U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should burqa/niqab be banned in Canada?
Yes, ban it everywhere in public 26 46.43%
Yeah, but only on government places 8 14.29%
No 22 39.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 06:07 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,463,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Welcome to Islam my friend.... This is just the beginning.

Muslim Family Found Guilty in Canadian Honor Killings | Video | TheBlaze.com
Its obvious you have never read the Quran.
Much like your knowledge of Canadian immigration where you encouraged a person with DUI to try to get into Canada via grayhound (OMG)

Last edited by minibrings; 08-30-2013 at 06:25 AM..

Old 08-30-2013, 10:13 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,561,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Its obvious you have never read the Quran.
Much like your knowledge of Canadian immigration where you encouraged a person with DUI to try to get into Canada via grayhound (OMG)
I have read the Quran clearly several times. I'm a professor and now a government worker.

They check your passport, ask few questions and then you are welcomed in to Canada.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:45 AM

9,529 posts, read 9,412,026 times
This appeared on the website for First Things:

Oh, Canada: Enshrining religious discrimination in law » First Thoughts | A First Things Blog

Old 08-30-2013, 11:23 AM

15,545 posts, read 13,532,447 times
I wonder why anyone would care what someone else wears.

Islam hardly is the only organized group that makes people wear a certian dress; Amish for example also look down upon its women if they wore something other than the required dress.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:53 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,271,603 times
Perhaps this is a good time to point out that............

The Government of the Province of Quebec has recently put up a "trial balloon" about passing a law that would make it illegal for any employee that gets a paycheque from the Quebec Government, would be prohibited from wearing any religious symbols or clothing, while at work.

This is billed as a act for "Quebec standards and culture ".

I see it as yet another way for the pure wool Quebecers, to cut out employment for those who are not "real Quebecers ". I can just imagine the screams from the Catholics who now work for the Quebec Government, when told they cannot continue to wear a crucifix to work, or the Muslims who can't wear their headscarves, or the Sikhs their turbans.

To me the underlying message is " Get with the program, and compromise your own beliefs, or get out of the job, so we can hire somebody WE like ".

Don't get me wrong... I DO NOT agree with the whole idea, but I can see where it will lead. Colour me a cynic, at least in this proposed legislation. It stinks.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:08 PM

34,381 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Perhaps this is a good time to point out that............

The Government of the Province of Quebec has recently put up a "trial balloon" about passing a law that would make it illegal for any employee that gets a paycheque from the Quebec Government, would be prohibited from wearing any religious symbols or clothing, while at work.

This is billed as a act for "Quebec standards and culture ".

This proposed bill is so obviously Xenophobic and racist no part of it will ever make it into law, the problem i have is why the Quebec government would even think to table such an idiotic bill in the first place, whats its point ? or are they just clueless?Why cant a Sikh wear a turban,a Jew where a scull cap/ kippa or a Muslim wear some form of head covering, why is it so vitally important for the Quebec government to try to outlaw religious freedoms?.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:09 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,463,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
I have read the Quran clearly several times. I'm a professor and now a government worker.

They check your passport, ask few questions and then you are welcomed in to Canada.
You only have a bachelors degree.. . you cannot be a professor, especially with your poor grasp of English

And if yhou really had read the Quran you would have known some of the things you quote are not true.. perhaps it was in English and English is definitely not your strength.

Canada customs checks their computer to see if you have a criminal record.. I'm sure you've heard of computers?

Old 08-30-2013, 01:21 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,014,486 times
Quote:
From what I understand, they say this bill should be applied to people in positions of authority only. Teachers, judges and police.

The moderate party in Quebec, the non-separatist Coalition pour l’avenir du Québec, wants the law against religious symbols to apply only to figures of authority: police, judges, and teachers. When a person’s job has them incarnating the authority of the state — as cops and judges do, though not really teachers — there’s a respectable argument for insisting on a purely secular appearance. If I’m a Muslim accused, I’m not going to be very happy if the cop arresting me or the judge presiding over my trial is displaying a crucifix or star of David. On the other hand, if that means Sikh men or Muslim women can’t ever be cops or judges, well, we went through that argument in the 1980s over turbans in the Mounties and both the force and the country seemed to survive the introduction of tasteful tan turbans. Our judges used to wear ceremonial wigs. A head scarf really isn’t going to bother anyone, is it?
Column: Quebec

Old 08-30-2013, 03:00 PM

34,381 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
From what I understand, they say this bill should be applied to people in positions of authority only. Teachers, judges and police.

The moderate party in Quebec, the non-separatist Coalition pour l’avenir du Québec, wants the law against religious symbols to apply only to figures of authority: police, judges, and teachers. When a person’s job has them incarnating the authority of the state — as cops and judges do, though not really teachers — there’s a respectable argument for insisting on a purely secular appearance. If I’m a Muslim accused, I’m not going to be very happy if the cop arresting me or the judge presiding over my trial is displaying a crucifix or star of David. On the other hand, if that means Sikh men or Muslim women can’t ever be cops or judges, well, we went through that argument in the 1980s over turbans in the Mounties and both the force and the country seemed to survive the introduction of tasteful tan turbans. Our judges used to wear ceremonial wigs. A head scarf really isn’t going to bother anyone, is it?
Column: Quebec

A leaked copy of the plan suggests the PQ wants to restrict public employees from wearing religious symbols like turbans, kippas, hijabs, visible crosses,stars of David and anything else that might be construed as religious symbolism.

Weltschmez you are ok with this Quebec Charter of Values becoming law?

I always thought the virtues of a free Country was making all groups who come to this country feel welcome , whatever their background, whatever their race, whatever their ethnicity, whatever their religion, I'm not comfortable with where laws like this can be taken when it comes to a government in a round about way restricting who can be here and who cant, whos welcome and whos not..

Old 08-30-2013, 03:01 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,014,486 times
Quote:
Weltschmez you are ok with this Quebec Charter of Values becoming law?

I do believe we already discussed this in Direct Messaging.
edit:
As an atheist, I like it. As a human rights advocate, I hate it. I'm torn.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 08-30-2013 at 03:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or