U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should burqa/niqab be banned in Canada?
Yes, ban it everywhere in public 26 46.43%
Yeah, but only on government places 8 14.29%
No 22 39.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Toronto
1,570 posts, read 2,811,986 times
Reputation: 1591

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Muslim men are prohibited from wearing women's clothing or other feminine accessories, including clothing and accessories made of gold or silk because they are considered feminine. However, men may wear loose head coverings and robes that are similar to women's robes in that they cover from head to toe but are distinctively male clothing. Men's clothing (like women's clothing) must be loose fitting and not outline or distinguish the shape of the body.

Homosexuality is prohibited in Islam so there will be no mosques that are welcoming to gays. Here is the philosophy behind the prohibition: http://beta.al-islam.org/180-questions-enquiries-about-islam-volume-one-practical-laws-ayatullah-nasir-makarim-shirazi/31

.
I read your link. Anyone else reading it should pay particular attention to wear the imam mentions what Muhammud himself said about homosexuality. For all the ranting and raving this imam does, the final paragraph might surprise you.

 
Old 08-28-2013, 09:33 AM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,223 posts, read 6,575,780 times
Reputation: 14173
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I read your link. Anyone else reading it should pay particular attention to wear the imam mentions what Muhammud himself said about homosexuality. For all the ranting and raving this imam does, the final paragraph might surprise you.
Re: where you say the imam mentions what Muhammad said about homosexuality, I couldn't see anything that was quoting Muhammad - so I'm not sure what you're referring to - could you copy and paste it here? Are you referring to the second to last paragraph where it is quoting what Imam as-Sadiq said?

The final paragraph (about punishment) didn't surprise me. I thought it was just as senseless as most of the rest of the philosophy there and so many other religious laws. But then I'm biased, I think all patriarchal religions and their laws are useless anyway, especially the Abrahamic religions.

.
 
Old 08-28-2013, 11:38 AM
 
Location: USA (dying to live in Canada)
1,034 posts, read 1,560,987 times
Reputation: 389
So most Canadians wants it banned... Another reason why I belong to Canada
 
Old 08-28-2013, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Toronto
1,570 posts, read 2,811,986 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Re: where you say the imam mentions what Muhammad said about homosexuality, I couldn't see anything that was quoting Muhammad - so I'm not sure what you're referring to - could you copy and paste it here? Are you referring to the second to last paragraph where it is quoting what Imam as-Sadiq said?

The final paragraph (about punishment) didn't surprise me. I thought it was just as senseless as most of the rest of the philosophy there and so many other religious laws. But then I'm biased, I think all patriarchal religions and their laws are useless anyway, especially the Abrahamic religions.

.
Oh, sorry, it wasn't the Prophet Muhammad he quoted, but imam as-sadiq. I actually thought the proscribed punishment was pretty tame and sensible compared to the practice of many Muslim countries. In fact, it makes a lot of sense to me. If I found out my son was having sex with another man, I wouldn't want any of my female relatives marrying him either, because the man is probably gay, and it makes little sense for a gay man to marry a woman. Those are not the makings of a happy marriage. I imagine that many gay Muslims are pressured to marry against their will just like Western men were (and still are some times), and I don't think this is right. As a straight man, I certainly could not imagine being pressured to marry another man, so I understand how a gay man must feel being married to a woman. It's a recipe for disaster. In this way, the imam quoted in the link has a point.

Furthermore, the final paragraph in the link states quite clearly that Islamic traditions do not talk much about homosexuality, except for "pithy" statements like imam as-sadiq's. Considering the long tradition of gay sex in Middle Eastern cultures, where women have been largely inaccessible to men since long before Islam, it makes sense that the Koran and older Islamic traditions wouldn't want to discuss the activity in depth. I think that many conservative Muslims would prefer men having sex with men over men having sex with women who are not their wives . The practice is widespread in the Islamic world.

Anyways, look at all the recent cases of gay men being attacked, beaten, harassed, and killed right here in Canada and the United States. Our laws may prohibit these things, but there are still a lot of homophobic people out there.

Last edited by TOkidd; 08-28-2013 at 01:42 PM..
 
Old 08-28-2013, 12:20 PM
 
34,368 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Reputation: 29858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
So most Canadians wants it banned... Another reason why I belong to Canada
23 responders vote for banning the Muslim head gear in your poll and to you that now equates to "most Canadians"?
 
Old 08-28-2013, 12:20 PM
 
9,334 posts, read 19,460,524 times
Reputation: 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
So most Canadians wants it banned... Another reason why I belong to Canada

You can't rely on a survey of 23 people on the internet.. how do you know everyone who responded was Canadian?
I'd talk to a therapist to get rid of this ill founded, illogical animosity towards others who are not Judeo-Christian, specifically Muslims. Islamophobes would not do well in a tolerant multi-cultural country.

Should Australia and New Zealand ban the burqa/niqab?
 
Old 08-28-2013, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Toronto
1,570 posts, read 2,811,986 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
You can't rely on a survey of 23 people on the internet.. how do you know everyone who responded was Canadian?
I'd talk to a therapist to get rid of this ill founded, illogical animosity towards others who are not Judeo-Christian, specifically Muslims. Islamophobes would not do well in a tolerant multi-cultural country.

Should Australia and New Zealand ban the burqa/niqab?
Agreed
 
Old 08-28-2013, 02:13 PM
 
Location: USA (dying to live in Canada)
1,034 posts, read 1,560,987 times
Reputation: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
23 responders vote for banning the Muslim head gear in your poll and to you that now equates to "most Canadians"?
Yes. It doesn't matter how many people vote... Look at the percentage and it is quite true and approximately accurate. Yes, most Canadians are against niqab and burqa.

Now, if you look at Australian/New Zealand they are more acceptable about it and more tie on poll results.
 
Old 08-28-2013, 03:17 PM
 
34,368 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Reputation: 29858
OK have it your way,
an American posts a poll on a Canadian forum and and comes to a conclusion that 23 responders from unknown origins represent 36 million Canadians, is this the level of intellect you someday hope to bring to the Canadian mosaic? if so you'll never get through the immigration process.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-28-2013 at 04:13 PM..
 
Old 08-28-2013, 04:21 PM
 
9,334 posts, read 19,460,524 times
Reputation: 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
23 responders vote for banning the Muslim head gear in your poll and to you that now equates to "most Canadians"?
It seems you never took a statistics class.
Your data is skewed and not representative.
first of, your test data is tainted, there is no way you can prove everyone that responded was Canadian to start.

Oh never mind.. there is no arguing with the inane and the obtuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top