U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 01:46 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,438,884 times

Advertisements

Do you think Marijuana should be legalized? I know the American states of Colorado and Washington have legalized weed, But are there any other countries that have ouright legalized marijuana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 02:15 PM

7,237 posts, read 6,581,911 times
It's legal in Netherlands, North Korea and, at the state level, Washington and Colorado. In some of the countries where it's decriminalized it is used medically. I don't think it should be legalized (yet) but I do think it should be decriminalized. Once it has been decriminalized EVERYWHERE, then that's the time to determine what the conditions should be for it to be legalized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legalit...bis_by_country

Old 08-31-2013, 03:37 PM

34,380 posts, read 41,471,780 times
I say legalize it and tax it like cigarettes and alcohol, Its not like keeping the stuff illegal is keeping people from using it,if some one wants to smoke pot its as easy to get as going to the nearest bar.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:23 PM

12,688 posts, read 8,753,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's legal in Netherlands, North Korea and, at the state level, Washington and Colorado. In some of the countries where it's decriminalized it is used medically. I don't think it should be legalized (yet) but I do think it should be decriminalized. Once it has been decriminalized EVERYWHERE, then that's the time to determine what the conditions should be for it to be legalized.

Legality of cannabis by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Splitting hairs, but it is actually illegal in The Netherlands. The link you gave says so in the table, but concedes in it's heading that it's " effectively legal ".
I travel to The Netherlands quite a bit, and lately they have been reexamining the issue. They wanted to make it available only to citizens, since so many dope tourists behave badly. It didn't get anywhere though.

I agree it should be decriminalized everywhere as well. The Amsterdam issues would not be there if the rest of Europe, U.S. Canada etc followed suit.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:34 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,561,402 times
I hope NOT

Old 08-31-2013, 06:12 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,159,648 times
Whynot, JFJ? Them radical jihadists you keep warning us about won't even move off the couch if they're smokin' blunts all day. I mean, they might wreak havoc on the national Dorito supply, but thats about it.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:11 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,438,884 times
With decriminalization you can smoke it without worrying about police, but still can't grow or sell it? How does decriminalization work exactly?

Its been a hot topic on the news lately, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:23 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,032,932 times
It might be depenalized. It is unlikely to be legalized.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:26 PM

7,237 posts, read 6,581,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
With decriminalization you can smoke it without worrying about police, but still can't grow or sell it? How does decriminalization work exactly?

Its been a hot topic on the news lately, it will be interesting to see what happens.
There's a pretty good article here about decriminalization vs. legalization (in BC) with the goals of the Sensible BC campaign and proposed Sensible Policing Act:

Decriminalize or Legalize? | Vancouver Sun

The Sensible Policing Act has two main goals. 1 - Decriminalization of marijuana possession and 2 - to work towards legalization.
THE SENSIBLE POLICING ACT | SensibleBC

The Sensible BC campaign to collect 400,000 signatures will be starting on September 9th and runs til December 5th.
SensibleBC | Campaign for a Marijuana Referendum

Quote:
If the Sensible BC campaign succeeds in gathering the signatures we need this September, then the referendum would be held in September 2014. If that referendum passes, then the Sensible Policing Act would be put into force during 2015, and hopefully we could have full legalization in BC by 2016, after the next federal election.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:10 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,964,098 times
We need to educate children about the consequences and dangers of smoking marijuana. It's not a "safe" drug like the majority of people think it is. I think legalisation will send the wrong message. Maintain the status quo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or