U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2013, 02:11 PM
 
3,072 posts, read 4,276,420 times
Reputation: 6512

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Some people on this board seem to take offense with many of my views (and Acajack's) when they relate to "the Quebec situation", yet we are bilingual.
Well, the offense seems to generally come from those who left Quebec quite some time ago and have no realistic view of current day-to-day life here for Anglophones. I feel like sometimes on CD, I am told what life is like for "me" here by those who haven't been here in years, decades, even.

Been here almost three years now and I'm still waiting to run into one of this nasty Frenchies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2013, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,937 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Well, the offense seems to generally come from those who left Quebec quite some time ago and have no realistic view of current day-to-day life here for Anglophones. I feel like sometimes on CD, I am told what life is like for "me" here by those who haven't been here in years, decades, even.

Been here almost three years now and I'm still waiting to run into one of this nasty Frenchies!
It's because they all hate you in secret and talk behind your back.

I also think they might have long pointy noises and fingernails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 03:12 PM
 
34,367 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Reputation: 29853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's because they all hate you in secret and talk behind your back.

I also think they might have long pointy noises and fingernails.
The fact that you would attribute this sarcastic analogy to Anglo ways of thinking speaks volumes on your usual contempt for the Anglo demographic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,937 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The fact that you would attribute this analogy to Anglo ways of thinking speaks volumes on your overall contempt for the Anglo demographic.
Not referring to anglos in general, but to a certain type of posting "ethos" on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 03:26 PM
 
34,367 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Reputation: 29853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not referring to anglos in general, but to a certain type of posting "ethos" on here.
Thats not quite the way it came out as answering this query

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2
Been here almost three years now and I'm still waiting to run into one of this nasty Frenchies!
With
Quote:
It's because they all hate you in secret and talk behind your back.

I also think they might have long pointy noises and fingernails.
Doesnt strike me as a certain type of posting ethos but more like a snide dig at the Anglo who apparently have paranoid delusions about francophones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 06:06 PM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,473 posts, read 1,963,351 times
Reputation: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Well, the offense seems to generally come from those who left Quebec quite some time ago and have no realistic view of current day-to-day life here for Anglophones. I feel like sometimes on CD, I am told what life is like for "me" here by those who haven't been here in years, decades, even.

Been here almost three years now and I'm still waiting to run into one of this nasty Frenchies!
Just because I have a difference of opinion doesn't mean that I'm telling you you're wrong.
I have nothing against French Canadians. I have said time and time again that I simply want the provincial government in Quebec to acknowledge the fact that 14% of the population actually exists, do away with the language laws. If the Ontario government were to declare English the official language of the province, I'd be equally upset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 11:51 PM
 
35 posts, read 79,574 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
I'm curious, are you an anglophone Canadian? Are you Canadian? I'm sure you aren't French. My curiosity is peaked by your poorly-written English.
I'm a naturalized citizen and I'm happy with my English.
I'm proud to be Canadian and I believe that I'm a better Canadian with my broken English than separatist Quebecois people.

Did I satisfy your curiosity?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 04:22 AM
 
3,072 posts, read 4,276,420 times
Reputation: 6512
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunemus View Post
I'm a naturalized citizen and I'm happy with my English.
I'm proud to be Canadian and I believe that I'm a better Canadian with my broken English than separatist Quebecois people.

Did I satisfy your curiosity?????
Your English is as good as my French

Your knowledge of Canadian demographics is lacking if you think bilingualism is based entirely on Quebec. Also, the comment about French prime ministers Just plain 'ole discrimination. Do you know that Justin Trudeau identifies as francophone? Wait for it... it will happen. Whether you agree or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2013, 07:37 AM
 
72 posts, read 89,618 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Are you thinking about the Spanish-American war? What makes you think the United States wants Quebec?
The ownly thing we may want is the good cooking !!! For the rest we can do without it OUI !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2013, 07:43 AM
 
72 posts, read 89,618 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Yep. Can't run a country on maple syrup. lol
But here in the USA we tried running our country on Hot Air......Can't say it is working well though !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top