U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Province
Alberta 2 3.39%
British Columbia 21 35.59%
Manitoba 2 3.39%
New Bruswick 2 3.39%
Newfoundland and Labrador 2 3.39%
Nova Scotia 2 3.39%
Ontario 17 28.81%
Prince Edward Island 2 3.39%
Quebec 8 13.56%
Saskatchewan 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:20 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,369,134 times

Advertisements

I've been to half of them.

1. Prince Edward Island (my pick, you can't deny those warm red sand beaches. Pretty good nightlife in Charlottetown too.)

2. Nova Scotia (tough not to choose this one. May be biased since both visits we had better weather in PEI than NS. Very friendly people.)

3. Quebec (cool landscapes along the St Lawrence near Quebec City, and Montreal is really unique; not a place I fit in well though.)

4. New Brunswick (I didn't care much for Fundy National Park. Had a nice dinner in Saint John on the drive home; some really cool architecture there.)

5. Ontario (feels essentially like the US midwest. Didn't outright dislike it, but didn't see much that you can't find in other cities/states/provinces.)

Last edited by averysgore; 08-20-2013 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 08:37 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,653,198 times
I can't comment on the provinces and territories I've never visited, but of the ones I have:

- Saskatchewan (I was born there - that makes it better than everywhere else, by default)
- Alberta (Like Saskatchewan, but lamer. I live here now - again, by default that makes it great)
- Yukon** (Absolutely stunning - one of those places that everyone should visit)
- NWT** (Same as the Yukon, but too much muskeg)
- BC (Great scenery, great fishing, but I didn't like the lower Mainland that much. Too many people and it rained all the time)
- Quebec (From the bits of disjointed memory I have, my travels to Quebec were a lot of fun. Not a place I could live, though)
- Manitoba (Like Saskatchewan, but lamer. Also, as a native Saskatchewanian, I'm honour bound to look down my nose at it )
- Ontario (Only travelled through it briefly, but on the scale of fun it paled in comparison to Quebec. I'm not big on big cities - I hated Toronto, especially).

Old 08-20-2013, 11:05 PM

30,874 posts, read 31,754,043 times
I voted for my home province, BC, but am surprised that there are no votes for Alberta, my second choice...The Rockys are stunning.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 PM

873 posts, read 814,161 times
1. Ontario (Lakes, Forests, Hills, trees, parks, etc make for some excellent views and scenery)
2. Quebec (Such a big province you can explore so many places like the St. Lawrence Seaway, Lakes, Parks, Culture, etc.)
3. British Columbia (Beautiful mountains, lakes, ocean and Okanagan Valley)
4. Atlantic Canada (all provinces in Atlantic Canada - Views of ocean and it's nice and quiet)
5. Manitoba (So many lakes and parks make for some great relaxing outdoor trips in the summer)
6. Alberta (Foothills, Forests and Rockies)
7. Saskatchewan (Flat prairie land)

Old 08-20-2013, 11:33 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,486,989 times
They're all so good, I feel like a parent being asked to choose who their favourite child is

Even between the provinces I call home, BC and Quebec, I love them for different reasons and each has flaws the other doesn't possess.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:33 PM

5,691 posts, read 6,534,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
I can't comment on the provinces and territories I've never visited, but of the ones I have:

- Saskatchewan (I was born there - that makes it better than everywhere else, by default)
- Alberta (Like Saskatchewan, but lamer. I live here now - again, by default that makes it great)
- Yukon** (Absolutely stunning - one of those places that everyone should visit)
- NWT** (Same as the Yukon, but too much muskeg)
- BC (Great scenery, great fishing, but I didn't like the lower Mainland that much. Too many people and it rained all the time)
- Quebec (From the bits of disjointed memory I have, my travels to Quebec were a lot of fun. Not a place I could live, though)
- Manitoba (Like Saskatchewan, but lamer. Also, as a native Saskatchewanian, I'm honour bound to look down my nose at it )
- Ontario (Only travelled through it briefly, but on the scale of fun it paled in comparison to Quebec. I'm not big on big cities - I hated Toronto, especially).
So what is the story on Robsart, do you know? I thought it was one of the strangest sights ever when we drove through there back in '98 with a lot of houses that looked livable until you looked closer, and old cars and kids' bikes lying in tall grass. I've read a bit about it on the internet but I didn't come across anything that said exactly how it was that it turned into a ghost town. Was this a gradual decline? It looked to me like the Rapture had come and whisked everyone off all at once, in the middle of dinner.

I used to think I got my love of horses from my dad's side of the family but recently while meeting with my uncle to collect old pictures to put into a photo book for my mom of her side of the family, I discovered my maternal grandfather and his brother, in addition to riding the rails during the dirty thirties working for food, also broke horses from Saskatchewan to BC. Of course that doesn't mean he loved horses. He started what must have been one of the earliest trucking businesses here after marrying my grandmother and I never heard him say a word about horses.

Last edited by netwit; 08-20-2013 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-20-2013, 11:47 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,708,360 times
I didnt know B.C was this popular
i expected Quebec to lead the way.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:09 AM

3,019 posts, read 2,693,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I voted for my home province, BC, but am surprised that there are no votes for Alberta, my second choice...The Rockys are stunning.
The coast mountains are stunning as well (see my profile picture). I am biased because I'm from BC, so I'm voting the that province even though I have not been east of Kenora, ON. I've heard that Nova Scotia is awesome as well (I hope to visit some day). When considering the cost of housing, I'm almost leaning toward giving NS the nod. Almost.

But the the thing I like about BC is the diversity. Someone mentioned the big skys of Saskatchwan, but we have the same here in BC. Here are a couple of picture I took earlier this week from the central interior. The first picture is near the eastern edge of the flat Chilcotin plateau, and the second picture is 200 km west on the western edge of the plateau looking into the coast mountains.

Best Provinces of Canada-copy-img_5006.jpg

Best Provinces of Canada-copy-img_5002.jpg

Old 08-21-2013, 12:29 AM

873 posts, read 814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I didnt know B.C was this popular
i expected Quebec to lead the way.
I know I thought Quebec and Ontario would be on top for sure. But it seems that people are voting more on geographical factors more than anything else.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:48 AM

30,874 posts, read 31,754,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I know I thought Quebec and Ontario would be on top for sure. But it seems that people are voting more on geographical factors more than anything else.
BC has more than geological factors...The quality of life here is extraordinary, the pace, at least here on Vancouver island is pretty laid back, the air is clean, the climate mild, exceptional outdoor activities and best of all (For me at least) there are so few pesky insects many homes have no screens on the windows....After living in Ontario that is a treat. Oh no...our secret is getting out! Victoria voted highest quality of life city in Canada | Victoria Real Estate Expert BlogVictoria Real Estate Expert Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or