U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 11:25 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,934,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
What a ridiculous title, the study in question didn't even try to gauge the average human, it merely listed the OECD countries, which contrary to the New York Times view, does not even begin to encompass most humans.
Please don't mix the Post and the Times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 08:08 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,095,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Please just tell us if you're threatening him. For good measure, tell us what you'd do to him if you had the chance.
If I did why would it matter? You seem very immature for your age you don't understand simple conduct, for instance this no I was not threatening him and if I was you can never prove it, its just like your a little kid who wants to tattletale on another kid and is trying to get him to admit to him being mean to another kid.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:51 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
If I did why would it matter? You seem very immature for your age you don't understand simple conduct, for instance this no I was not threatening him and if I was you can never prove it, its just like your a little kid who wants to tattletale on another kid and is trying to get him to admit to him being mean to another kid.
No, that's not why I was hoping you would admit that you were threatening him. And it's rich for you, my young friend, to accuse me of being immature for my age. Now I've heard it all.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:07 PM

16 posts, read 24,007 times
[quote=Jews for Jesus;31306836]Why would anybody want to learn Greek (a relatively minor language) spoken by less than 15 million people worldwide in only 2 countries? Latin is a dead language anyway.

Just because you study these two languages and take calculus doesn't make you smarter[/QUOTE

No it doesn't make you smarter, just more knowledgeable, I have heard it said that the more you know about different things, the 'smarter' people think you are ... I am a huge fan of self education thanks to Readers Digest Gives me enough information on a topic to let me decide if I wish to delve deeper into that subject.

However....

Many of our English words are derived from Greek translations from Aramaic and the old Jewish languages...

'Jesus' for example is a Greek translation from the original ,Yeshua a Hebrew name.

If you go through your dictionary you would be surprised at how many words come from those 'ancient dead languages'

Like the mythical Phoenix ... something first must die in order to be reborn anew... in this case,
anew is the Engilsh language and yes, many others too !

But never forget that English is a mis-mash of all the languages that went before, even the language of the man called Jesus (Aramaic) is pretty well lost and gone forever

BTW many of the words in Aramaic did not translate well into other languages and the true meanings got lost in translation, same for Latin and ancient Greek ...

someday English will be but a memory too .. (I have seen some of those texts people are writing
and It might not be too far off!!!

Old 10-21-2013, 11:29 AM

24 posts, read 33,451 times
America is a nation of over 300 million. It would be unfair and inaccurate to paint every last one of us with the same brush stroke.

Undoubtedly there exists a strain of apathetic ignorance in this nation brought upon by the pop culture and the mass media that a very large portion of the population suffers from.

Basically there are a lot of ignorant, selfish, thoughtless, lazy, narcissisitc, materialistic, people in this country that are ruining life for a lot of decent people here.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:53 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,490,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
But never forget that English is a mis-mash of all the languages that went before, even the language of the man called Jesus (Aramaic) is pretty well lost and gone forever

BTW many of the words in Aramaic did not translate well into other languages and the true meanings got lost in translation, same for Latin and ancient Greek ...
I think it may interest you to know that Aramaic is not as lost and gone as you may think! Eastern Christianity was spread by Aramaic and Aramaic is the liturgical language of Eastern Christianity, just as Latin is for Catholics. It's ancient Syriac Aramaic, which isn't the exact dialect Jesus spoke, but it's very close to it. The Assyrians also speak the modern Aramaic language as their native tongue. The Eastern bible is still written in Aramaic.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:46 PM

16 posts, read 24,007 times
thank you Bimbam for your corrections, I was really speaking in a broad sense, but I am glad to have this information,

I have learned something today, Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada