Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:46 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times

Advertisements

Few Aussies would argue that Australia's unofficial national anthem is "Waltzing Matilda", capturing the mood and psyche of the country (in the 1800s at least) far better than the staid, stilted and outright tedious "Advance Australia Fair". Most Australians would struggle to remember a single full verse of our nation anthem, but could probably sing half of Waltzing Matilda if they were so inclined.

Waltzing Matilda song meaning, words, lyrics

Does Canada have a similar popular expression of the national spirit or zeitgeist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 03:06 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
The only thing I can think of is the Hockey Theme The Hockey Theme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
"The Hockey Theme" is a Canadian theme song written in 1968 by Dolores Claman and orchestrated by Jerry Toth.[1] It has been referred to as Canada's second national anthem
And then there's this too, about hockey again. The Hockey Song - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
"The Hockey Song" is a song written and originally performed by Canadian folksinger Stompin' Tom Connors. The song first appeared on Connors' 1973 album, Stompin' Tom and the Hockey Song.[1] The song did not reach its tremendous popularity until 1992. It was at this time that the song was played at Ottawa Senators games.[2] Pat Burns, then coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs, insisted it be played in Toronto as well. [3] The song is now played throughout both Canadian and American NHL arenas.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 AM

484 posts, read 1,285,750 times
The Maple Leaf Forever

The Maple Leaf Forever - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-02-2014, 09:05 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
I would suggest " The North West Passage " about the search for the lost Franklin Expedition, in our Arctic wilderness.

The best rendition is by the song writer, now sadly dead, Stan Rogers. A huge voice, and a strong supporter of Canadian history, and our sea faring traditions.

link to Stan Rogers, in concert video. https://www.google.ca/#q=the+northwest+passage+song

His music pops up in many places, such as this segment from the series " Due South " where RCMP constable Fraser, leads a group of seamen in the singing of "Barrets Privaters " a great song that I learned at summer camp, in Algonquin Park in the early 1960's.

link.
Fraser sings "Barrett's Privateers" - YouTube

And finally, the Gordon Lightfoot master piece, The Canadian Railway Steel Triolgy, about the building of the national railway, from Ontario to British Columbia. CBC asked him for a song, to be used in our Centennial Year, 1967. Here is a "live " TV recording of that song. Gentle, strong, stirring, romantic, and driven to "get her done ". Just like Canadians eh ?

link
gordon lightfoot canadian railroad trilogy live in concert bbc 1972 - YouTube

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:22 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
All of them are good songs (although the Northwest Passage I had never heard of) but none are really as beloved or well-known across the population as Waltzing Matilda is in Australia.

Probably the most widely-known of the bunch is Stompin Tom's Hockey Song. It's also the only one that would register with at least some French-speaking Canadians (though not all of them would know it by any stretch) because it was played on occasion at Montreal Canadiens games and other arenas in Quebec.

But in a country with two official languages and due to other factors, cultural cohesiveness is not something that is easily achievable in Canada.

Australia is big as well of course but it puts it together with more success than Canada does.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:44 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Nope, there is no equivalent to Waltzing Matilda, and our actual anthem is actually quite well loved and popular at the level of regular people. It occupies its role as intended and all Canadians know it. None of those other songs holds a candle, and I couldn't even sing a bar of the Maple Leaf Forever if you put a gun to my head. And as much as I love Stan Rogers, most of my friends, who were all born after his death, do not even know who he is let alone any of his songs.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Nope, there is no equivalent to Waltzing Matilda, and our actual anthem is actually quite well loved and popular at the level of regular people. It occupies its role as intended and all Canadians know it. .
Good point. None of those negative perceptions about Advance Australia Fair really exist with respect to O Canada.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:17 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
My own complaint about MOST renditions of OH Canada..........is that it is a march, not a funeral dirge.

It should be sung or played, at a military marching pace. A proper military rendition, ( and I have heard it played hundreds of times, during my career,) is 112 seconds long.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
As Average Fruit said, it's Maple Leaf Forever.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
As Average Fruit said, it's Maple Leaf Forever.
I've always liked the melody a lot (better than O Canada's in fact) but the lyrics are potentially very divisive when you think of French Canadians and other minorities as well.

It's not really known at all in Quebec and when you consider that's a quarter of the country, and when you also consider the low levels of civic education (including national cultural icons) across the country you'd be hard-pressed to reach a 50% recognition rate for this song with the overall adult population of Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada