Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 04:45 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I cant see where Pirate Joes is in anyway a threat to Trader Joes,one is a small boutique grocery store in Vancouver the other is a colossal big box American grocery store with no stores in Canada.
That said Pirate joe had to have known Trader Joe would have an issue with his business model,odd that the owner of Pirate Joes would be so blatant about it.=
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Joe%27s
As for Trader Joes in Canada?Here in Montreal we have more than enough grocery stores and markets to choose from.
I completely agree. I would have let this well meaning guy carry on, but he should have known this may happen. But it was not malicious. Yes Canadian cities have more than enough variety of supermarkets. Your supermarkets are no worse than what we have here in the States.

No need to emulate or knock off of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 07:11 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Agreed.

I remember when I was in California a few years back and a friend who lived there was so proud of his Trader Joe's store.

I was underwhelmed. I bought some cheese, bread and mustard. The mustard had a Trader Joe's label, and said Dijon, imported from France. Whoopee LOL

It's marketing for the most part.

For basic stuff you may not be "overwhelmed" but they do have quality items and in other stores cost way more and I mentioned some examples. In reality a lot of Canadians would love to have Trader Joe's in Canada.
Let me know when you can find a Barolo bottle elsewhere as good as the one Trader Joe's sell for way less than $20.
You can find very good stuff at very reasonable prices, sometimes incredibly cheap. No, it cannot compare in variety with specialty small/medium European style grocery stores, especially the family run ones that you find for example in Commercial Drive in Vancouver or Little Italy in San Diego, Chicago, etc....but these are a dying breed.
As I said, they have some surprisingly cheap good wines, their fresh mozzarella cheese is extremely good...they have some variety of imported deli meats I cannot find anywhere else (talking about chain stores)

Is not just "marketing" if you know what to buy....you want to talk about over hyped stores?? Whole Foods......

Charles Shaw wines are pure garbage, by the way....I would not use one even as cooking wine for the lousiest of dish....

Last edited by saturno_v; 06-09-2017 at 07:21 PM..

Old 06-09-2017, 11:17 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Overrated or not, Trader Joe's would be a great addition to supermarkets in Vancouver, for example. Many supermarkets here, like Safeway and Safe on Foods, are overpriced for no good reason, and overall, they suck.

I like Canada, but Canada would be a better country with Trader Joe's. Sorry, if I hurt anybody's feelings.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-12-2017 at 02:58 PM..

Old 06-10-2017, 02:59 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
To each their own I suppose.

I don't find Save on Food sucks at all, but with place like Meinhardt's and Urban Fare and a ton of great deli's I don't see Trader Joe's adding anything really new to Vancouver.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:51 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times
Quote:

I don't find Save on Food sucks at all, but with place like Meinhardt's and Urban Fare and a ton of great deli's I don't see Trader Joe's adding anything really new to Vancouver.
You don't consider Trader Joe's to add anything to Canadian food market, because you are a proud Canadian. As simple as that. Which is a good thing, but it doesn't add anything to being objective.

The prices on some food items in Canadian supermarkets are UNREAL. At least here, in Vancouver.

The name "Save on Foods" is probably meant to be a joke, as prices there are higher than in (some) other stores, in many cases.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 06-10-2017 at 04:07 PM..

Old 06-10-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:

Save on Food for me is pretty bad.
TJ would definitely add something but not as much as it does in the US because of your unbelievably archaic retail wine/spirit laws.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
You don't consider Trader Joe's to add anything to Canadian food market, because you are a proud Canadian. As simple as that. Which is a good thing, but it doesn't add anything to being objective.

The prices on some food items in Canadian supermarkets are UNREAL. At least here, in Vancouver.

The name "Save on Foods" is probably meant to be a joke, as prices there are higher than in (some) other stores, in many cases.
I've been to Trader Joe's, like I said, different strokes, but there isn't anything that I like to buy that I can't find elsewhere.

Prices are what they are. If you think TJ's is going to be offering stuff here in Vancouver as the same prices as they do in the US....you aren't thinking it clearly through.

Again, it differs from person to person, but no, I don't find Save On Foods expensive.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Save on Food for me is pretty bad.
TJ would definitely add something but not as much as it does in the US because of your unbelievably archaic retail wine/spirit laws.
Liquor laws vary from province to province as you know, just like state to state. Utah anyone? As for archaic....21 years of age for drinking?? Now that archaic

Wine is now being sold in some grocery stores, like the Save on Foods in Maple Ridge and eventually will spread to be more common. The law has changed. The next law to be passed in Vancouver is to allow drinking in public parks and beaches.

Why bashing Save on Foods? It's a standard North American grocery store. Better than Canada Safeway ( now extinct ). It reminds me a bit of Von's, which ironically was owned by Safeway in the US.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Utah anyone? As for archaic....21 years of age for drinking?? Now that archaic
Oh, these are archaic too....

Quote:
Wine is now being sold in some grocery stores, like the Save on Foods in Maple Ridge and eventually will spread to be more common. The law has changed.
It was about time.....

Quote:
Why bashing Save on Foods? It's a standard North American grocery store.
Not bashing Save On Food in particular...yes usual stuff....US Safeway is not any better.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:36 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:

Wine is now being sold in some grocery stores, like the Save on Foods in Maple Ridge and eventually will spread to be more common. The law has changed. The next law to be passed in Vancouver is to allow drinking in public parks and beaches.

Why bashing Save on Foods? It's a standard North American grocery store. Better than Canada Safeway ( now extinct ). It reminds me a bit of Von's, which ironically was owned by Safeway in the US.

Oh, jumpin' jehosephat, I hope no law is ever passed in Vancouver to allow drinking in public parks and beaches. Never, never, ever anywhere in BC. Never!

As to the rest of it I just have to jump in and say this. Save on Foods isn't a standard North American grocery store. It's a standard Western Canada only grocery store chain owned by the Jimmy Pattison Group, it's no where else in North America. I do find SOF prices to be higher than other stores but I also appreciate that they carry many specialty items that won't be found in other stores. I like their fine selections of wines that they have here in their Maple Ridge store too.

Canada Safeway isn't extinct. It's a chain of 183 full service supermarket stores in Western Canada. It used to be a subsidiary of the American Safeway Inc. but it was sold in 2013 to Canada's second-largest supermarket chain, Sobeys, and is independent of American Safeway. And the Safeway here has excellent prices and good selections for its fresh seafoods!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada