U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should burqa/niqab be banned in Canada?
Yes, ban it everywhere in public 26 46.43%
Yeah, but only on government places 8 14.29%
No 22 39.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2013, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,941 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Reputation: 8602

Advertisements

I'll have more time for people's criticisms of Quebec when someone like Irshad Manji is labelled xenophobic, racist, fascist or intolerant with equal venom...

 
Old 08-25-2013, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Toronto
1,570 posts, read 2,811,986 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
TOkidd:

I will have to give you request for sources of info some more thought, otherwise I will just end up sending you to Le Devoir, Radio-Canada, La Presse, etc.

And this made me realize just how few English-language journalists in Canada really ''get'' Quebec. Sure there are a bunch who are bilingual these days (way more than before), but those who really understand what makes this province tick are few and far between.

There was Graham Fraser - and they made him Canada's Commissioner of Official Languages.

The Toronto Star had Scotsman Bob MacKenzie at one point but he is now retired. He was often accused of having gone native, as was Ray Conlogue, an arts reporter for the Globe and Mail who was sent to Montreal. He segued into politics and sociology too much and was eventually summoned back to Toronto to cover less touchy stuff.

You'd think the local anglo reporters in Quebec would get it but lately they have regressed a great deal. Don Macpherson at the Gazette used to be really good but now he seems like an anglo rights crusader sensitive to every perceived slight against English big or small. I think the local Quebec anglo media in general are still in shock that the PQ actually won the election. They're still getting over the fact that, after being lulled into thinking IT was over forever, that it's not over. And are having trouble coming to the realization that it will likely never truly be over. Because of all this, it's a if they were too close to the issue to cover it objectively.

So it's really tough to find an honest opinion on Quebec in the English media these days - maybe Paul Wells?
Well what makes you think the francophone media is any more objective? There are sides to every story. Even journalists can only be as objective as their worldviews let them be.
 
Old 08-25-2013, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,941 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Well what makes you think the francophone media is any more objective? There are sides to every story. Even journalists can only be as objective as their worldviews let them be.
They have to be more objective on issues such as these because their audience is pretty much divided right down the middle (taking the issue of independence as one example).
 
Old 08-25-2013, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,941 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Reputation: 8602
Just comparing the coverage of the Secular Charter issue...

99% of the English Canadian media's coverage is based on the premise that it's a no-brainer about what's wrong and what's right. There is no nuance - the right way has already been established and is clear to everyone, and so the articles are mostly either finger-pointing at Quebec, or head-scratching about why Quebec ''is like this''?, when... geez... she's had such good parents.

The French Canadian media coverage has little of this finger-pointing (not even at muslims or various other groups - of course, someone here will cherry pick some examples showing the opposite), but most of it is related to actually debating whether this is a good idea or not. What a concept.
 
Old 08-25-2013, 09:37 PM
 
Location: USA (dying to live in Canada)
1,034 posts, read 1,560,987 times
Reputation: 389

Demonstration: Shariah The Solution For Egypt - YouTube
 
Old 08-26-2013, 01:30 AM
 
34,371 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Reputation: 29863
AJ you keep dancing around the issue but never really come out and say you support or dont support this proposed legislation..
Quote:
Quote:
The charter would ban Jewish, Muslim and Sikh head coverings, and other religious or cultural symbols, for workers in Quebec’s public sector/any Provincial government office: schools, Hospitals,daycares, drivers’ license examiners etc. Philosopher Charles Taylor
This bill will encompass more than just the Muslims and their head gear,it affects any one wearing any form of religious symbolism in a public place.Also in Charter of Values the word values can become a very broad brush depending on whos values and what values are to be applied, while you obviously think criticizing the potential implementation of such legislation is Canada doing its usual ganging up on poor old Quebec routine in reality its ROC speaking out on a piece of legislation that is morally wrong and doesnt exemplify the ideals of the free society we live in here in Canada .

Last edited by jambo101; 08-26-2013 at 01:51 AM..
 
Old 08-26-2013, 01:50 AM
 
34,371 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Reputation: 29863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

And this made me realize just how few English-language journalists in Canada really ''get'' Quebec. Sure there are a bunch who are bilingual these days (way more than before), but those who really understand what makes this province tick are few and far between.

There was Graham Fraser - and they made him Canada's Commissioner of Official Languages.

The Toronto Star had Scotsman Bob MacKenzie at one point but he is now retired. He was often accused of having gone native, as was Ray Conlogue, an arts reporter for the Globe and Mail who was sent to Montreal. He segued into politics and sociology too much and was eventually summoned back to Toronto to cover less touchy stuff.

You'd think the local anglo reporters in Quebec would get it but lately they have regressed a great deal. Don Macpherson at the Gazette used to be really good but now he seems like an anglo rights crusader sensitive to every perceived slight against English big or small. I think the local Quebec anglo media in general are still in shock that the PQ actually won the election. They're still getting over the fact that, after being lulled into thinking IT was over forever, that it's not over. And are having trouble coming to the realization that it will likely never truly be over. Because of all this, it's a if they were too close to the issue to cover it objectively.

So it's really tough to find an honest opinion on Quebec in the English media these days - maybe Paul Wells?
If this expose of Francophone victimization is what is representative of the current Quebec way of thinking its well and truly time for Quebec to pack its bags and free its self of the brutal suppression being inflicted on its hapless citizens by the evil Anglo oppressors.Have your referendum and leave..
 
Old 08-26-2013, 01:56 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,168 posts, read 1,750,830 times
Reputation: 2633
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
This bill will encompass more than just the Muslims and their head gear,it affects any one wearing any form of religious symbolism in a public place.Also in Charter of Values the word values can become a very broad brush depending on whos values and what values are to be applied, while you obviously think criticizing the potential implementation of such legislation is Canada doing its usual ganging up on poor old Quebec routine in reality its ROC speaking out on a piece of legislation that is morally wrong and doesnt exemplify the ideals of the free society we live in here in Canada .
A couple of things:

1) The PQ is a minority government. Its bills can be defeated by the other parties in the Quebec National Assembly.

2) Should Bill 14 pass, I am sure that a Charter challenge would be launched immediately. Even if Quebec guarded the bill with the Notwithstanding Clause (which it can, and probably would), I am sure that with appeals, we may well have a constitutional crisis on our hands--which is probably what the PQ wants. Reopen the Constitution, and ... well all bets are off, at that point.
 
Old 08-26-2013, 02:26 AM
 
34,371 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Reputation: 29863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
A couple of things:

1) The PQ is a minority government. Its bills can be defeated by the other parties in the Quebec National Assembly.

2) Should Bill 14 pass, I am sure that a Charter challenge would be launched immediately. Even if Quebec guarded the bill with the Notwithstanding Clause (which it can, and probably would), I am sure that with appeals, we may well have a constitutional crisis on our hands--which is probably what the PQ wants. Reopen the Constitution, and ... well all bets are off, at that point.
No chance of these two proposed bills passing as is as there is just too much opposition and the separatists are hanging on as a minority government. ,my issue with them is that they are tabled in the first place,Gee more restrictive language laws and a proposal to ban all religious symbolism in public.Why the need?
 
Old 08-26-2013, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,941 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
AJ you keep dancing around the issue but never really come out and say you support or dont support this proposed legislation..
Quote:
This bill will encompass more than just the Muslims and their head gear,it affects any one wearing any form of religious symbolism in a public place.Also in Charter of Values the word values can become a very broad brush depending on whos values and what values are to be applied, while you obviously think criticizing the potential implementation of such legislation is Canada doing its usual ganging up on poor old Quebec routine in reality its ROC speaking out on a piece of legislation that is morally wrong and doesnt exemplify the ideals of the free society we live in here in Canada .
Canadian ideals are upheld more or less strictly depending on which side of the fence you are on:

Supreme Court rules against tabling French-only court documents in B.C. - From The Wires - Macleans.ca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top