U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:59 AM

21,959 posts, read 27,390,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
On a somewhat related note, can you find raspberries growing wild along ditchbanks and other undisturbed plots of land in your neighbo(u)rhoods?
They are invading my backyard which has a forest and accompanying underbrush adjacent to it.

Not sure what to do to stop them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 10:01 AM

5,692 posts, read 6,544,693 times
I'm putting in a garden. We had snow on May 1st - everything here is a month behind. Most of my garden is in but then I had tiller trouble. I saw a heirloom tomato grafted onto a hybrid stem at the greenhouse. Supposedly this type of tomato offers up 50% more fruit. So that's one of my experiments for this year. And asparagus peas. Never heard of asparagus peas before but I like asparagus and I like peas so I also planted asparagus peas. The are up and I guess I'll see how they do.

The Asparagus Pea—A Wonderfully Frolicsome Legume - Brooklyn Botanic Garden

So now I will go back to my tiller problem, which I hope doesn't occupy me all day.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:05 AM

21,959 posts, read 27,390,495 times
Quote:
Anyone gardening this year?
Everything at my place is late from two weeks to a month because of the cold winter and cool spring.

My apple trees have flowered (come and gone) and my peonies have flowered as of yesterday.

Irises are close to flowering but they are way behind.

Lilies have just popped out a bit and probably won't flower for St-Jean-Baptiste (June 24) like they usually do.

Hémérocalles (day lilies?) have leaves out but aren't even close to flowering.

Rose bushes should be flowering within the next week.

Sandcherry has flowered but it's always early.

Hydrangeas aren't even close to flowering.

Potentillas struggling to get leaves.

Hollies are slowly waking up.

Weigelas have a few small flowers on them but slow in waking up.

Physocarpus should flower within a week or so but also very late.

Lilac very late as well - only the beginnings of flowers on the branches so far.

How's that for a report?

Old 06-04-2014, 11:31 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,026,175 times
Our lilacs have come and gone.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:10 PM

7,276 posts, read 6,604,283 times
Quote:
Anyone gardening this year?

On a somewhat related note, can you find raspberries growing wild along ditchbanks and other undisturbed plots of land in your neighbo(u)rhoods?
Domestic raspberries grow well here but there are no wild ones growing in populated areas here in the lower mainland, but once you get out of the populated areas up into the mountains and along rivers - or on farms in the valley - there are wild indigenous raspberries that are very small and tart. Also an abundance of salmonberries, thimbleberries, huckleberries, blueberries, strawberries and blackberries.

The blackberries are almost a horror story - they are Himalayan Blackberries which were introduced to the west coast by a Bavarian immigrant to Washington state in the late 1800's and they escaped and mutated into monster-briars in this rain forest climate and now they are classified as an invasive species everywhere on the west coast from Oregon to Alaska. They are a menace in every town, on every street, every park, every back yard, popping up through sidewalks, parking lots, growing up trees and telephone poles, along fencelines, in the wilderness choking out creek and river banks - they are as bad as the kudzu vines in the south. But by God, those blackberry fruits are abundant beyond belief growing in thick clusters that hang like bundles of grapes and the berries are big, juicy and delicious.

My garden is doing very well and I picked some of my first ripe strawberries yesterday and they were yummy.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-04-2014 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 01:44 PM

9,552 posts, read 9,429,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
They are invading my backyard which has a forest and accompanying underbrush adjacent to it.

Not sure what to do to stop them!
Eat the berries, then spray the canes with triclopyr or glycophosphate.

I love raspberries, but the plants can't handle our heat. Blackberries can, though.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:53 PM

9,552 posts, read 9,429,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The blackberries are almost a horror story - they are Himalayan Blackberries which were introduced to the west coast by a Bavarian immigrant to Washington state in the late 1800's and they escaped and mutated into monster-briars in this rain forest climate and now they are classified as an invasive species everywhere on the west coast from Oregon to Alaska.
I think that is the variety I transplanted from a field across from my Aunt Judy and Uncle Ronnie's house into my backyard a couple of years ago. The drupes are growing. I have a pair of long gardening gloves that I use for pruning them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or