U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:14 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, I would stay unless my family's economic situation became untenable.

AJ you seem to be saying all this pro Francophone rhetoric you've been giving us over the years is determined solely by dollars and cents?To my way of thinking in a separate Quebec sacrifices will probably have to be made, if not theres no point to Quebec separating.
Also if your financial situation becomes untenable in Quebec dont you think millions of other Quebecers are going to be experiencing a similar financial ordeal?
Your claims of being a federalist seem to be at odds with your idea that if you had to leave a separate Quebec you would throw Canada under the bus and move to another country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 05:51 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As an Anglophone living in Quebec i'd also worry about how the remaining Anglophone demographic would be treated in a separate Quebec, as a separate country of Quebec the ruling elite could impose any linguistic legislation it deemed necessary to achieve its linguistic purity ideals,Can you say fait accompli?
You take care of your family's interests, and I'll take care of mine's.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
AJ you seem to be saying all this pro Francophone rhetoric you've been giving us over the years is determined solely by dollars and cents?To my way of thinking in a separate Quebec sacrifices will probably have to be made, if not theres no point to Quebec separating.
Also if your financial situation becomes untenable in Quebec dont you think millions of other Quebecers are going to be experiencing a similar financial ordeal?
Your claims of being a federalist seem to be at odds with your idea that if you had to leave a separate Quebec you would throw Canada under the bus and move to another country?
I thought I explained quite clearly the reasons for my feelings.

Canada without Quebec for me doesn't exist anymore. You can even name Antarctica or part of the moon Canada for me if you want, but it won't be Canada for me simply because of the name.

As for the financial situation of a family becoming untenable, this can happen within the existing political structure as well. It happens all the time in fact.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
There are plenty of unilingual francophones in New Brunswick that don't speak any English or use it in their daily life.
Indeed this is true. Many of my relatives are like this in fact. What is unclear is if this possibility would be maintained in Canada sans Quebec. There would not be a big change initially but it would likely erode over time.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:

Canada without Quebec for me doesn't exist anymore. .
So lets drop your federalist charade as your federalist viewpoint fails if one province drops out of the Canadian union ,You dislike the ROC and the Anglo citizens that live there, you are a Francophone Quebecer pure and simple, You obviously have no patriotism for Canada And your patriotism for Quebec would last as long as you arent financially inconvenienced ?
The only reason i can see for your wanting Quebec to stay in Canada is not for the betterment of Quebec and Canada but to just maintain a convenient status quo in your life.
As for the unilingual Francophone in NB if Quebec separated? i dont see how their lives would change if they are already leading a Unilingual Francophone existence.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-25-2013 at 06:38 AM..

Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 AM

These repeated attempts at pigeonholing are getting very tiresome.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
These repeated attempts at pigeonholing are getting very tiresome.
You mean like calling Anglos all kinds of derogatory names like oppressors elitists,rulers,dominators,master class.Canada doesnt exist without Quebec. etc,
i'm not getting tired of it, its what makes a discussion forum interesting, if the forum content is just about every one agreeing with each other i doubt either of us would be here.

For those thinking Quebec might be seceding from Canada? not to worry it aint happening, now if Quebec were to call a referendum on the issue then we got something to worry about, but at this point they dont have the power to do so.... .

Old 08-25-2013, 02:23 PM

9,522 posts, read 9,405,124 times
How often do separatistes argue their case in fluent English and federalistes argue theirs in fluent French?

I sometimes wonder if the advocates for one or the other come across as reasonable in one language and fanatical in another.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How often do separatistes argue their case in fluent English and federalistes argue theirs in fluent French?

I sometimes wonder if the advocates for one or the other come across as reasonable in one language and fanatical in another.
Its not really a 2 way battle as the Quebec separatists are hell bent on separating from Canada end of story. The only thing Canada can say is we wish you would stay. theres no arguing going on,
Canada has nothing to say if Quebec votes to separate in a democratic referendum. Or hasnt chosen to say much in past referendums on the issue of separation.
Chris what do you suppose Canadas side of the argument would be?
My personal opinion is the separatists are nuts and as Quebec is part of Canada it therefore belongs to all Canadians, the province of Quebec isnt theirs (separatists)to leave with.IMO

Old 08-25-2013, 07:04 PM

3,500 posts, read 4,956,546 times
Quote:
As for the unilingual Francophone in NB if Quebec separated? i dont see how their lives would change if they are already leading a Unilingual Francophone existence.
Because in a potential Canada without Quebec, Francophones would become a tiny minority, and the national government might decide it's no longer worth the expense of continuing to print all publications, public signs, etc, in 2 languages, require bilingual public employees, and maintain Francophone schools. The new Quebec-less Canada, for that matter, may have more Spanish or Asian language-speakers than Francophones, who by their greater numbers may just as equally deserve bilingual services.

Last edited by slowlane3; 08-25-2013 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada