U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:17 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,321,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid55 View Post
This Is What Quebec Separatism Looks Like in 2013 | VICE

A tweet I read

@RemiFrancoeur1: latest CROP-La Press poll released this week shows Quebec support for sovereignty on the rise with those for independence at 40%. #Qcpol

If they seceded, how would the maritimes be connected?
If they seceded, they would have a hell of a fight on their hands with Quebec's Aboriginal tribes and the Mohawk Warriors Society who are well armed and have absolutely no intention of leaving Canada. Remember the Oka Crisis? Just think how that would have ended without the Canadian Armed Forces showing up to keep the peace.

On another note, Quebec independence would be very short lived considering America would never stand to have a civil war occur on its border. It is highly likely the Americans would immediately occupy Quebec if they attempted to secede in the name of national security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 07:26 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know taking in all this makes me wonder how Quebec is doing say 'psychologically'. I mean you all have this 'duality' always flowing along. There's practically an absolute 'demarcation' as opposed to say a fine intermingling with an undefined border if you get the drift between Quebecer cultures. It never apparently rests. The standards are usually made to be put into the sand. I don't know how long societies can deal with the pressure. The teapot's simmering real good now. From all I've seen, regrading the issues in Quebec, if they haven't been solved by now when will it be time? And who will pay the price? Somebody always pays the piper. No free cheques here. If you want a nice Quebec souffle, I know you have to scramble some eggs. Question is what kind of souffle and who's eggs will get scrambled real good?
Knock yourself out, les amis.

If you're looking for life satisfaction, these places will put a smile on your face. - Happiest provinces in Canada - Travel - MSN ca

Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
If they seceded, they would have a hell of a fight on their hands with Quebec's Aboriginal tribes and the Mohawk Warriors Society who are well armed and have absolutely no intention of leaving Canada. Remember the Oka Crisis? Just think how that would have ended without the Canadian Armed Forces showing up to keep the peace.

On another note, Quebec independence would be very short lived considering America would never stand to have a civil war occur on its border. It is highly likely the Americans would immediately occupy Quebec if they attempted to secede in the name of national security.
I don't even have to make this stuff up. See posts 97 and 98.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:23 AM

34,387 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know taking in all this makes me wonder how Quebec is doing say 'psychologically'. I mean you all have this 'duality' always flowing along. There's practically an absolute 'demarcation' as opposed to say a fine intermingling with an undefined border if you get the drift between Quebecer cultures. It never apparently rests. The standards are usually made to be put into the sand. I don't know how long societies can deal with the pressure. The teapot's simmering real good now. From all I've seen, regrading the issues in Quebec, if they haven't been solved by now when will it be time? And who will pay the price? Somebody always pays the piper. No free cheques here. If you want a nice Quebec souffle, I know you have to scramble some eggs. Question is what kind of souffle and who's eggs will get scrambled real good?
From my perspective and in my opinion everyone gets along just fine in Quebec the people are nice and Anglo and Franco get along well with each other,the problem comes in with the government and its ridiculous and unneeded language and secular legislation, basically laying out laws that have no point, as an example a recent banning of kids wearing turbans if they play soccer.
Let Sikh Kids Play Soccer | Sikhpoint.com
goofy legislation like this just serves to irritate people and makes the Quebec government look stupid..

Old 08-30-2013, 01:50 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,705,518 times
If you're looking for life satisfaction, these places will put a smile on your face. - Happiest provinces in Canada - Travel - MSN ca

Merci acajak..I'm a happy man. See? I still have optimism too, you know? I think I was in the pix in #2.....;-)....I heard the lilt of old French whispering from the stones and the air. I made alot of French 'friends' who walked that street and others back in the 17th and 18th!

and jambo...

Well I have to tell you I am a pretty interested football fan...Andl I think i'm rational too...;-)..... I don't throw bottles or coins or other stuff at guys when they score goals! What can you do about what the Quebec football organziers did? People don't think. One day perhaps a Sikh from Quebec will be up there in the top echelons of international football. When they do that bio, Quebec will be glad they retrieved there 'football' sense when it comes to the kids learning and playing the game.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:25 AM

35 posts, read 79,617 times
I hope they will separate ... They don't deserve to be Canadian.
Canada will be better without Quebec. No more bilingualisme, No more cash for Quebec, No more French Canadian prime minister, No more separatist idiots, No more referendum...

Old 11-19-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunemus View Post
A slight problem with this logic is that Québécois are basically the original Canadians.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A slight problem with this logic is that Québécois are basically the original Canadians.
They certainly threw that cultural heritage under the bus as Francophone Quebeckers these days dont like or identify with Canada and most Francophones arent that crazy about Anglos. While the likely hood of separation seems unlikely in the near future we cant forget a separatist government is the current ruling party of Quebec,their main objective is to separate Quebec from Canada.
Also i think the indigenous native Indians might have trumped the French as the rightful first inhabitants of this area of the world.
Some good reading on the chain of events.
http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/scrip....1&contentlong

Last edited by jambo101; 11-19-2013 at 10:29 AM..

Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,278,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunemus View Post
Canada will be better without Quebec. No more bilingualisme, No more cash for Quebec, No more French Canadian prime minister, No more separatist idiots, No more referendum...
No Quebec, no bilingualism!

I'm curious, are you an anglophone Canadian? Are you Canadian? I'm sure you aren't French. My curiosity is peaked by your poorly-written English.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:25 AM

Aliss if Quebec separated from Canada do you really think the ROC would continue to strive for some measure of bilingualism? what would be the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada