Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 07:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
White vinegar?!?! Yuck

I don't pour on it, but dip fries and chicken nuggets on ranch sauce... This is very common in the U.S., and some have BBQ sauce, sweet and sour, zesty, etc.
Blue cheese dressing is also common, but McDonald's don't serve it only restaurants (chain).
Next time you are up in Canada try a splash of salt and vinegar on your fries instead of Ketchup.you just might like it.. what i'd like to see more of in Canada is BBQ joints,

This is not something that appeals to most Canadians

Last edited by jambo101; 08-25-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 08:08 AM

675 posts, read 644,417 times
Quote:
For the fries and/or chicken nuggets obviously...
Nuggets, sure, but fries?! Nothing is less obvious.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:23 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
White vinegar?!?! Yuck

I don't pour on it, but dip fries and chicken nuggets on ranch sauce... This is very common in the U.S., and some have BBQ sauce, sweet and sour, zesty, etc.
Blue cheese dressing is also common, but McDonald's don't serve it only restaurants (chain).
A lot of Quebecers put mayo on their fries. But Ranch? Yuck!

Old 08-25-2013, 10:53 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I would want Macy's and Trader Joe's to come to Canada.

There are simply not enough Canadian retailers for us to shop. One thing I find annoying is that even in downtown Toronto, there are so few department stores. There is the Bay, a Sears (which doesn't do well) and Holt Renfew (which is only for the rich people). There are so few options for a city of 6M. Everywhere there is the Bay and Sears, that's all.

I always thought the world's biggest bookstore (not really biggest) on Edward st should be a Macy's. A one storey suburban like bookstore at Yonge/Dundas?? And Either Atrium on Bay or 10 Dundas East should have one other department store. Both malls are gigantic failure. Maybe one between Gerrard and Bloor on Yonge as well.

And there is none on Queen Street West. Actually there is none west or East of Yonge in downtown at all. Spadina/Queen should have one. The parking lot at Church and Queen is a great opportunity for some retailers too.

yeah I know Toronto is supposed to like only small retailers as if it is a superior model but in reality people need large department stores to shop so that they don't have to hop from one tiny store to another.
I find Macy's to be just like any other generic department store. I've gone to quite a few department stores in Europe, the U.K. and the U.S. Certain ones like Harrod's stood out because of their food court and luxury items that most can't afford, but most look and feel the same.

I have been totally underwhelmed by Trader Joe's. I just don't get it. You buy some other companies product that Trader Joe's has slapped their sticker on. Most of the products they sell are easily found in most regular grocery stores in Canada. My friends in L.A. took me to one to show me how great they were. The reason they thought it was great, was you could get " imported " stuff that wasn't at their local Safeway. MEH. That stuff was all over Canadian grocery store shelves for the most part. The cheap wine wasn't of course, but perhaps I'm a snob when it comes to certain things, but 2 Buck Chuck isn't a wine I'd recommend.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:24 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,880,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I would want Macy's and Trader Joe's to come to Canada.

There are simply not enough Canadian retailers for us to shop. One thing I find annoying is that even in downtown Toronto, there are so few department stores. There is the Bay, a Sears (which doesn't do well) and Holt Renfew (which is only for the rich people). There are so few options for a city of 6M. Everywhere there is the Bay and Sears, that's all.

I always thought the world's biggest bookstore (not really biggest) on Edward st should be a Macy's. A one storey suburban like bookstore at Yonge/Dundas?? And Either Atrium on Bay or 10 Dundas East should have one other department store. Both malls are gigantic failure. Maybe one between Gerrard and Bloor on Yonge as well.

And there is none on Queen Street West. Actually there is none west or East of Yonge in downtown at all. Spadina/Queen should have one. The parking lot at Church and Queen is a great opportunity for some retailers too.

yeah I know Toronto is supposed to like only small retailers as if it is a superior model but in reality people need large department stores to shop so that they don't have to hop from one tiny store to another.
Toronto has Eaton Centre Mall..... NYC doesn't even have a large urban mall.

During my drive on that Queen highway, I found lots of retailers along the highway.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:58 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Am I the only one who was totally underwhelmed by Trader Joe's? My American friends rave about it, but it just sold stuff I could get a local grocery store....except the cheapo wine.
I agree with you 100% about Trader Joe's, and I'm American. But it looks like many of your fellow Canadians disagree. Some are even willing to pay inflated prices just to get TJ's products.

Pirate Joe's

Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I agree with you 100% about Trader Joe's, and I'm American. But it looks like many of your fellow Canadians disagree. Some are even willing to pay inflated prices just to get TJ's products.

Pirate Joe's
Ya, stupid people. LOL. I suppose they think it's like buying contraband or something. Some U.S. chains come up and do well, and some die a quick horrible death. I just can't see TJ's doing well here in Vancouver...way too many shops and regular grocery stores that sell what they sell. They would have to seriously compete on price and I'm not sure they would be able to do that.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:04 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Next time you are up in Canada try a splash of salt and vinegar on your fries instead of Ketchup.you just might like it.. what i'd like to see more of in Canada is BBQ joints,

This is not something that appeals to most Canadians

that looks disgusting!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,880,436 times
I emailed Trader Joe's about opening locations in Canada, and was told that they are not planning on opening and will focus expanding in mainland U.S. only for now.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:41 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
That's just as well. Trader Joe's doesn't carry anything special that can't already be found in stores here now.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada