U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2013, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,450,345 times
Reputation: 4409

Advertisements

Anyone find it funny that a store that is deliberately secretive about the origins of its products is annoyed that someone is being transparent about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2013, 10:29 AM
 
1,701 posts, read 1,996,399 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Anyone find it funny that a store that is deliberately secretive about the origins of its products is annoyed that someone is being transparent about it?
Thank you!

I live 5 miles away from a Trader Joes. It is the most over-hyped store in HISTORY. I mean, it is just a small corner store that has some "fun" items! That's it! It is like a slightly larger, slightly fancier Seven-Eleven!

$2 bottles of red wine that taste like urine and grape juice! And they are proud of the product!

Their top selling item is frozen orange chicken! And they are proud of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 10:36 AM
 
1,701 posts, read 1,996,399 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Why don't we have something like Trader Joes in Canada? High quality with affordable prices.

Metro etc are atrocious. I'd rather shop in Chinatown than Metro's, same quality, half price.
My god! You will go to any length to prop up American things and demean Canadian ones!

Here's a blurb on TJ's most selling wine!

Trader Joe’s Charles Shaw wines are better known as “Two Buck Chuck” for their $1.99 and $2.99 price tags. Though some people seem perfectly content with these bargain wines, most wine lovers would rather drink the beer. Keith Wallace, executive director of The Wine School of Philadelphia, puts it bluntly: “A lot of people are saying that this stuff is as good as anything else. It’s not. It’s just crap.” Michael Steinberger, wine columnist for Slate, managed to dub the varieties of Two Buck Chunk “plonk,” “swill,” and “undrinkable” in a single column. What its drinkers may not know, says Wallace, is that there is no actual Charles Shaw winery and that the Two Buck Chuck production process more closely resembles that of soda than wine. “This wine is made in a factory, with a lot of synthetic and concentrated products, like grape musk, added to manipulate the flavors from bad grapes,” he says. Yes, it is $2 a bottle, but you get what you pay for.

Though some people seem perfectly content with these bargain wines — see our taste test in the video above — most wine lovers would rather drink the beer.

4 Things Not to Buy at Trader Joe's - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 07:47 PM
 
18,296 posts, read 10,386,738 times
Reputation: 13360
It would seem a Washington State judge may also have experience with Trader Joe's over-hyped crap and wondered what all the fuss was about herself:

Trader Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 10:35 AM
 
9,967 posts, read 14,628,835 times
Reputation: 9193
How come Trader Joe's hasn't gone after this guy in Oshawa yet?

https://sites.google.com/site/traderjoeosh/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 10:38 AM
 
9,967 posts, read 14,628,835 times
Reputation: 9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
My god! You will go to any length to prop up American things and demean Canadian ones!

Here's a blurb on TJ's most selling wine!

Trader Joe’s Charles Shaw wines are better known as “Two Buck Chuck” for their $1.99 and $2.99 price tags. Though some people seem perfectly content with these bargain wines, most wine lovers would rather drink the beer. Keith Wallace, executive director of The Wine School of Philadelphia, puts it bluntly: “A lot of people are saying that this stuff is as good as anything else. It’s not. It’s just crap.” Michael Steinberger, wine columnist for Slate, managed to dub the varieties of Two Buck Chunk “plonk,” “swill,” and “undrinkable” in a single column. What its drinkers may not know, says Wallace, is that there is no actual Charles Shaw winery and that the Two Buck Chuck production process more closely resembles that of soda than wine. “This wine is made in a factory, with a lot of synthetic and concentrated products, like grape musk, added to manipulate the flavors from bad grapes,” he says. Yes, it is $2 a bottle, but you get what you pay for.

Though some people seem perfectly content with these bargain wines — see our taste test in the video above — most wine lovers would rather drink the beer.

4 Things Not to Buy at Trader Joe's - CBS News
I don't ever pay attention to the Charles Shaw wines at Trader Joes(they sell those at a bunch of grocery stores as well)--they might not even carry even them at all my local TJs. They do have a bunch of mediocre to slightly decent to actually good cheap bottles of Argentine and Italian and French wine there though. I mean you don't expect much from a $7 bottle of wine, but it's decent for just a cheap dinner at home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley
4,060 posts, read 9,122,315 times
Reputation: 3435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
How come Trader Joe's hasn't gone after this guy in Oshawa yet?

https://sites.google.com/site/traderjoeosh/
Because their trademark is not for Gold, it's for groceries....they may not even own a Trademark for groceries in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 01:12 PM
 
9,967 posts, read 14,628,835 times
Reputation: 9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Because their trademark is not for Gold, it's for groceries....they may not even own a Trademark for groceries in Canada.
Also, that was just a joke...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2016, 02:26 PM
 
827 posts, read 853,470 times
Reputation: 548
Default Update: Trader Joe Wins Appeal

Arrgh: Pirate Joe's And Trader Joe's Are Once Again Locked In Legal Battle : The Two-Way : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 08:02 PM
 
827 posts, read 853,470 times
Reputation: 548
Default Update: Trader Joe Wins

Pirate Joe's ends legal battle with Trader Joe's, closes its doors | CTV Vancouver News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top