Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 08:07 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times

Advertisements

Also are there any good colleges in Canada that are better than US colleges? Oh yeah, what is the cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 08:51 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
If you have good grades go to college in America, there better and they will most likely give you a good scholarship, if you get okay grades like a 2.5GPA go to Canada it will be cheaper.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:01 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,460 times
McGill is the Harvard of Canada located in beautiful Montréal! It's English speaking university.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
McGill is the Harvard of Canada located in beautiful Montréal! It's English speaking university.
While McGill is considered an Anglophone institution there are many Francophones attending.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/student.asp

Old 09-01-2013, 05:19 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Keep in mind some McGill programs require that you speak French (something a lot of people don't realize until they have to be tested for entry). My program does. Nearly all programs requiring some form of work experience/practicum require a functional level of French. Good school but I wouldn't call it a Harvard.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
My daughter who starts at McGill on Tuesday had an orientation meeting last week, in her group of 40 people she told me their were only 4 people from Quebec her being the only Anglophone among the 4 the rest of the group were from all over the world but predominantly from ROC..
Her cost to go there is about $3000 per year, international students 10X that amount

Last edited by jambo101; 09-01-2013 at 06:28 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 06:07 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Also are there any good colleges in Canada that are better than US colleges? Oh yeah, what is the cost?
McGill and University of Toronto are the only universities that are the most well known Canadian ones that I know of. McGill (#34) is not in the top 25 in the world, but University of Toronto (#21) is. So, there's only one Canadian uni that is better than most US unis, and that is U of T.

If you're worried about cost and the ranking at the same time, then U of T is not worth the extra expense. U of T is outranked by 3 public unis in the US: University of Michigan, UC Berkley, and UCLA. U of T is very very expensive for foreign students, and financial aid will not cover the entire cost. So, you better have as close to a 4.0 GPA as possible if you want to be able to study at U of T without forking over a kidney. In contrast, depending on your family's income, financial aid will cover up to 100% of your COA if you stayed in the US

Old 09-01-2013, 07:35 AM

If there was a Harvard equivalent (and there is not really), yes, it would be U of T.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My daughter who starts at McGill on Tuesday had an orientation meeting last week, in her group of 40 people she told me their were only 4 people from Quebec her being the only Anglophone among the 4 the rest of the group were from all over the world but predominantly from ROC..
Her cost to go there is about $3000 per year, international students 10X that amount
Congrats! Yep, I believe it! It really depends on the program. Education, speech sciences, nursing, etc. anything that requires internship/placing within the community, they require French. Now, they require it on paper, whether or not in practice, I have no idea. My placements are in the francophone school district so you can imagine that Pauline requires me to

I don't think it's worth going to university in Canada as an international student unless you are here to learn English or French while studying. If you are from the USA then you need a pretty darn good reason to justify the 5-10x cost tuition, because the government does not assist.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:05 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times
University of Toronto ranks between 18th and 21st in the world overall, depending on your source. It's right up there with Cornell and Univeristy of California, Santa Barabara. So it is better than most American universities, and only ranks below the US Ivy League, Oxford, MIT, and a couple others. Having completed two degrees at U of T, I can tell you the quality of education is excellent, especially for graduate studies, Liberal Arts, Law, Medicine, and Engineering. The university's setting in the heart of downtown Toronto is also an excellent feature, and it has a beautiful campus with many fine 19th Century buildings.

Besides U of T, other excellent Canadian universities are McGill (as others have explained, you need to speak French to attend, I believe), Queens in Kingston, Dalhousie in Halifax, and University of BC in Vancouver. All of these schools fare well in the international rankings.

American students can attend Canadian universities pretty easily, and the cost is cheaper than American schools. I had many American classmates in my undergrad years. Many of them choose to live in residence, because the cost of living in Toronto is very high compared to living in residence. However, if you plan to attend University of Toronto, you had better have a 3.5 GPA or higher, depending on the program. Academic standards are also higher for International students than Ontario students, so your grades should be in the mid-to-high 80's, minimum. When I was in undergrad in the early-2000's, the course fee for international students was about 2-3 times higher than for Ontario students. The residence fee was also higher. In total, Americans paid a little more than double Canadians for courses and residence for a year. i don't know how much it's changed, but fees have gone up considerably in Ontario universities since then. I don't believe the fees are 10x higher at Ontario institutions for international students, as jambo said they were in Quebec.

Last edited by TOkidd; 09-01-2013 at 09:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada