U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:27 AM

85 posts, read 112,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The truth is, only a fraction of us really take advantage of the good weather, whether it occurs four months a year or 12 months a year. And in places like Canada, those taking advantage of the good summer weather are almost always those who take advantage of the snow as well in the wintertime.

For the vast vast majority of people, their lives and lifestyles would not really change if they were to live in Miami as opposed to Toronto.
More people still prefer warmer weather to colder weather with all other things being equal. I know of many people from warmer climates who would never consider moving to a colder climate like Canada. Whereas many more people from colder climates will be willing to move to warmer climates but they may also be more open to moving somewhere with a cold climate as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 AM

21,964 posts, read 27,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phili80 View Post
More people still prefer warmer weather to colder weather with all other things being equal. I know of many people from warmer climates who would never consider moving to a colder climate like Canada. Whereas many more people from colder climates will be willing to move to warmer climates but they may also be more open to moving somewhere with a cold climate as well.
Don't really disagree with this.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:39 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,999,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phili80 View Post
Sure ... whatever!

As a rule, man's a fool. When it's hot, he wants it cool. When it's cool, he wants it hot. Always wanting what is not.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:30 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,120,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Don't really disagree with this.
I know many people in Canada who escape the winter with trips down south. My parents leave Canada for a warmer climate almost every winter now, especially since they have more time now since my mother is retired and my father transitioning to retirement. I personally don't like the winter and can't wait for summertime where I find I do so much more outdoors. Family and friends who live in California have told me that they don't want to move up north because they don't want to deal with winter. Nothing is impossible but winter is hardly a selling point to most people I know living a warm climate. Of course winter is 'not that bad' or 'enjoyable' if its all that someone has ever known but not necessarily for others. I personally don't like extreme heat either though, I prefer moderate temperatures like San Fran.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:14 PM

22,239 posts, read 23,744,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Weather is probably negligible when it comes to those expert arbitrary "rankings", in when it comes to real people, it usually is very important. Those quality of life rankings, let's just ignore them - they are out of touch with reality and only use a fixed set of standards.

Weather not important? I have heard so many people reject the idea of moving to Canada due to the cold and long winters. that's a fact. And if I left someday, it would be largely because of the long winters as well.

Speaking of Nordic countries, they are mostly not as cold as most Canadian cities such as Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal/Calgary. Oslo/Stockholm has warmer winter than Toronto, not to mention the other CA cities. We probably can't find any large EU cities that are as cold as Montreal/Ottawa/Calgary.

Spain and Portugal, well, this has more to do with how they managed their economy and has nothing to do with weather. I don't know why you bring them up. Norway has a per capita GDP of $100,000, compared with 30K and 20K for Spain and Portugal. It has higher quality of life because it is much richer.
I'm not saying the weather has influenced how Spain and Portugal have turned out - but clearly weather is a secondary factor as far as most people are concerned, because job security, safety, earnings, education and health are all far more important than the weather. Clearly the Norwegians have it way better than the Spaniards despite being a cold country with overcast skies more often than not, so the good weather of Spain has clearly not helped its economy from experiencing a deep and elongated recession - it has only helped with tourism, and a country cannot rely on that. Norway and Sweden are mild for the latitude, but they're still cold. Stockholm and Oslo are still cold. Winters last longer than in Toronto and Stockholm and Oslo are more likely to get very long periods of snow lasting for 3 months or more, whereas Toronto is not.

Just saying - weather is not that important. Maybe it is to you - but to a lot of people, it isn't. Canada is a successful, wealthy country - plenty of people would love to live there and plenty of people move there - plenty of people have moved from the UK to Canada despite winters there being notoriously cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or