Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 12:37 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Toronto has Eaton Centre Mall..... NYC doesn't even have a large urban mall.

During my drive on that Queen highway, I found lots of retailers along the highway.
NYC is not suburban. Large urban malls tend to be in the suburbs. NYC has shopping all over. Period. Fifth Avenue. Soho. The Village.

YOu indicated that you did NOT qualify to migrate to Canada (not enough points).. isn't it a mute point figuring out what you can buy and cost of living?
Quote:
How did you qualify? I tried to take the quiz and says I do not qualify. So annoying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 12:56 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I can't speak about the rest of Canada, but big chains tend not to do well here, aside from the ubiquitous McDs and Burger Kings.
From Red Lobster to Taco Bell to Krispy Kremes...most have packed up and left.
Taco Bell and KFC have combined their menu's to form one Fast food chain here in B.C.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:57 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
I emailed Trader Joe's about opening locations in Canada, and was told that they are not planning on opening and will focus expanding in mainland U.S. only for now.
Trader Joe's has a reputation for extreme secrecy. I wouldn't expect them to tell you if they did have plans to open stores in Canada. If I was betting, I would bet that you will get Trader Joe's in Canada. But maybe later, rather then sooner. Since they would have to first set up local distribution systems in Canada which would probably be a lot more complicated then just opening up more stores in the US around existing distribution centers.

Inside the secret world of Trader Joe's - Full Version

Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
Actually Trader Joes does have a pretty wide selection of gourmet items at rock bottom prices. I am thrilled that a new location is being opened in Amherst, NY within easy driving distance of the Peace Bridge. The downside is they won't be selling wine, only beer.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Actually Trader Joes does have a pretty wide selection of gourmet items at rock bottom prices. I am thrilled that a new location is being opened in Amherst, NY within easy driving distance of the Peace Bridge. The downside is they won't be selling wine, only beer.
Can you bring in groceries to Canada from USA?

Old 08-28-2013, 11:04 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times
Quote:
White vinegar?!?! Yuck

I don't pour on it, but dip fries and chicken nuggets on ranch sauce... This is very common in the U.S., and some have BBQ sauce, sweet and sour, zesty, etc.
Blue cheese dressing is also common, but McDonald's don't serve it only restaurants (chain).

This could lend a clue as to America's obesity problem.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:06 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times
Quote:
Can you bring in groceries to Canada from USA?
Of course you can.

Government of Canada - Be Aware and Declare! - What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products?

Old 08-29-2013, 12:05 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
" gourmet "...define gourmet ? You are really buying " no name " products. You don't actually know what company you are buying from...it all say's " Trader Joe's " on the label. People who know and care about truly good quality always know what they are buying. It's all a marketing ploy to fool the masses in the U.S. because they can't find that really good french brie in their local Safeway or Albertson's like you can in Canada.
Go to a normal grocery store ( supermarket ) in the U.S. and do a test. Count the amount of products considered to be " gourmet " and also imported food items and compare it to a Canadian grocery store. Cheese is a very good example. At my relatives Stater's store in California they had 22 different cheeses, in my mother suburban Save On Foods there were over 200 cheeses, with 60 or so being imported from around the globe.
If you ask for things that we take for granted in Canadian grocery stores, they will tell you " you have to go to a specialty store" hence the Trader Joe's.
THIS IS NOT TO SAY THERE ARE NOT FANCY GROCERY STORES IN THE US, LIKE ZUPAN'S IN OREGON AND OTHERS.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:30 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
" gourmet "...define gourmet ? You are really buying " no name " products. You don't actually know what company you are buying from...it all say's " Trader Joe's " on the label. People who know and care about truly good quality always know what they are buying. It's all a marketing ploy to fool the masses in the U.S. because they can't find that really good french brie in their local Safeway or Albertson's like you can in Canada.
I've heard a lot about Trader Joe's from American friends, but everything that Trader Joe's has sound a lot like what I can get under the President's Choice label (from Loblaws/Superstore), or the "high-end premium" labels from Safeway or Sobey's.

Heck, my local Safeway has French Brie, ten-year-old Canadian Cheddar, full-sour Kosher dill pickles, butcher-prepared souvlaki for the grill, olives in vermouth for your martinis, and so much more that might be considered "gourmet." Of course, it also has Wonder Bread, canned Alpha-Getti, Honey-Nut Cheerios, and Heinz Ketchup; but I don't find that the selection is lacking when I want something a little special and out of the ordinary.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:20 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Go to a normal grocery store ( supermarket ) in the U.S. and do a test. Count the amount of products considered to be " gourmet " and also imported food items and compare it to a Canadian grocery store. Cheese is a very good example. At my relatives Stater's store in California they had 22 different cheeses, in my mother suburban Save On Foods there were over 200 cheeses, with 60 or so being imported from around the globe.
If you ask for things that we take for granted in Canadian grocery stores, they will tell you " you have to go to a specialty store" hence the Trader Joe's.
THIS IS NOT TO SAY THERE ARE NOT FANCY GROCERY STORES IN THE US, LIKE ZUPAN'S IN OREGON AND OTHERS.
You are really generalizing here as it really depends on where in the US you live. For example in Cambridge, MA Whole Foods in considered a regular grocery store as I have 11 of them within a 5 mile radius of my home (5 of which are within a 2 mile radius) So its where alot of us do our regular shopping and I just read on their site they carry 250-1000 cheeses at each of their stores depending on selection at any given time. Trader Joes in the Boston area is not viewed as a gourmet store, but rather a niche discount store where you buy cheap beer and wine along with well priced organic or frozen items. Its really difficult to do a full shopping there, at least the stores we have locally.

If I personally want to entertain and have a good cheese or charcuterie selection for my guests I could easily go to my local grocery store, but its not what I consider fancy. If I wanted truly "fancy" I would go to a local cheese shop like this place (Formaggio Kitchen | Artisan cheese, charcuterie and specialty food.)

Even at the more affordable grocery stores like Stop and Shop, Roche Brothers, Market Basket or Shaw's, the cheese selection would never be as low as 22 cheeses and its definitely comparable to the places I used to shop in the Toronto area for everyday items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada