:38 AM

873 posts, read 814,788 times
I don't understand the hatred for the language laws. Quebec is a French speaking province so French should be the first language. It's what I like about Quebec most actually.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I don't understand the hatred for the language laws. Quebec is a French speaking province so French should be the first language. It's what I like about Quebec most actually.
No one has a problem with Quebec being 85% French speaking, no one has a problem with those 85% Francophones being very pro French, the problems arise when restrictive language laws are implemented against those who arent French along with language police to insure compliance with those restrictive laws.
Stop signs being one small example, the word arrete is used because the word stop just sounds too English, another example =
Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines
another
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...companies.html

Old 08-21-2013, 01:24 AM

187,012 posts, read 76,902,680 times
I don't know. I see no reason for bashing any state or province save one. I was very happy with my trip into Quebec. People were most hospitable as all the Canadians I've met over the years.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I don't know. I see no reason for bashing any state or province save one. I was very happy with my trip into Quebec. People were most hospitable as all the Canadians I've met over the years.
I think bashing might be the wrong word as no one here is really bashing Quebec, we are on a discussion forum and are discussing various aspects of Quebecs language laws,airing our for or against viewpoints on some issues. almost every one who vacations to Quebec has a good time, i've yet to hear some visitor bash the place.
Most of the stuff i go on about is from a resident Anglo perspective and is mostly related to IMO the needless language laws,Visitors to the province need not worry or concern themselves with such issues just have a good time, tell your friends what a good time you had and Y'all come back now..

Last edited by jambo101; 08-21-2013 at 02:27 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 09:09 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Not a good analogy as many countries have adopted 'stop' on their road signs, including Germany as one example. There was an effort to standardise traffic signs through The Vienna Convention on Road Signs. Stop sign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But when I was growing up, the stop signs here were all bilingual. French-English. Now they all just say 'stop.'
But not all places in the world use STOP. Some places in Latin America use PARE or ALTO. Even Puerto Rico which is sort of part of the US uses PARE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or