U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 04:42 PM

18,272 posts, read 10,371,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Why would anybody want to learn Greek (a relatively minor language) spoken by less than 15 million people worldwide in only 2 countries? Latin is a dead language anyway.

Just because you study these teo languages and take calculus doesn't make you smarter

Oh brother; how on earth do YOU judge the capacity of somone to learn?

The fact they are becoming more obscure as languages might just make them more desirable for someone to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 04:53 PM

7,232 posts, read 6,579,297 times
Latin is alive and well in botany.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:19 PM

5,327 posts, read 11,047,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Why would anybody want to learn Greek (a relatively minor language)
spoken by less than 15 million people worldwide in only 2 countries?

The fact they are becoming more obscure as languages
Greek is becoming obscure ?

Old 09-14-2013, 07:56 PM

410 posts, read 464,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
Only Calculus. It's not required for graduation of high school, but it's required for admission to many university programs. I had to take Calculus for admission to my biology program. Calculus was probably the most popular of the "3 math" courses.
I believe that calculus, as well as differential equations and linear algebra should be a graduation requirement. Furthermore, all high school graduates should have at least two years of physics and chemistry. This could be easily accomplished by compressing the subject matter (when I went to high school in Ontario, the math covered in Grade 9 and 10 combined could have been easily covered in one semester, by way of example), as well as eliminating periods in useless subjects (English literature, needless memorization of Shakespeare comes to mind).

Old 09-17-2013, 08:59 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,566,557 times
Why in the world should someone take those things you suggest if they have no interest in them or very little aptitude in those areas. You sound like someone who thinks science is the only important subject and things in the arts are useless.

Let me tell you, there are probably more people employed in fields that have nothing at all to do with any science as there are people employed in scientific jobs.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:25 PM

15,891 posts, read 15,295,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Greek and Latin would be extremely rare these days, although if you meet highly-educated people over 50 in Quebec who went to collèges classiques in the 50s and 60s, they all took Greek and Latin. My father-in-law and many of his friends are like this, and have great fun deciphering words from various languages as a result. What can I say - it amused them.
I can identify. It amuses me, too. I took Latin in high school in the 60s because I already spoke Spanish and English. What a boon that was for me. Those two years of Latin enhanced my life. No lie. I'm an avid reader and I love lexicology. Latin helps me even today when figuring out the meaning of words. Bless those Latin word roots. "Video" = I see. "Volvo" = I roll, are just some examples. It's amazing how so many languages are Latin based. I managed to get through college without taking a language but I still remember my Latin.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:03 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,704,474 times
You now I think our modern world has kind of put aside those great 'historical' languages such as ancient Greek and Latin. It's almost as if they are now only for scholars who technically need it for study. I guess it's true nobody cares about the 'classics' nor the 'classical' languages today.

For myself, I was introduced to Latin in grammar school and like the above poster have found that it was a 'boon' for me too in understanding words and their origins. And looking at the ancient Greek when reading history is truly fabulous to get the sense of the age.

And as an aside just in case the Vatican wants to be bring back 'dat old time religion' with that 'old' Latin liturgy when saying Mass I can oblige since I know the whole Mass in Latin. Never forgot it, never will! Personally, I think there's something to be said for learning languages when you are very young!....;-)....

Old 09-18-2013, 08:00 AM

9,524 posts, read 9,409,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
And as an aside just in case the Vatican wants to be bring back 'dat old time religion' with that 'old' Latin liturgy when saying Mass I can oblige since I know the whole Mass in Latin. Never forgot it, never will! Personally, I think there's something to be said for learning languages when you are very young!....;-)....
Some Catholic churches do offer the Latin Mass. It is usually one church in a big city that does it.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:07 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,012,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I can identify. It amuses me, too. I took Latin in high school in the 60s because I already spoke Spanish and English. What a boon that was for me. Those two years of Latin enhanced my life. No lie. I'm an avid reader and I love lexicology. Latin helps me even today when figuring out the meaning of words. Bless those Latin word roots. "Video" = I see. "Volvo" = I roll, are just some examples. It's amazing how so many languages are Latin based. I managed to get through college without taking a language but I still remember my Latin.
I don't know Latin, but being a polyglot helps immensely. I can decipher a lot of words of languages that I don't speak. There are many commonalities. If it's unfamiliar in English, it could be quite familiar if you know Russian and French. I don't speak German or Dutch, but I can decipher quite a bit.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:36 PM

196 posts, read 342,287 times
MOS you Canadian-baiting troll you. Just looking for someone to say "yes", eh?

Not sure if the courses selected are the best to illustrate the point either. But there are some differences in the courses of Canadians and Americans.

For example, "Civics" is pretty much a dead issue in Canada. History is an option at the Grade 11 and 12 level (at least it was back when I was in school) and the big Three sciences (Chem, Physics, and Bio) were all optional; take one, and the other two were your choice.

No languages were offered in my school other than French, and it was an option for Grades 10, 11, and 12.

History tends to be more global in scope, and talks about the World, and Canada's place in it. My experience with US history courses (limited to what I've been told by US friends) seem more inward-oriented, and focus on the US, and its role and contributions to the World.

Calculus was offered as a pre-university Match course; students from Commerce, Education, Agriculture, and Arts were required to take a science elective in 1st year University. For many, they took Calculus and Statistics; doing it in high school first gave them an advantage when they got to University. Me, I took Astronomy as my elective, thinking it would be cool. Ended up being a hardcore math and physics course.

Canada has scored higher in international rankings than the US in terms of education. However, I think this is less a factor that Canadians are smarter. As discussed in other Canada threads, the poor in Canada are not as poor as those in the US, and have access to the same quality of education as those in the suburbs. Fair or not, American averages are pulled down by inner-city schools that are dealing with issues much larger than just educating children.

Are Canadians "smarter"? That's a loaded question, and one that can't be answered properly.

Are Canadians "better educated"? That's a much better question, and hinges on your definition of "better".

For middle class students, I'd say, no, they are educated equally well.

For upper-class and private school students, I'd say no, as there is a more free-market approach towards education in the US vs. Canada.

For working-class students, and those living in environments that have safety and social challenges? Yes, they are better educated in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada