U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:36 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,994,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMcTavish View Post
Are Canadians "better educated"? That's a much better question, and hinges on your definition of "better".

For middle class students, I'd say, no, they are educated equally well.

For upper-class and private school students, I'd say no, as there is a more free-market approach towards education in the US vs. Canada.

For working-class students, and those living in environments that have safety and social challenges? Yes, they are better educated in Canada.
Actually, Canada is the most-educated country in the world.

World’s Most Educated Country?
Topping the charts is Canada — the only nation in the world where more than half its residents can proudly hang college degrees up on their walls. In 2010, 51% of the population had completed a tertiary education, which takes into account both undergraduate and graduate degrees. Canada commanded the top spot in the last study in 2000, but even still has shown serious improvement. A decade ago, only 40% of the nation’s population had a college degree.

And the World’s Most Educated Country Is… | TIME.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 09:39 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,769,514 times
Over the last ten years all of my interaction on the web has been with Americans....as a Canadian I can say one thing...Americans are for the most part bright and astute people...They might have a lousy governmental system but they are far from inferior to Canadians ....as for our educational system...we also are capable of turning out low quality graduates....it depends on social class...If your kids go to good schools they will be smart...be it American or Canadian.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:04 AM

10,586 posts, read 10,769,514 times
Language has been toyed with and revised so rapidly that most do not know the meaning or the origin of words. A while back I was helping my younger brother with a prolonged litigation that ended up eventually in the Supreme Court...We used an old disbarred lawyer who was cheap to do the proper filings. The creative writing was up to me. I loved words and had some very old dictionaries at hand and studied the exact meaning of words and their origins...It seems that even lawyers had forgotten the true and accurate meanings.

To make a long story short...we did not win the case but I did manage to bleed the defendants dry when it came to their legal costs...I would receive boxes of documents every week - expensive beautifully bound responses. I would go through thousands of pages and look for the "holes" - the misuse of language...I would search out the weak spots and mistakes...then like a fiend I would concentrate on the errors or the intentional deceptions especially the manipulation of chronology. Lawyers are a clever bunch...much like wizards casting spells.

I had them running in circles after a while...Judges would attempt to gag me at the defendant's request...They even went so far as attempting to fine me for practicing law without a licence. It got to the point where one judge totally lost it and entered into an uncontrollable rage.

Words are powerful....I was simplistic and had one rule- Never tell a lie....the more I stuck to the truth the more they resorted to lying...They dug their own hole and slowly buried themselves...BUT lawyers will collude when desperate.. In the end my brothers original lawyer hid a document and then gave it to the other side at the last moment...We got stabbed in the back....but it was a great adventure...It went on for five years....I would never bother with such a draining task ever again.

If you understand language and use it with precise accuracy it is like a sharp sword...I was surprised that a grade ten drop out such as myself could cause these characters such grief....all it took was ethics - words and never backing down...

\
Also I used one simple old Christian concept...Truth...and the motto..."Those who try to save their lives will lose them...and those that are willing to lose their lives - will find life and life more abundantly" - to para phrase...You had to be willing to lose everything in order not to be intimidated...We bluffed them- because they were not prepared to lose anything...as I mentioned we did not win due to a clever technical point...and a shifty refusal on their part to fully disclose....BUT---- it cost them a few hundred thousand dollars to maintain their defense...it cost my brother a few bottles of whiskey and a few packs of smokes...that was our advantage....I would compose one letter and force them to respond...their response cost thousands - mine in turn 20 dollars...I worked cheap...

You may wonder what motivated me to dedicate so much time to this litigation? It was family pride...revenge and old fashioned sport...

Old 09-25-2013, 01:16 AM

111 posts, read 135,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post

World’s Most Educated Country?
Topping the charts is Canada — the only nation in the world where more than half its residents can proudly hang college degrees up on their walls. In 2010, 51% of the population had completed a tertiary education, which takes into account both undergraduate and graduate degrees. Canada commanded the top spot in the last study in 2000, but even still has shown serious improvement. A decade ago, only 40% of the nation’s population had a college degree.

And the World’s Most Educated Country Is… | TIME.com
This is somewhat deceptive. The 51% figure includes 2 year degrees. The percentage of Americans with Bachelor (4 year degree) or higher is 30%, but only 20.9% in Canada.

Data:
US: Educational attainment in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Canada: Canada at a Glance 2012 - Education

Old 09-25-2013, 01:49 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,751,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
We used an old disbarred lawyer who was cheap to do the proper filings.
I must ask: did this disbarred lawyer argue on your behalf before the Supreme Court? Or did you act for yourself?

Quote:
The creative writing was up to me. I loved words and had some very old dictionaries at hand and studied the exact meaning of words and their origins...It seems that even lawyers had forgotten the true and accurate meanings.
I have filed factums in appellate courts before; I can assure you that I know the exact meanings of words and their origins.

Unfortunately, many self-represented litigants think that words have meaning at the appellate level. That is untrue; words have meanings at the trial level. At the appellate level, the law has a meaning, nothing else.

Quote:
To make a long story short...we did not win the case but I did manage to bleed the defendants dry when it came to their legal costs...I would receive boxes of documents every week - expensive beautifully bound responses. I would go through thousands of pages and look for the "holes" - the misuse of language...I would search out the weak spots and mistakes...then like a fiend I would concentrate on the errors or the intentional deceptions especially the manipulation of chronology. Lawyers are a clever bunch...much like wizards casting spells.
In other words, you do not understand the meaning of "discovery," and the "examination for discovery." Nor, I suspect, do you understand the "pre-trial conference."

Quote:
...They even went so far as attempting to fine me for practicing law without a licence.
Why am I not surprised? Tell me, were you the litigant? If so, you have every right to represent yourself in a court of law. But if you weren't, then you have no standing before the court. If you are not a lawyer licensed by the provincial Law Society, you cannot represent anybody.

Quote:
...BUT lawyers will collude when desperate....
BS. Cite, please. Cite a case where this occurred.

Quote:
If you understand language and use it with precise accuracy it is like a sharp sword...I was surprised that a grade ten drop out such as myself could cause these characters such grief....all it took was ethics - words and never backing down...
I'm a lawyer. I use words like a sharp sword. I am not caused grief by pro se litigants. I don't back down, unless my client wishes me to. You won't cause me any grief.

Quote:
I worked cheap...
I work even cheaper. I work for the working man and woman. I do more pro bono work, and Legal Aid work than you can imagine. I write off more hours than you would ever contemplate. You had to work two hours overtime in a week? Waah! I work twenty hours overtime on a matter in a week, don't bill the client, and I'm the bad guy?

Seriously, give your head a shake. Lawyers like me are out there, you may have to work a little to find them.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:00 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,704,474 times
Quote:
You know i'm just curious about education time in the two countries. Here in the US where I live I noticed that the kids in high school and middle school got out about 2:15 to 2:30pm. Is that how Canada does it? I'm just wondering if school hrs per day is a variable in that best educated stat.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:03 AM

111 posts, read 135,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know i'm just curious about education time in the two countries. Here in the US where I live I noticed that the kids in high school and middle school got out about 2:15 to 2:30pm. Is that how Canada does it? I'm just wondering if school hrs per day is a variable in that best educated stat.
School hours are pretty much the same in both countries. According to a 1991 figure, the hours of instruction per year is actually higher in the U.S.: EDUCATION INDICATORS: An International Perspective / Indicator 24

Nonetheless, this is not a variable in the "best educated" stat. The only thing they consider is the percentage of adult Canadians (51%) with a college/university degree. Apparently, this is the highest in the world. But, as I mentioned in a previous post, this figure is deceiving. A much higher percentage of Americans hold Bachelor degrees (30%) vs Canadians (20%). This means that most Canadians with post-secondary education hold only 2-year or technical degrees.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:32 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,704,474 times
Thanks for that.
And

Quote:
his means that most Canadians with post-secondary education hold only 2-year or technical degrees.
hmmm..does that perhaps indicate that they are more sensitive to their financial situations if they leave just after 2 years?
Or could it be that there incentives employment -wise perhaps to leave after 2 years?

Old 09-25-2013, 09:53 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,933,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
hmmm..does that perhaps indicate that they are more sensitive to their financial situations if they leave just after 2 years?
Or could it be that there incentives employment -wise perhaps to leave after 2 years?
I have no link at the moment (but I know for a fact that they exist), but I believe the main reason is that the demand for positions consistent with a 2-year degree (technical programs etc.) is relatively greater in Canada's economy compared to the US. It's not about "leaving after 2 years" -- that 2-year program gives you a good job, you're not "dropping out" to take a job. In the US, those 2-year programs may lead to more precarious jobs on average (not all sectors of course).

Last edited by barneyg; 09-25-2013 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: precision

Old 09-28-2013, 01:19 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,094,812 times
Well based on iq Americans are smarter but aren't as educated as Canadians.
Countries with the Highest / Lowest Average IQ | Statistic Brain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada