U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 01:17 AM

91 posts, read 158,846 times

Advertisements

I studied in Canada for two years before returning to India(home country). Over there I went by my short name- Rishi- as it was easier for the locals. Obviously even my bank account there was under my short name.I worked, payed taxes and regularly used my bank account.

Now I am back here and I got a check from the government of Canada for the income returns I had filed. It is a substantial amount for me. The only problem is- No bank here is accepting the check because the name doesn't match. Over here I use my real name and all my bank accounts are under my real name. They say that the name has to match for the check to get cashed. Is it legit or just bullcrap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 03:06 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,942,564 times
Can you append your account for your short name?
Or have the bank put a hold on funds until the check clears?
Or endorse the check as "Rishi" and deposit?

Old 08-19-2013, 10:53 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,775,067 times
Can you get the money wired instead of sent by check? Or re-open an account at your Canadian bank, deposit the check and use the money by debit card?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:21 AM

10,531 posts, read 8,784,204 times
A bribe is in order, correct?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:26 AM

2,713 posts, read 2,285,534 times
Witness protection plan causing all sorts of headaches.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:33 AM

3,275 posts, read 3,703,228 times
If you still have your Canadian bank account, you can get a friend to deposit the check for you in Canada, and then you can wire the money to yourself.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:58 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,030,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
If you still have your Canadian bank account, you can get a friend to deposit the check for you in Canada, and then you can wire the money to yourself.
People still go to the bank to deposit government cheques? Why not just use direct deposit?

Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 PM

1,746 posts, read 4,637,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
People still go to the bank to deposit government cheques? Why not just use direct deposit?
Although it's not relevant at this point, as the OP already got the cheque, direct deposit is the same story: It'd probably not work if name doesn't match.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:09 PM

7,281 posts, read 6,607,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
I studied in Canada for two years before returning to India(home country). Over there I went by my short name- Rishi- as it was easier for the locals. Obviously even my bank account there was under my short name.I worked, payed taxes and regularly used my bank account.

Now I am back here and I got a check from the government of Canada for the income returns I had filed. It is a substantial amount for me. The only problem is- No bank here is accepting the check because the name doesn't match. Over here I use my real name and all my bank accounts are under my real name. They say that the name has to match for the check to get cashed. Is it legit or just bullcrap.
This doesn't make sense to me. Any time I have opened a bank account or paid and filed income taxes I have had to use my real legal name. To open an account I have had to produce ID that shows my real name. Fake names are not allowed for filing income tax. It's okay to use a short name for convenience with friends and associates but fake names are not recognized with the government. I don't know how you were able to open accounts and file income taxes using a fake name. I'm sorry to say, but what you did is fraudulent and it could cause some trouble for you.

Anyway, it is true that the name on the cheque has to be payable to your real name. If you try to cash it under the fake name that also is fraud. Now that you are back in India I don't know what you can do about the cheque you got payable to your fake name. Perhaps you could return the cheque to the government in Canada with a letter of explanation about why you filed taxes and opened accounts registered under a fake name and ask them to write you a new cheque payable to your real legal name. I think you will have to produce certified copies of your real name and identification plus copies of your Canada revenue tax assessments and send those to them to prove that you are the person you say you are and perhaps they will write you a new cheque payable to your real name.

Personally I think this forum is the wrong place to make enquiries about it. I think you need some proper legal advice before you proceed further so that you don't inadvertently get into trouble for committing fraud. I'm sure you didn't realize you were committing fraud at the time but you may need legal advice to find out what your next step should be so you won't get into trouble with the Canadian government and the bank.

I hope you can get that all straightened out okay and that you won't get penalized for it, and that it won't cause troubles for you if you try to come back to Canada again.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or