U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 11-14-2007, 06:39 PM
17 posts, read 70,750 times
Reputation: 20


Hey Everybody, I have several questions regarding tuition and the university system in Canada. I am a dual citizen of both countries and have lived in Alberta for 12 years and resided the last 6 in Seattle, WA.

1) How competitive are Canadian Universities and what kind of requirements do they have esp. Delhousie University, Concordia University and U of Saskatchewan. I am considering those because they have the major I want urban planning.

2) Will I be considered an international student even though I am a Canadian Citizen and will that affect admissions.

3) How does the fin aid system work in Canada. Will I be able to recieve Fin aid even though my parents haven't filled out Canada tax return since we havent resided there in 6 years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 06:58 PM
4,285 posts, read 13,985,846 times
Reputation: 3830
Universities are administered by the governments of the provinces in which they are located. Each province has a slightly different methods of payment, selection, financial aid, etc.

The universities you have mentioned are in 3 different provinces: Saskatchewan, Quebec, and Nova Scotia.

For airtight answer rather than forum speculation, I suggest that you contact the Registrar's Office of each university with your specific questions.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2007, 03:36 PM
575 posts, read 2,789,276 times
Reputation: 254
The admissions will ask you to fill out a form to determine "fee status" but the criteria is set based on what the government requires. Normaly, universities require you to live in a state/country for a certain amount of time preceding the start date of the course to be classified as a "home" student. THe thing is though is that you won't need a visa
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top