Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should burqa/niqab be banned in Canada?
Yes, ban it everywhere in public 26 46.43%
Yeah, but only on government places 8 14.29%
No 22 39.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:55 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Rather than deflect the importance of the issue and get all defensive and blame the rest of Canada for making a news story out of the issue and in some way ganging up on Quebec, would you care to defend the proposed legislation and tell us how this isnt a suspension of ones religious freedoms and how it benefits the people of Quebec.?
As long as Quebec remains a part of Canada it is incumbent on the province to exhibit those moral values that define Canada. this Charter of values doesnt IMO represent the many freedoms that come with the privilege of being a Canadian, to me this Charter has Xenophobic racism written all over it.
We're having a bloody debate! There are many views on this even within Quebec, so why the harsh judgement even before anything has been decided? That's the issue I have.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:36 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
While Islam has religous elements, for the most it a political ideology like Communism or Fascism, and thus wearing the birqa is not a constitutional right. Wearing the niqab or birqa is NOT worn for religous reasons. Rather, it is worn as a political statement that Islam will dominate the entire world. It is an insult to Allah to have a country where even one Muslim lives that does not join the House of Islam and implement Sharia.

Wafa Sultan hitting the nail on the head - YouTube

Geert Wilders - The Reality of Islam in Europe - Malmo, Sweden - October 27th 2012 - YouTube

Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,460 times

PJTV: Survivor Of Sharia, Wafa Sultan Now Fights Against It - YouTube

Muslims settle in the west to spread Islam.....

Old 08-24-2013, 05:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
There are, all over Canada, communities of people whose cultural traditions include the wearing of certain clothing. When you see them shopping, you quickly recognize them by their clothing, and by a few other characteristics of their faith/culture, such as refusing to drive automobiles.

If you object to women wearing a burqa, you must also object to Amish, Mennonite, Dukhobor, and all the other sects wearing the traditional clothing in public that they are accustomed to wearing and feeling comfortable in. You must also seek laws that criminalize Jewish men who wear the kippah or yarmulka. since it is forced upon them against their will.

Oh, but wait, they're not Muslim, so it is OK for them.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We're having a bloody debate! There are many views on this even within Quebec, so why the harsh judgement even before anything has been decided? That's the issue I have.
Nothing harsh going on AJ, in the context of a previous post regarding burkas i brought up Quebecs proposed Charter of Values which you promptly said was just another attack on Quebec by Canadas media.
In post 16 i merely asked you to defend this piece of proposed Quebec legislation to show it was just ROC media attacking Quebec for no justifiable reason.
My personal views of this type of legislation is its racist,Xenophobic and shows major intolerance from those who would suggest such legislation, As Quebec is still a part of Canada this type of legislation reflects negatively on all Canadians and is thus worthy of a news story.

Quote:
Quote:
The charter would ban Jewish, Muslim and Sikh head coverings, and other religious or cultural symbols, for workers in Quebec’s public sector/any Provincial government office: schools, Hospitals,daycares, drivers’ license examiners etc. Philosopher Charles Taylor

Last edited by jambo101; 08-24-2013 at 05:57 AM..

Old 08-24-2013, 05:53 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Nothing harsh going on AJ, in the context of a previous post regarding burkas i brought up Quebecs proposed Charter of Values which you promptly said was just another attack on Quebec by Canadas media.
In post 16 i merely asked you to defend Quebecs position on the issue as you seem to think if any one in the ROC has any comments on this proposed piece of legislation its by default an attack on Quebec
I said that Quebec even discussing the issue would lead to attacks and I was right it already has. But I don't see why this makes me have to defend anything in the PQ's position... which is not even clear at this point. Not that I am even a PQ supporter...

But I will defend is the fact that Quebec is allowed to have these debates without being unjustly attacked and judged before anything is decided.

If anything, in spite of the risks, it might be healthier to have a public discussion about these things instead of sweeping them under the carpet and letting them fester.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If anything, in spite of the risks, it might be healthier to have a public discussion about these things instead of sweeping them under the carpet and letting them fester.
Isnt discussing the issues what we are doing? you wont catch me sweeping human rights violations under the carpet..
What do you think will happen to the Quebec Charter of Values if left unreported and unchallenged,under the carpet so to speak?, i got a feeling it would pass into law,and Canada would be viewed as a country that supports this kind of ideology.

Quote:
Quote:
The charter would ban Jewish, Muslim and Sikh head coverings, and other religious or cultural symbols, for workers in Quebec’s public sector/any Provincial government office: schools, Hospitals,daycares, drivers’ license examiners etc. Philosopher Charles Taylor

Old 08-24-2013, 06:47 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are, all over Canada, communities of people whose cultural traditions include the wearing of certain clothing. When you see them shopping, you quickly recognize them by their clothing, and by a few other characteristics of their faith/culture, such as refusing to drive automobiles.

If you object to women wearing a burqa, you must also object to Amish, Mennonite, Dukhobor, and all the other sects wearing the traditional clothing in public that they are accustomed to wearing and feeling comfortable in. You must also seek laws that criminalize Jewish men who wear the kippah or yarmulka. since it is forced upon them against their will.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2013, 08:42 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Banning the burqa is due to the face covering, not because they are worn by some Muslims or not. If they did not cover their face, I and most of us would be fine. See, we did not say ban the hijab (headscarf), only burqa (face covering).

Old 08-24-2013, 09:10 AM

869 posts, read 1,125,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I've gotta agree with jambo here. What's the deal with Quebec lately? Is this the beginning of the Final Purge or something?
Could very well be a ploy with the power hungry PQ knowingly overstepping its jurisdiction only to stir things up and have Ottawa interfere so they can yell '' murder '' and steer the electorate toward yet another referendum which is their ultimate goal no matter what the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada