U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-19-2013, 04:25 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,166 posts, read 1,750,098 times
Reputation: 2630

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Lol, Quebecers are dreadful foodies and we don't DO waffles. We do French crepes. And chili? That's something you only see at Wendy's. It looks like a cup of red soup.
"French crepes?" Perhaps Quebecers ought not to be such dreadful foodies. Look outside your experience, beyond French crepes, and into the cuisine of the prairies, where you threw what you had into a pot over a fire. Homemade chili--and mine is a damn sight better than Wendy's--and football (and beer), is a tradition in my home. Really, it's not a Sunday unless the fridge is full of beer, the crock pot is slowly cooking up a delicious chili, and the TV is showing a football game.

Let me know when you'll be here. I'll make extra chili, and stock the fridge with beer. Who's your favourite team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2013, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Qubec
21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
"French crepes?" Perhaps Quebecers ought not to be such dreadful foodies. Look outside your experience, beyond French crepes, and into the cuisine of the prairies, where you threw what you had into a pot over a fire. Homemade chili--and mine is a damn sight better than Wendy's--and football (and beer), is a tradition in my home. Really, it's not a Sunday unless the fridge is full of beer, the crock pot is slowly cooking up a delicious chili, and the TV is showing a football game.

Let me know when you'll be here. I'll make extra chili, and stock the fridge with beer. Who's your favourite team?
Les Alouettes, bien sr! (I can only assume...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 12,009,014 times
Reputation: 9714
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
"French crepes?" Perhaps Quebecers ought not to be such dreadful foodies. Look outside your experience, beyond French crepes, and into the cuisine of the prairies, where you threw what you had into a pot over a fire. Homemade chili--and mine is a damn sight better than Wendy's--and football (and beer), is a tradition in my home. Really, it's not a Sunday unless the fridge is full of beer, the crock pot is slowly cooking up a delicious chili, and the TV is showing a football game.

Let me know when you'll be here. I'll make extra chili, and stock the fridge with beer. Who's your favourite team?
Well, I don't like football, and I rarely drink beer. Is your chili vegetarian? I don't eat mammals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,672 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Reputation: 7283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
It is to your loss that none of these exist in Canada:

www.wafflehouse.com
Waffles exist in Canada and they may be more popular in one region than another. Belgian style waffles seem to be the type of restaurants I see in Vancouver, although very few.

https://www.facebook.com/nerobelgianwafflebar

Creperies are more common.

Cafe Crepe

Sorry, not feeling the loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,672 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Reputation: 7283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Waffles exist in Canada and they may be more popular in one region than another. Belgian style waffles seem to be the type of restaurants I see in Vancouver, although very few.

https://www.facebook.com/nerobelgianwafflebar

Creperies are more common.

Cafe Crepe

Sorry, not feeling the loss.
I also see Cafe Crepe has opened a restaurant in Santa Monica, CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 6,092,794 times
Reputation: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Cali ya gotta give this chit a rest.

Americans have been coming to Canada for generations for a variety of reasons.

Owning a home in the Kawarthas is still a perk for many rich Americans. Shopping was even a very frequent experience for Americans when the dollar exchange was something like $1.30 Can for every U.S. dollar.

The same reasons exist now for Canadians that existed then for Americans; it's all about the savings AND the variety. Sometimes people just like a change from their normal stuff.

Now as to Jambo's contribution:

Montreal-style smoked meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It ain't just a sandwich!

You want some real Montreal smoked meat; you'll just have to come to Montreal to get it. Nearly every trip I made with my RV to the RGV or Yuma area I had American friends begging me to smuggle unsliced whole sections of Montreal smoked meat across the border for them.

Canadian Foods J.J.'s Complete Guide to Canada

You haven't lived until you have a real Tortiere prepared by a grandmother aged Quebec resident using a passed down recipe well over a hundred years old.

Maybe some Caribou at the Winter Carnival:

Caribou (drink) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We won't even start talking about the fresh fish varieties that are still safe to eat up here.
Of course there are going to be more Americans coming to Canada we have 300 million people ,anyways just admit it Canadians come over the border everyday to support our businesses by buying their, since everything is more expensive In Canada besides healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 12,009,014 times
Reputation: 9714
Quote:
Montreal-style smoked meat - Wikipedia, the free
encyclopedia


It ain't just a sandwich!

You want some real
Montreal smoked meat; you'll just have to come to Montreal to get it. Nearly
every trip I made with my RV to the RGV or Yuma area I had American friends
begging me to smuggle unsliced whole sections of Montreal smoked meat across the
border for them.
Oh God, that's the only thing I really, really miss since eschewing red meat. Heaven.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2013, 02:27 AM
 
34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Reputation: 29847
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Oh God, that's the only thing I really, really miss since eschewing red meat. Heaven.
Its smoked meat, its Montreal,You're allowed to cheat once in a while
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2013, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 12,009,014 times
Reputation: 9714
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its smoked meat, its Montreal,You're allowed to cheat once in a while
Lol, no. You don't understand. I didn't stop eating meat because of cholesterol or calories, whereby cheating once in a while wouldn't kill me. It's a moral and ethical choice after I saw what horrors go on in industrial feedlots and factory farms. I just couldn't swallow it after that. It's not a question of cheating. If I had assurances that the beef was raised and treated humanely, I could probably eat it. It's my conscience that doesn't allow it, not my health concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2013, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
564 posts, read 877,804 times
Reputation: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
If I had assurances that the beef was raised and treated humanely, I could probably eat it. It's my conscience that doesn't allow it, not my health concerns.
I have the same concerns. I know that animal-based foods like red meat have been the engine of human evolution for millions of years and are the backbone of good health, but the factory farm model is a horror show of abuse, sickness, and cruelty.

We try to buy only pastured, grass-fed, and ethically-raised animal products (preferably from local farmers) whenever possible. Lately we've been enjoying bison, which is almost always raised humanely on pasture. Nutrient-dense, leaner than cattle beef, and lets me enjoy eating meat with a clear conscience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top