U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should burqa/niqab be banned in Canada?
Yes, ban it everywhere in public 26 46.43%
Yeah, but only on government places 8 14.29%
No 22 39.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 03:16 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,563,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
You only have a bachelors degree.. . you cannot be a professor, especially with your poor grasp of English

And if yhou really had read the Quran you would have known some of the things you quote are not true.. perhaps it was in English and English is definitely not your strength.

Canada customs checks their computer to see if you have a criminal record.. I'm sure you've heard of computers?
I have bachelor degree + certificates. I'm a professor at my local community college.
English is my third language. BTW many professors in my college speak way worse English than I do. Many Asians you could barely understand them, yet they are doctors, professors, lawyers, etc.

When I cross the border I never see them check anything on computers.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:20 PM

18,321 posts, read 10,398,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Political correctness. Many women are forced to wear Islamic clothing, so don't tell me it's their choice. Now, women in Pakistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia and many other Islamic nations are FORCED to wear hijab or burqa or niqab in public space, or risk of being killed whether by the family or state.

In Canada, some Muslims choose to wear burqa to spread Islam around, or forced by husbands. A young girl was killed by her father in Ontario because she did not cover herself!!

All this talk expended upon the premise of disallowing the wearing of theocratic clothing or icons when the topic of the day should be weeding out these bastards that can force ANY woman to wear something they do not wish to wear, cage them up like animals or otherwise treat them as chattels . That is the real meat and potatoes Canadians should be talking about.

Women sacrificed, fought long and hard battles for recognition in this country many generations ago and to allow any type of suppression of their rights and freedoms due to some misguided belief being given hands off status by the P/C crowd just makes my blood boil!

Old 08-30-2013, 03:49 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,450,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Look, I think a ban is authoritarian. People should be allowed to wear what they wish. Don't roll your eyes at me virtually, please. These type of garments are just a way of expressing one's culture.
I actually dont think they should ban burqas, But dont call people racist just because they think there should be a ban on burqas. There are very good arguements for and against it. As much as burqas and niqabs disgust me, I dont think they should be banned, it might alienate Muslims and make them more resentful towards others, and give them an excuse to get all in an uproar.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:54 PM

34,434 posts, read 41,537,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I do believe we already discussed this in Direct Messaging.
edit:
As an atheist, I like it. As a human rights advocate, I hate it. I'm torn.
Thanks for jogging my memory..

Old 08-30-2013, 06:13 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
In Canada, some Muslims choose to wear burqa to spread Islam around, or forced by husbands. A young girl was killed by her father in Ontario because she did not cover herself!!
Killing your children (or anyone's children, for that matter) is already illegal in Canada. If the father in your example was willing to break one of our most fundamental laws, why would he concern himself with something so minor as a clothing ban?

Quote:
[Canada] does have dress rules. For instance try to walk around naked or in a thong. You will be stopped, and told to put some clothes on. I don't see why we can't do the same with burqa.
That's simply incorrect. It's been established (most notably in Maple Ridge v. Meyer and R v. Jacob ) that nudity in a public place must offend against public decency or order to be illegal. In both cases, the women in question were not making a scene, nor attempting to draw further attention to themselves and were thus deemed to not be in contravention to either s. 173 or 174.

We can't make a similar law regarding the burqa because we have to either a) make it strictly about the burqa, in which case the law will not stand to a charter challenge or b) make a law regarding any face covering, rendering balaclavas, bandanas, ninja costumes and those stupid visors that some football players wear, illegal.

Quote:
In my experience if you tolerate the intolerant, then that gives them space to be even less tolerant. By banning it, then I believe they will switch to Hijab and they will feel perfectly fine with it. Its all about what you are used to. We are right now used to wearing clothes and would feel exposed if we didn't have them, but if we never used clothes then it would not have been a problem.
I have, living in Western Canada, a much different perspective of this. During the 1990's, there was something of a burgeoning white supremacist movement in east-central Alberta and west-central Saskatchewan. Attempts to outlaw that kind of behaviour had the inverse effect of legitimizing it.

It added a bit of taboo and sense of danger to an otherwise played out, dead philosophy. People, especially young guys, love taboo and danger. Sure, they couldn't demonstrate in the streets - but there were a lot more people involved than there were to begin with.

To change tack slightly, what would the response be were I, a white Canadian male, to start wearing a burqa? Should I be banned from doing so? Since I'm clearly not being oppressed by anyone, what justification would there be to force me to stop wearing it.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:04 PM

7,276 posts, read 6,604,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post

To change tack slightly, what would the response be were I, a white Canadian male, to start wearing a burqa? Should I be banned from doing so? Since I'm clearly not being oppressed by anyone, what justification would there be to force me to stop wearing it.
Good question. I don't think you should be banned from it but I think it would be rather disrespectful for you to do that.

I wouldn't complain myself but I think somebody would probably complain and protest about lack of cultural sensitivity and a cultural symbol being appropriated and worn by somebody else who doesn't have the cultural right to wear it. If a muslim man isn't allowed to wear it, why should any other man from another culture be able to? I think it would cause some people to get rattled. Like with what happened earlier this month when HM Canada retailers pulled headwear off it's shelves in several shops after complaints came in from an aboriginal. If aboriginals can do this then people of other cultures can too if their symbolic or cultural gear is appropriated, and I'm sure muslim protestors would be no exception:

H&M pulls 'hipster' headdresses after complaints of cultural insensitivity | CTV News

Old 08-30-2013, 09:54 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,817,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
From what I understand, they say this bill should be applied to people in positions of authority only. Teachers, judges and police.

The moderate party in Quebec, the non-separatist Coalition pour l’avenir du Québec, wants the law against religious symbols to apply only to figures of authority: police, judges, and teachers. When a person’s job has them incarnating the authority of the state — as cops and judges do, though not really teachers — there’s a respectable argument for insisting on a purely secular appearance. If I’m a Muslim accused, I’m not going to be very happy if the cop arresting me or the judge presiding over my trial is displaying a crucifix or star of David. On the other hand, if that means Sikh men or Muslim women can’t ever be cops or judges, well, we went through that argument in the 1980s over turbans in the Mounties and both the force and the country seemed to survive the introduction of tasteful tan turbans. Our judges used to wear ceremonial wigs. A head scarf really isn’t going to bother anyone, is it?
Column: Quebec
The problem is the whole slippery-slope thing - you can't partially suspend someone's Charter rights. Even a small infringement is an infringement. I personally think the argument about representatives of the state in society not wearing religious clothing is less reasonable than it seems. What about personal style and clothing choices that are not religious, but still show something about a person's value and beliefs? Why not give all government workers, teachers, bureaucrats, civil servants, etc, matching uniforms and shaved heads so that no one can show any individuality at all? Because really, why is a turban more offensive than a tangerine pant suit, or leather jacket, or a specific haircut? They all tell us things about a person's beliefs and values. Why are religious beliefs being singled out specifically? i see a certain point to not covering your face in some instances, because there are some jobs for which it is vital to see a person's face - i.e. teacher, lawyer, judge, police officer, comedian, doctor, etc. But banning all religious items takes it too far. Would we ban dreadlocks because Rastas are known to grow them as part of their religion? Would we ban the Celtic cross on clothes or jewellery? Where would the line be drawn and who would draw it?

It is a very thorny issue, and probably best left alone if no one is being hurt by the current protocol. Tampering with a person's fundamental rights to achieve some outcome is a very treacherous path to take.

Last edited by TOkidd; 08-30-2013 at 10:02 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 07:59 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,966,922 times
I see these sort of bans as another attempt to oppress minorities. Similarly to how black women are discouraged from wearing their natural hair if they wish to succeed in the corporate world. It's unjust and racist. Canada is a multicultural country and we need to respect this.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I see these sort of bans as another attempt to oppress minorities. Similarly to how black women are discouraged from wearing their natural hair if they wish to succeed in the corporate world. It's unjust and racist. Canada is a multicultural country and we need to respect this.
No it isn't. The main point is to ban face covering; what don't you still understand? Banning hijab (headscarf) would be ridiculous and Anti-Muslim since Muslim women must cover their hair according to Islam.

Also you need to stop tolerate the intolerant. Once burqa/niqab is banned, Muslim women would get used to it and they will start wearing hijab only instead of burqa/niqab.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:57 PM

Muslim conference cancelled after Quebec objects to speakers | CTV Montreal News

Way to go Quebec!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or