Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 02:38 AM

493 posts, read 514,496 times

Advertisements

I live in the Los Angeles area, and I'm considering traveling to a Canadian city next summer. I really want to go to Montreal, but airfares seem high (about US$600-700 from LAX) for a flight of that distance, with Vancouver being my second choice.

What would be the best choice for a one-week stay?

Montreal's French-Canadian blended European and American feel, and its very urban feel appeals to me the most. I may combine a day trip to Quebec City as well. For Vancouver, it's the natural setting, the outdoorsy feel, and its Asian culture that appeals. If I go to Vancouver, I may split a week between Seattle or Vancouver. Also, Vancouver has the edge of being closer to me, thus having cheaper airfares.

What do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 05:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
IMO I think the Montreal/ Quebec City trip will be a more culturally diverse experience.
While Vancouver is nice and scenic and the people are nice for the brief time you'll be there it would probably come off as just any west coast city USA.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:46 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
I've been to Montreal several times and Quebec City once. If you do go to Montreal be prepared for a bunch of arrogant French Canadians with anti-American sentiment. I tipped a bartender 1.00 U.S. for a single beer order and then I couldn't get another drink for the rest of the time there. Apparently that wasn't sufficient. A waitress at another place asked me if I was American upon hearing me talk and then proceeded to launch into a lengthy anti-American diatribe citing things such as how our corporations are evil. I interrupted her and told her to get the manager. I wonder if they spit in my food. Her tip was 0. Quebec City was quite nice but if you don't speak French the language barrier can be an issue. I was in Montreal for a lengthy business trip and we only managed to spend one day in Quebec so I didn't see a lot but it was better than Montreal. I've also been to Ottawa. Ottawa was another day trip so we didn't see much but it wasn't all that exciting. I've never been to Vancouver but I have been to Banff. Banff had a great party atmosphere, great sightseeing tours, and good skiing.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:05 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Rick:

You made a few errors, as a visitor to Canada.

Use Canadian currency. I can't spend my Canadian money anywhere in the USA, and I don't expect to be able to do it, either.

Remember that as a American, YOU are going be seen as a symbol of all the dumb things that your government does. And that includes many people, who live in Canada now, who came here from countries that your government has attacked, in the past. Not nice, but true, nonetheless. Some Canadians have a anti American attitude, based on the actions of your government, around the world.

Get over the idea that everyone in Canada must know how to speak English, they don't. A person can live in Quebec, all their life and have NO need to learn to speak English. None. They exist in a French language culture, with a complete society of their own.

Most people who come to Canada have a good time, it appears that you didn't.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:06 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Vancouver if you want to be awed by a gorgeous natural setting.

Montreal if you want to feel like you're in a foreign country.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:58 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
I split my life between both cities and I think Montreal is unquestionably the superior tourist experience. Vancouver is very nice though, it just has much fewer and lamer man made attractions then you'd expect.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:02 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
Actually, I'd have to say Vancouver/Seattle is a great split trip (I grew up in Vancouver and visited Seattle often).

Montreal, I've lived here for a few years, but in the suburbs and I've never had a proper "night out" downtown so I couldn't say.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:23 AM

493 posts, read 514,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Vancouver if you want to be awed by a gorgeous natural setting.

Montreal if you want to feel like you're in a foreign country.
This sums up very well my interest in both cities.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:28 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I've been to Montreal several times and Quebec City once. If you do go to Montreal be prepared for a bunch of arrogant French Canadians with anti-American sentiment. I tipped a bartender 1.00 U.S. for a single beer order and then I couldn't get another drink for the rest of the time there. Apparently that wasn't sufficient. A waitress at another place asked me if I was American upon hearing me talk and then proceeded to launch into a lengthy anti-American diatribe citing things such as how our corporations are evil. I interrupted her and told her to get the manager. I wonder if they spit in my food. Her tip was 0. Quebec City was quite nice but if you don't speak French the language barrier can be an issue. I was in Montreal for a lengthy business trip and we only managed to spend one day in Quebec so I didn't see a lot but it was better than Montreal. I've also been to Ottawa. Ottawa was another day trip so we didn't see much but it wasn't all that exciting. I've never been to Vancouver but I have been to Banff. Banff had a great party atmosphere, great sightseeing tours, and good skiing.
Were you behaving arrogantly? Somehow, I think the answer is in the affirmative. Most American tourists I've met LOVE Montreal, and can't say enough good things about it. Many ask me how to move up here, and tell me how lucky I am to live here.
Furthermore, your beer story is highly suspicious. I usually tip a buck for a beer and haven't encountered any attitude.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:58 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I live in the Los Angeles area, and I'm considering traveling to a Canadian city next summer. I really want to go to Montreal, but airfares seem high (about US$600-700 from LAX) for a flight of that distance, with Vancouver being my second choice.

What would be the best choice for a one-week stay?

Montreal's French-Canadian blended European and American feel, and its very urban feel appeals to me the most. I may combine a day trip to Quebec City as well. For Vancouver, it's the natural setting, the outdoorsy feel, and its Asian culture that appeals. If I go to Vancouver, I may split a week between Seattle or Vancouver. Also, Vancouver has the edge of being closer to me, thus having cheaper airfares.

What do you recommend?
Montreal + Quebec City is a much better choice.

I did both this and Seattle + Vancouver and the latter is not as exciting, but I am more of an urban person and stuff like Grouse Mountain feels boring to me. Climbing mountain A and mountain usually feels and same, and I honestly don't understand why people go over the world climbing 30 largely similar mountains.

Asian culture? You are from LA and what Asian culture you haven't seen? Spend one day in Monterey Park or Alhambra and you get to see everything you expect to see in Vancouver. Richmond BC is basically a Canadian version of those Chinese cities in LA.

As to Quebec people being "arrogant", are they kidding me? An American feels people are arrogant, maybe because Quebeckers didn't look at him in awe learning h is an American and makes USDs? Am I supposed to believe that a waitress, simply hearing that he is from the US, all of a sudden starts to criticize US corporation out of blue?? I doubt that. He must have said something to provoke such a reaction, most likely something in the line of complaining/critizing how things run in Quebec and casually mentioning how the American way is superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada