U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 09:17 PM

9,576 posts, read 2,644,001 times

Advertisements

Good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 12:08 AM

5,433 posts, read 3,502,646 times
Trader Joe's should open up in Canada. Seriously as an American I have to say that Trader Joe's is overrated, though good. This man should not have been sued, I would have ruled in his favor. It's not like Trader Joe's is experiencing financial hardship because of Pirate Joe's, ; plus this is taking place in Canada, where TJ has no presence.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:44 AM

7,216 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Trader Joe's should open up in Canada. .....

No, thank you. Trader Joe's should stay where it is.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:53 AM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Trader Joe's should open up in Canada. Seriously as an American I have to say that Trader Joe's is overrated, though good. This man should not have been sued, I would have ruled in his favor. It's not like Trader Joe's is experiencing financial hardship because of Pirate Joe's, ; plus this is taking place in Canada, where TJ has no presence.
I cant see where Pirate Joes is in anyway a threat to Trader Joes,one is a small boutique grocery store in Vancouver the other is a colossal big box American grocery store with no stores in Canada.
That said Pirate joe had to have known Trader Joe would have an issue with his business model,odd that the owner of Pirate Joes would be so blatant about it.=
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Joe%27s
As for Trader Joes in Canada?Here in Montreal we have more than enough grocery stores and markets to choose from.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:17 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,070,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Thank you!

I live 5 miles away from a Trader Joes. It is the most over-hyped store in HISTORY. I mean, it is just a small corner store that has some "fun" items! That's it! It is like a slightly larger, slightly fancier Seven-Eleven!

$2 bottles of red wine that taste like urine and grape juice! And they are proud of the product!

Their top selling item is frozen orange chicken! And they are proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
My god! You will go to any length to prop up American things and demean Canadian ones!

Here's a blurb on TJ's most selling wine!

Trader Joe’s Charles Shaw wines are better known as “Two Buck Chuck” for their $1.99 and $2.99 price tags. Though some people seem perfectly content with these bargain wines, most wine lovers would rather drink the beer. Keith Wallace, executive director of The Wine School of Philadelphia, puts it bluntly: “A lot of people are saying that this stuff is as good as anything else. It’s not. It’s just crap.” Michael Steinberger, wine columnist for Slate, managed to dub the varieties of Two Buck Chunk “plonk,” “swill,” and “undrinkable” in a single column. What its drinkers may not know, says Wallace, is that there is no actual Charles Shaw winery and that the Two Buck Chuck production process more closely resembles that of soda than wine. “This wine is made in a factory, with a lot of synthetic and concentrated products, like grape musk, added to manipulate the flavors from bad grapes,” he says. Yes, it is $2 a bottle, but you get what you pay for.

Though some people seem perfectly content with these bargain wines — see our taste test in the video above — most wine lovers would rather drink the beer.

4 Things Not to Buy at Trader Joe's - CBS News

As with every store, you need to know what to buy at Trader Joe's.

Personally I do find very good to excellent products there and sometimes duds (which you can return with no fuss...try it, if you do not like it, take it back)

Same thing with the over hyped and outrageously expensive Whole Foods.

In the wine section, for example, you can guy a sub $30 Brunello Di Montalcino that rivals any $60 Brunello bottles elsewhere.

Got some excellent Ports.

An other example, their Burrata is great, the one I got at Whole Foods is garbage (and twice as expensive) in comparison.

On balance Trader Joe's is a great store and Canadians are missing out.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Your loss.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not really. There isn't anything that they sell that we can't get here. If they did set up shop, the prices would not be the same as in the US anyway.

Yes, according to my Canadian friends......they find some items at TJ that are comparable (and even better in some cases) to items they buy at Whole Foods up in Vancouver and quite different price levels. Not to mention the fact they love some of the wines they can get there, quite less expensive than other stores even in the US, let alone Canada.

Last edited by saturno_v; 06-09-2017 at 11:42 AM..

Old 06-09-2017, 12:31 PM

18,263 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I cant see where Pirate Joes is in anyway a threat to Trader Joes,one is a small boutique grocery store in Vancouver the other is a colossal big box American grocery store with no stores in Canada.
That said Pirate joe had to have known Trader Joe would have an issue with his business model,odd that the owner of Pirate Joes would be so blatant about it.=
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Joe%27s
As for Trader Joes in Canada?Here in Montreal we have more than enough grocery stores and markets to choose from.
And without a doubt you can go into a corner store on Rue Prince-Arthur for example, across from the Casa Grecque restaurant, pick a bottle of wine for eight or ten dollars, carry it across to the restaurant where it will then be served to you with the same flourish one of their in-house wines would be.

If there be anyplace in the U.S. you can end up drinking a very serviceable wine and enjoy the same experience for as little outlay, I've yet to find it and believe me, I've been looking.

Trader Joe's is vastly over-rated compared to any decent delicatessen stocking even the minimal of amenities. Fine wines, tapenades and oils are found nearly anywhere the Europeans tend to congregate to entertain themselves. Carp, Nevada isn't likely to have any fine delicatessens but it might have a Trader Joe's.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:05 PM

12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And without a doubt you can go into a corner store on Rue Prince-Arthur for example, across from the Casa Grecque restaurant, pick a bottle of wine for eight or ten dollars, carry it across to the restaurant where it will then be served to you with the same flourish one of their in-house wines would be.

If there be anyplace in the U.S. you can end up drinking a very serviceable wine and enjoy the same experience for as little outlay, I've yet to find it and believe me, I've been looking.

Trader Joe's is vastly over-rated compared to any decent delicatessen stocking even the minimal of amenities. Fine wines, tapenades and oils are found nearly anywhere the Europeans tend to congregate to entertain themselves. Carp, Nevada isn't likely to have any fine delicatessens but it might have a Trader Joe's.
Agreed.

I remember when I was in California a few years back and a friend who lived there was so proud of his Trader Joe's store.

I was underwhelmed. I bought some cheese, bread and mustard. The mustard had a Trader Joe's label, and said Dijon, imported from France. Whoopee LOL

It's marketing for the most part.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:41 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,502,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

No worries, I did mention Trader Joe's being good, but nothing special and overrated. I just came back from Vancouver and have to say you Canadians have really great supermarkets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or