U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:41 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,997,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
idk your city
You don't need to know my city. Say my city is Aurora or Detroit. Is my fear justified then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 01:50 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,732,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
I was using the movie theatre as an example. I am sure you get the point.

So, by your logic, if the movie theatre in my city has had a shooting/ killing then my fear is justified?

I am simply trying to say that the perception of crime is very different in the two countries. Let me give you an example closer to your home (you are from Minnesota I am guessing?) .... on a very recent trip to Minneapolis–Saint Paul I was told by more than one person to not be in the Mall of America area after 8-9pm. And what do you know ... there was shooting the day I was there. Saw it on the news. Now I am not saying that this happens all the time. But the fear and perception lingers ....
Lol didnt you just said it was a common occurrence?

and i take it you don't even live in the United States...?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Lol didnt you just said it was a common occurrence?
What about MASS SHOOTINGS do you find funny? There have been over 60 mass shootings in the US over the past 30 years. That's about 2 per year. If you ask me, it is 60 too many.

Shooting do not happen at Mall of America all the time ... but then do happen often enough ....

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/9...all-of-America
http://donny-allen.us/2011/12/28/mall-america-box-kids/
http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/27/justic...america-brawls

That's just one mall in one big city!

Quote:
and i take it you don't even live in the United States...?
Try not to be too smug. Using "lol" in your posts is not going to help.
What can I even say to this. So you want to see my papers?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:15 PM

3,020 posts, read 2,700,040 times
Dear iNviNciBL3, please understand that most Canadians are not as prejudice and ignorant toward Americans a you find on web forums. I am sometimes embarrassed by the actions of my fellow Canadians.

Sincerely, GlacierX

Old 08-21-2013, 02:21 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,732,030 times
Quote:
What about MASS SHOOTINGS do you find funny? There have been over 60 mass shootings in the US over the past 30 years. That's about 2 per year. If you ask me, it is 60 too many.

Shooting do not happen at Mall of America all the time ... but then do happen often enough ....

3 shot in IHOP parking lot near Mall of America | kare11.com
Mall of America chaos and shooting death of 3-year old should send a message
Police: 9 arrested after Mall of America fights - CNN.com

That's just one mall in one big city!
But you said we fear walking around the streets?
You can try to use a couple of isolated incidents to try to make it seem like the USA is a huge violent ghetto but i don't mean to disappoint you but the majority of Americans live in very safe communities and we don't walk around in fear everywhere we go.

Quote:
Try not to be too smug. Using "lol" in your posts is not going to help.
What can I even say to this. So you want to see my papers?
Um no i'll take your word for it...

Old 08-21-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
But you said we fear walking around the streets?
You can try to use a couple of isolated incidents to try to make it seem like the USA is a huge violent ghetto but i don't mean to disappoint you but the majority of Americans live in very safe communities and we don't walk around in fear everywhere we go.
No one (and especially not me) implied that USA is a huge violent ghetto. I live here.
The OP was trying to compare the crime between Canada and the US. And I simply stated that the perception of fear is very different in Canada vs USA.

No visitor to Toronto is ever told not to go to a Eaton Centre after 9 pm. But I was told by LOCALS not to go to a mall in Minneapolis. Now I can concede that much of this is hearsay ..... but you would NEVER be given such advice in a Canadian city (maybe parts of Vancouver ... but its not the same).

Many people (like you) on this forum talk about crime with a lot of ignorance. Yes, the majority of Chicagoans do not live in the ghetto and are not subject to crimes on a daily basis, but those that live in the South Side live in DAILY FEAR. Violence in these parts of Chicago are not isolated incidents. To deny this ... is just STUPID!

Old 08-23-2013, 09:27 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,562,768 times
Crime occurs worldwide. However USA has slightly higher crime, but don't be fooled the USA is still relatively safe in most places even in big cities.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:58 AM

16,543 posts, read 20,796,315 times
Quote:
but you would NEVER be given such advice in a Canadian city (maybe parts of Vancouver ... but its not the same).
I've been in the rough parts of Vancouever. They're safer than many of the "nice" neighborhoods in Seattle --- and far safer than anywhere in Tacoma.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:20 AM

18,315 posts, read 10,393,778 times
Quote:
idk your city so i'm not going to start making false accusations like your other post
His other post was neither an accusation nor a falsehood.

Moving on now.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:25 AM

18,315 posts, read 10,393,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Dear iNviNciBL3, please understand that most Canadians are not as prejudice and ignorant toward Americans a you find on web forums. I am sometimes embarrassed by the actions of my fellow Canadians.

Sincerely, GlacierX
Dear GlacierX: Please understand that challenging the position of someone known for their particular prejudice who refuses an opposing view does not make a Canadian either prejudiced nor ignorant. I am sometimes embarrassed by the suck-up apologist actions of my fellow Canadians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or