U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should burqa/niqab be banned in Canada?
Yes, ban it everywhere in public 26 46.43%
Yeah, but only on government places 8 14.29%
No 22 39.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 03:38 PM

34,377 posts, read 41,463,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Out of curiosity: would you be OK with your child's teacher being a woman who wears a full face and body covering with only a screen over her eyes?
Just so we are on the same page with the head gear issue i'll post a pic. I hardly think some one wearing a full burka will get too many job offers in regular teaching institutions or anywhere for that matter. but how about if the teacher wears a turban or a Jewish scull cap or have some symbol representing Budda, a mere necklace with a religious symbol?
As for Canada being anti Quebec? most Canadains outside Quebec that i talk to these days couldnt care less about Quebec, 60 years of Quebec whining about just how bad their lot in life is has become a rather ho hum affair.

PS, i just asked one of my wifes co workers who wears a Chador to her teaching job what she will do if asked by the religion police to not wear such i garment, she says she'll go to jail before giving up her choice of attire, which brings up the whole issue of enforcement if this legislation is passed into law...

Last edited by jambo101; 08-26-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 03:51 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,994,852 times
^^^ Thanks for the graphic.
But I must say that the hijab and chador (Iranians only) are perfectly fine and even have a different religious meaning/ history/symbolism when compared to the niqab or burka.

Also, the terms niqab and burka are often used interchangeably by many Muslim communities to mean the same thing - something that resembles the niqab (not really the burka shown above).

A very interesting (Canadian) article:
Farzana Hassan: Respect Women? Say No to the Niqab

Quote:
The following excerpt is from Farzana Hassan's book "Unveiled: A Canadian Muslim woman's struggle against Misogyny, Sharia and Jihad" (available here). It is taken from the chapter "The Burka Debate"
The Supreme court of Canada ruled on Thursday, December 20 that the niqab would not be permissible in courts of law in the majority of cases. The excerpt below explores some of the issues associated with the niqab and face veils in Canada, and explains why the practice of veiling must be discouraged in a free and democratic country like Canada.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:59 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,994,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
PS, i just asked one of my wifes co workers who wears a Chador to her teaching job what she will do if asked by the religion police to not wear such i garment, she says she'll go to jail before giving up her choice of attire, which brings up the whole issue of enforcement if this legislation is passed into law...
Fair enough. No one here is against the chador.
I am guessing your wife's co worker has some connection with Iran. It would be more interesting to know her views on the burka? It's history and what it means ... the symbolism .... it's use in the country ... .....
Post that here ....

Old 08-26-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Fair enough. No one here is against the chador.
I am guessing your wife's co worker has some connection with Iran. It would be more interesting to know her views on the burka? It's history and what it means ... the symbolism .... it's use in the country ... .....
Post that here ....
I've never got into a major religious discussion with the woman but she's one of those people who have converted to islam later in life, i guess if she thought the Burqa reflected her religious views then thats what she'd be wearing..

Old 08-26-2013, 05:03 PM

7,232 posts, read 6,579,297 times
Quote:

Out of curiosity: would you be OK with your child's teacher being a woman who wears a full face and body covering with only a screen over her eyes?
My children and grandchildren are all adults now - but if I had a child in school I wouldn't want them to have a teacher wearing full face and body covering with a screen over their eyes.

How would I know it was a woman and not a man? How would I know that it was an adult and not some young person who isn't really a teacher? How could I expect my child to interact with and be taught effectively by something that is non persona and in denial about its person-hood?

During the winter when I go out I wear a very long, wide scarf wrapped around my head, ears, neck and shoulders and it looks very much like I'm wearing a hijab. So much so that I have sometimes been mistaken for a muslim lady. I wear it thus to keep me warm because I'm old and susceptible to cold and wind - and I have no objection to being mistaken for an old muslim lady. Nor do I have any objection to the polite smiles in passing that I get from both muslim men and women on the street who have mistaken me for another muslim. They see my face and eyes and my returned smile and they acknowledge me as a PERSON.

A human being wearing full covering over their face and eyes is denying and being denied their person-hood. They are not a being, they are not a person, they are a nonentity. No, I wouldn't want my children being taught by a nonentity and I would not personally speak to or conduct business with a nonentity that is trying to disguise and hide itself from me.

I feel sad for those women who have had their faces and their person-hood taken away from them.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-26-2013 at 05:17 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 04:19 AM

For the separatist government the laying down of more linguistic laws is an irritant at best as most people are French or bilingual and those that arent or dont want to be just move elsewhere or not come here in the first place.
laying down restrictive religious laws adds a whole new demographic to those that wont be coming to Quebec and/or those leaving Quebec. . People tend to take their religion very seriously and wont give up its symbolism just because Xenophobic zealots in the separatist government tell them to do so. what will ultimately happen is many if not most will chose to leave Quebec or not come to Quebec if there are laws restricting aspects of their religions .
So the brain drain will continue from Quebec as not only linguistic issues force people elsewhere but now if proposed legislation is passed religious issues will force many to look elsewhere as well .
I'm not sure how an area is supposed to grow and prosper if theres nothing to attract people to move there.
Some other points to ponder.
http://nexuscanada.blogspot.ca/2010/...h-trouble.html

Old 08-27-2013, 04:43 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,437,604 times
Are men allowed to wear burqa and niqabs too? If homosexual and transgendered men are allowed to wear it in mosques then yes, thats seems more equal and society should be cool with that.

By the way are there any mosques that are welcoming to gays?

Old 08-27-2013, 05:16 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,561,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Are men allowed to wear burqa and niqabs too? If homosexual and transgendered men are allowed to wear it in mosques then yes, thats seems more equal and society should be cool with that.

Homosexuality is illegal in Islam. Indeed, several Islamic nations have death sentence for gays. Also if a women has been raped, she must have four witnesses as evidence.

Lot said to his people, “You commit such an abomination; no one in the world has done it before! You practice sex with the men, instead of the women. Indeed, you are a transgressing people.” His people responded by saying, “Evict them from your town. They are people who wish to be pure.” [7:80-82]

Lot said to his people, “How could you commit such an abomination, publicly, while you see? You practice sex with the men, lustfully, instead of the women. Indeed, you are ignorant people.” The only response from his people was their saying, “Banish Lot's family from your town; they are people who wish to be pure.” [27:54-56]

Old 08-27-2013, 07:12 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,812,476 times
Quote:

I don't believe it considered appropriate for men to wear female clothing in Islamic culture, with certain exceptions. As for transgendered people, I really don't know how the Muslim faith views this issue, and I imagine opinions are quite diverse. Perhaps you can look into it and report back to us. I would certainly be interested to know.

I think mosques are about as welcoming to gays as most Christian churches, Hindu temples (not including hijra), Sikh temples, Buddhist temples, many synagogues, and most places of worship. Which is to say, homosexual practices are frowned on, but i don't believe gays are prohibited from praying there. Sexuality or sexual orientation is not supposed to be something one focuses on when they go to pray, so I imagine that just about all places of worship frown on people openly discussing or flaunting their sexual orientation (gay or otherwise). In places that are supposed to be holy, things like sexuality, materialism, ostentatious displays of wealth, and other worldly concerns are not considered appropriate. Even for those churches and places of worship that welcome openly gay worshippers, I'm sure they also expect their congregation to leave their worldly concerns at the door and enter simply as a human who has come to pray and celebrate their god(s). This is partly why people are expected to dress modestly in places of worship; so that thoughts of a sexual nature do not taint what is supposed be a transcendental experience with a focus on meditation, reflection, and prayer.

That's the best answer I can give you. I mean, how would other people in the mosque know a particular person was gay anyways? And if some community members did know, I don't believe that any mosque would prohibit a gay person from praying there. Of course, there are Muslim (and Christian) nations where homosexuality is criminalized in one way or another, but places of worship are meant to be for everyone - even those people whose lifestyle does not necessarily coincide with the teachings of the religion.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:26 PM

7,232 posts, read 6,579,297 times
Quote:

Muslim men are prohibited from wearing women's clothing or other feminine accessories, including clothing and accessories made of gold or silk because they are considered feminine. However, men may wear loose head coverings and robes that are similar to women's robes in that they cover from head to toe but are distinctively male clothing. Men's clothing (like women's clothing) must be loose fitting and not outline or distinguish the shape of the body.

Homosexuality is prohibited in Islam so there will be no mosques that are welcoming to gays. Here is the philosophy behind the prohibition: http://beta.al-islam.org/180-questions-enquiries-about-islam-volume-one-practical-laws-ayatullah-nasir-makarim-shirazi/31

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-27-2013 at 08:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or