U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 03:02 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,567,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's much more difficult to exchange money in the US. Friends of mine in the US had to wait up to a week just to get some Euro's. I'm sure it's not the same all over the US but it's definitely not the same as here in Canada.
As for coins, pennies as you know will one day not be accepted and a lot of the newer vending machines don't accept US coins anymore.
My friend in Montreal just told me the other day that pennies are no longer going to be used in Canada. Prices will still be quoted to the cent, if paid by credit card or check, but for cash transaction at point of sale, prices will now be rounded off to the nearest 5 cents and the Canada Mint will stop making pennies.

American vending machines have never accepted Canadian coins. In northern Michigan, a roll of quarters from a bank would always contain one or two Canadian quarters, which did not work in laundromats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 03:28 PM

5,718 posts, read 6,578,469 times
^^^That's already happened. In my experience, most businesses here are rounding down rather than up. And there aren't any more pennies being minted although they say that pennies will always be accepted as legal tender, assuming you have a jar full of them at home.

Interesting side note - the Wpg Free Press carried a story about a business that tiled their floor entirely in pennies. I thought it was kind of neat. Floored by pennies: Stony Mountain's Summit Café has embraced the coin that Canada has cast aside - Winnipeg Free Press

Old 08-20-2013, 05:02 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,237,578 times
^^^^ WOW, netwit!

I think that's awesome! I'd love to see an afternoon sun shining on it.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:55 PM

12,771 posts, read 8,852,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
^^^That's already happened. In my experience, most businesses here are rounding down rather than up. And there aren't any more pennies being minted although they say that pennies will always be accepted as legal tender, assuming you have a jar full of them at home.

Interesting side note - the Wpg Free Press carried a story about a business that tiled their floor entirely in pennies. I thought it was kind of neat. Floored by pennies: Stony Mountain's Summit Café has embraced the coin that Canada has cast aside - Winnipeg Free Press
This is very cool.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:42 PM

60 posts, read 67,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
let's be honestly, people accept USD because it is USD, the only hard currency.

Yes money is money but how often do business accept Japanese Yen or the euro? Hardly.

Business accepts USD because it is the most liquid currency, by far the most important reserve currency.

And also because Canada heavily depends on the US and love its money. When I was in Argentina, all businesses love USD. But in Brazil and Chile, hardly any store accepts USD.

How can a currency be both the only hard currency and the most liquid one at the same time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada