Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 PM

3,603 posts, read 3,345,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Because in a potential Canada without Quebec, Francophones would become a tiny minority, and the national government might decide it's no longer worth the expense of ... maintain[ing] Francophone schools.
Just a nitpick: constitutionally, the provinces are in charge of schools. I could see New Brunswick maintaining French schools, for example; other provinces with significant Francophone populations (such as Ontario and Manitoba) might do the same. But honestly, I don't know what would really happen, if it came to that.

Regardless, education is a provincial responsibility, as per s. 93 of the Constitution. The federal government has nothing to do with the provision of French schools in the English-speaking provinces, or officially-bilingual New Brunswick; or of English schools in Quebec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 08:23 PM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Just a nitpick: constitutionally, the provinces are in charge of schools. I could see New Brunswick maintaining French schools, for example; other provinces with significant Francophone populations (such as Ontario and Manitoba) might do the same. But honestly, I don't know what would really happen, if it came to that.

Regardless, education is a provincial responsibility, as per s. 93 of the Constitution. The federal government has nothing to do with the provision of French schools in the English-speaking provinces, or officially-bilingual New Brunswick; or of English schools in Quebec.
True technically, though the Constitution is (largely) the federal government's doing. And it is also the federal Supreme Court that ultimately is responsible for upholding what's in the Constitution.

And of course there is also the possibility that this section could be amended after Quebec independence. Anything could be on the table. Especially when it comes to French language rights. We've already had anglo MLAs in NB questioning why the province should have French schools - and this was fairly recently.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:51 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,592,260 times
Quote:
And of course there is also the possibility that this section could be amended after Quebec independence. Anything could be on the table. Especially when it comes to French language rights. We've already had anglo MLAs in NB questioning why the province should have French schools - and this was fairly recently.
When you note 'Quebec independence' is that along the lines of 'American independence' where ALL ties were completely severed from the mother country? If that's the goal of Quebec separatists well they could theoretically do whatever they like if anmd when secession occurs.

In that instance, Quebec will answer to nobody being a separate 'country'. Which leads me to think that if there is negotiation for an autonomous Quebec and if the fight to kick the 'Ingles' out of here in the 18th century is an indication, 'independence' while talked about say on and in the papers is a messy messy affair. Initially there's already the rocky relationship but who knows where things may go in the proceedings to secede. Serious stuff I think.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
When you note 'Quebec independence' is that along the lines of 'American independence' where ALL ties were completely severed from the mother country? If that's the goal of Quebec separatists well they could theoretically do whatever they like if anmd when secession occurs.

In that instance, Quebec will answer to nobody being a separate 'country'. Which leads me to think that if there is negotiation for an autonomous Quebec and if the fight to kick the 'Ingles' out of here in the 18th century is an indication, 'independence' while talked about say on and in the papers is a messy messy affair. Initially there's already the rocky relationship but who knows where things may go in the proceedings to secede. Serious stuff I think.
I think everyone here assumes there would be negotiations and it wouldn't be a hard split with border guards moving into position all of a sudden.

That said, I highly doubt that education rights for francophones in Canada-sans-Quebec and anglophones in an independent Quebec would be high on the list of priority items in the negotiations. If discussed at all.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 AM

64 posts, read 90,074 times
I don't think Quebec will ever separate. Nor do I think they have the reason too(Seriously they are taking money from the Federal Government).

I do however, think that the Canadians who say *Oh they'll rejoin in 1-10 years* are really disconnected with how secession and/or revolutionaries throughout history have done this.

Ireland would be way better off in the Union, yet they chose to leave. And it hit their economy hard. They still have one of the worst economies in the world. Yet they still choose to stay independent.

Even the United States had a good 40-50 years of hard time starting off. Any country spawned by secession or rebellions always do.

There are plenty of other examples of smaller states that have left larger ones and never went back. Some of which are still taking it hard for doing so. But they still don't go back.

And the people saying Quebec will become a third world country are ludicrous. Maybe low tier first world. In case You didn't notice, Countries who are 1/15th the size of Quebec are full first world countries. Quebec would do just fine.

I can however, see statehood, considering the US wants them. But rejoining Canada? No.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,592,260 times
Quote:
I can however, see statehood, considering the US wants them. But rejoining Canada? No.
Oh boy..that's drawing 'US' in!!!....;-)....

Old 08-26-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich S View Post
I don't think Quebec will ever separate. Nor do I think they have the reason too(Seriously they are taking money from the Federal Government).

I do however, think that the Canadians who say *Oh they'll rejoin in 1-10 years* are really disconnected with how secession and/or revolutionaries throughout history have done this.

Ireland would be way better off in the Union, yet they chose to leave. And it hit their economy hard. They still have one of the worst economies in the world. Yet they still choose to stay independent.

Even the United States had a good 40-50 years of hard time starting off. Any country spawned by secession or rebellions always do.

There are plenty of other examples of smaller states that have left larger ones and never went back. Some of which are still taking it hard for doing so. But they still don't go back.

And the people saying Quebec will become a third world country are ludicrous. Maybe low tier first world. In case You didn't notice, Countries who are 1/15th the size of Quebec are full first world countries. Quebec would do just fine.

Not sure about the US option, really.

But the thing about Quebec begging Canada to let it back in is a popular meme on the backyard BBQ circuit and in online forums for English Canadians.

The truth is you are right. No one ever goes back - it's a human nature thing.

I have quite a few African friends and many of them say that things were a lot better when the French or the British ran their countries. But would they go back to being colonies - NEVER!

Old 08-26-2013, 10:53 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,863,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's funny you should post something as inane as this and then say that Quebec separatists are not very smart.
Agree, its just typical anti Quebec/anti US rhetoric

Old 08-26-2013, 11:14 AM

64 posts, read 90,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Oh boy..that's drawing 'US' in!!!....;-)....
Whilst the US wouldn't take Mexico, Quebec does have a lot of resources that US companies can extract. I honestly don't think Congress or the Senate would give a care what Quebecers thought. Keep that in mind.

A Quebec Statehood would be only for what the land has, not for cause.

It also wouldn't have to be full integration either, Quebec could be a Vassal State of the United States. While still having it's own government in return for protection and funds. While the US has access to resources for a period of time during said Vassalization.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:11 PM

43 posts, read 52,110 times
If Quebec left Canada it with be devastating for both parties involved. What about those in Quebec that wish to remain Canadian? I have English family in Montreal (Kirkland) that hate the idea of Quebec separation. Montreal is not the French stronghold that some may lead you to believe. Quebec City on the other hand....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada