U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 05:11 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,562,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
Dunkins doesn't do well up against Tim Hortons. In western New york we have both and Tims has way more locations now.

I can get to 3 Tims within a mile of my home. All are extremely busy every morning. Drive-thrus at times have 20 cars waiting at the one i go to most. In the same area there are only 2 Dunkins and they are small ones inside of Gas stations and are never busy. One is right next to the Tims i mentioned and while waiting in the Drive thru line i rarely see cars going through the Dunkins drive thru

edit: just checked on dunkins canadian website and the only locations coming up in the locator are in Montreal
Ok. Does Tims sell same thing as DD (a.k.a donuts, bagels, etc.)?

One off topic question; Why doesn't McDonald's & other burger places have Ranch sauce or similar white sauce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 05:22 PM

12,696 posts, read 8,769,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Ok. Does Tims sell same thing as DD (a.k.a donuts, bagels, etc.)?

One off topic question; Why doesn't McDonald's & other burger places have Ranch sauce or similar white sauce?
Tims menu. Personally I can't stand Tim Hortons. Crappy donuts.

On Our Menu | Tim Hortons

Mcdonald's runs their restaurants differently in each country. Mcdonald's Canada caters to a Canadian market, and so you will get slightly different products and names. You will also notice in Canada that white vinegar is common with fries and fast food joints have packets of vinegar and or bottles. In the US if you ask for vinegar with fries, they look at you funny and bring malt vinegar.
In Europe a lot of Mcdonald's serve beer and wine. The names of the burgers are also different. It's all junk though, no matter what country you're in.

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-16-2013 at 05:51 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 06:51 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,024,488 times
Quote:
Haven't seen any while I was in Southern Ontario. Why would they close? Very popular in America
I can't speak about the rest of Canada, but big chains tend not to do well here, aside from the ubiquitous McDs and Burger Kings.
From Red Lobster to Taco Bell to Krispy Kremes...most have packed up and left.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:36 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,143,897 times
Big chains most certainly do quite well in Ontario. There are tons of them and most of them are awful - even worse than their American counterparts and unfailingly far more expensive - such as Jack Astor's, Kelsey's, etc.

The one thing I miss having in Ontario is Wawa and to a lesser extent, Sheetz. Wawa is a 24 hour gas station/convenience store with a deli counter where you can order hot prepared foods. They make awesome hoagies in record time and at low prices. Ordering is done on a computer screen and you can customize everything. They have a great selection of products unlike most convenience stores, and quite a few healthy options. In the Philadelphia area, Wawa is extremely popular.

I agree with jambo that there are very few stores in the U.S. that you miss having in Canada, but there ARE plenty of them where the Canadian version is subpar. Look at the new Target Canada stores that just opened up to present a very underwhelming shopping experience.

Another annoying thing is that chains like Whole Foods, Panera Bread, Chipotle that have opened up in Canada only have locations in the GTA. You can find Chipotle even in smaller cities in the U.S. but there's not a single location in St. Catharines or Niagara Falls.

I was surprised to find some U.S. chains had Mexican locations but none in Canada. I saw Chili's restaurant all over Mexico but haven't seen any in Canada. I just looked it up and there's one location, in suburban Toronto. Then there's places like Ruby Tuesday which only has one location in Canada, in Niagara Falls, to cater to American tourists.

Other national U.S. chains with no Canada locations: PEI WEI Asian Diner, Qdoba, Baja Fresh, Noodles & Company,.. come to think of it, the entire "Fast Casual" genre of restaurants hasn't really taken off in Canada. Probably because of the food and labor costs, it wouldn't take off very well. Fast casual is premised on busy lifestyles where eating out is about getting a quick bite when you're busy, but don't want to eat crappy fast food. Labor and food costs are low enough in the U.S. that the average single person can afford to eat out for many meals rather than cooking. Canadians by and large don't have those same lifestyles. Things are more laid back and orderly here, and people tend to eat at home for most meals. Eating out regularly in Canada would be cost prohibitive for most people.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:05 PM

"Another annoying thing is that chains like Whole Foods, Panera Bread, Chipotle that have opened up in Canada only have locations in the GTA. You can find Chipotle even in smaller cities in the U.S. but there's not a single location in St. Catharines or Niagara Falls. "

Whole Foods has 8 stores in Canada, 4 in the GTA and 4 in Vancouver. They took over from Caper's here.
Chipotle also has a 2 locations in the Vancouver area.

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-17-2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 01:40 PM

1,303 posts, read 989,294 times
Saskatchewan has 2 Chili's restaurants. Now when the Regina location first opened I found a number of items on their menu that I liked (but then they changed the menu and :P).

Old 08-17-2013, 09:01 PM

329 posts, read 794,376 times
Macy's
Nordstrom's
The Limited

Old 08-18-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
Macy's
Nordstrom's
The Limited
Nordstroms is opening in Vancouver in 2014 or 2015 I believe.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:13 PM

171 posts, read 231,898 times
Quote:
What are some famous American retail stores (incl. chain restaurants) that does not exist in Canada yet?

Dunkin Donuts
Kohl's
Chuck E Cheese
Barnes & Noble
Macy's / Bloomingdales / Neiman Marcus
Cheesecake Factory / Grandlux Cafe / Olive Gardens

Please add....
hopefully they will all go bust and we can move back to nice independent shops

Old 08-24-2013, 02:49 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,796,006 times
Quote:
What are some famous American retail stores (incl. chain restaurants) that does not exist in Canada yet?

Dunkin Donuts
Kohl's
Chuck E Cheese
Barnes & Noble
Macy's / Bloomingdales / Neiman Marcus
Cheesecake Factory / Grandlux Cafe / Olive Gardens

Please add....
there is olive garden in canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or