U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 03:34 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,492,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Thank you for informing me. The reason why its called African not black in America because many people believe calling someone black is racist, which I have to agree with.
But African Canadian would be very confusing, what would we call the large group of Canadians of African extraction and culture? Three broad groups of Canadians with different cultures, histories, and origins are united by only two things, looking similar and being Canadians, so it makes sense to refer to the way they look. Otherwise, Africans Canadians, Carribean Canadians (most of whom are black), and the scions of the African American culture that arose on this continent haven't much in common and shouldn't be conflated with each other as if the only thing that defines them is their looks. It's right to refer to race, because that's what people are talking about. Anyhow, a little besides the point but not all Africans look like people we'd call Black, the North African coast has lots of people most would just call Arab or Berber, and there are also long standing White, Indian, and Asian communities that I think I might be okay with calling African at this point because most consider themselves such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 03:39 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,161,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
But African Canadian would be very confusing, what would we call the large group of Canadians of African extraction and culture? Three broad groups of Canadians with different cultures, histories, and origins are united by only two things, looking similar and being Canadians, so it makes sense to refer to the way they look. Otherwise, Africans Canadians, Carribean Canadians (most of whom are black), and the scions of the African American culture that arose on this continent haven't much in common and shouldn't be conflated with each other as if the only thing that defines them is their looks. It's right to refer to race, because that's what people are talking about, and not all Africans look like people we'd call Black, there are lots of Arabs, Berbers, and also White colonists like Afrikaaners.

Canadians.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:46 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,492,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Canadians.
Of course, but if for some reason you wanted to talk specifically about people with that cultural heritage, as in the sentence "as the number of African Canadians has grown in Vancouver, so have the number of restaurants offering a taste of Africa, from Nyala offering Ethiopian cuisine at an affordable price, to the sumptuous Swahili cuisine offered at upscale Simba's".

Personally I don't see how Black is racist, it refers to race but doesn't seem to pass a value judgement anymore than White does. It just describes a set. African American just seems like a legacy of an era when there was a very small African diaspora in America and people needed a new term because the people from the local Black culture had been made to feel so worthless that any existing term for them felt like a slur, and they needed a name that was free of that baggage. The only problem is, it kind of robs the actual Africans of the natural name that would be applied to them by convention. So it's fine that African Americans are called African Americans, but if the convention is to use African Canadian for Canadians with roots or origins in Africa, and Black Canadian for the racial notion as a whole I don't see that that really needs correcting.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 09-07-2013 at 03:55 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 03:55 PM

564 posts, read 878,264 times
My wife is Black and prefers that term. She thinks "African Canadian" doesn't apply to her as she was born in Canada to Canadian parents. Maybe first or second generation immigrants like to distinguish themselves somehow but I think once you have citizenship you are simply "Canadian". You can elaborate by stating an ethnic extraction, but why bother?

After all, when you go back far enough, we are ALL descended from Africans.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:56 PM

^^ I was just bein' an ass, BIMBAM. I knew what you were saying. lol

Old 09-07-2013, 04:19 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,173,008 times
Why do we have this discussion over and over on CD?

Black people in American are "Americans." Black people in Canada are "Canadians." Just like white people in those countries. This is not an issue.

However, white people are quick to let you know about their heritage, saying they are Italian, German, Scottish, Dutch, or whatever. I think most black people would be happy to mention their country of origin, if they knew it. I'm sure they would be happy to say "I'm Senegalese," but most don't know their exact country, hence the African American term.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-07-2013, 05:16 PM

489 posts, read 1,051,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

Black people in American are "Americans." Black people in Canada are "Canadians." Just like white people in those countries. This is not an issue.

However, white people are quick to let you know about their heritage, saying they are Italian, German, Scottish, Dutch, or whatever. I think most black people would be happy to mention their country of origin, if they knew it. I'm sure they would be happy to say "I'm Senegalese," but most don't know their exact country, hence the African American term.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:

+1 JP

Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,033,226 times
Quote:
However, white people are quick to let you know about their heritage, saying they are Italian, German, Scottish, Dutch, or whatever.
This is far more common in the United States, and it's ridiculous. I love it when some idiot starts droning on about how they're "half Italian and half German" or whatever. Unless your parents came from those places, then guess what? You're an American. End of story. You're not from any of those places and they don't really describe your heritage. Your heritage is American (and not Native American before someone tries to trot out that old red herring to discredit my position). You're born and raised in America, to American parents. This hyphenated American business is ridiculous.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:53 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,173,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
This is far more common in the United States, and it's ridiculous. I love it when some idiot starts droning on about how they're "half Italian and half German" or whatever. Unless your parents came from those places, then guess what? You're an American. End of story. You're not from any of those places and they don't really describe your heritage. Your heritage is American (and not Native American before someone tries to trot out that old red herring to discredit my position). You're born and raised in America, to American parents. This hyphenated American business is ridiculous.
Your rant above is fine, but then direct it at the non-immigrant white people who open Italian restaurants and pizza joints because they're "Italian," or the white people who flock to Notre Dame University because they're "Irish." Or all of the white people who save their money to take the trip of a lifetime back to "the Old Country."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or