Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 01:45 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Your rant above is fine, but then direct it at the non-immigrant white people who open Italian restaurants and pizza joints because they're "Italian," or the white people who flock to Notre Dame University because they're "Irish." Or all of the white people who save their money to take the trip of a lifetime back to "the Old Country."
I don't care if they're white, black, green, purple or blue, this hyphenation nonsense is divisive and unnecessary. If you want to have a united country and to be a united people, then don't pretend that you're hyphenated anything unless you qualify for citizenship of that other country or you emigrated from there. Have a local identity if you must, but for the love of Pete, don't pretend that you're from or try to identify with some place that is as foreign to you as the Moon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 09:02 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,098,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Thank you for informing me. The reason why its called African not black in America because many people believe calling someone black is racist, which I have to agree with.
WHAT?!?!?! Most blacks I know hate being called AA; it's insulting, as if they're not as "American" as whites. Do you refer to white people as European American, or do you call them white? If you call them white, why isn't that "racist"? Plus, there are a ton of white Africans, so using the term AA can be factually incorrect; look at Charlize Theron; born and raised in African, now and American immigrant, isn't she African American? Political Correctness is rotting the minds of our future generations. Black is beautiful!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
But African Canadian would be very confusing, what would we call the large group of Canadians of African extraction and culture? Three broad groups of Canadians with different cultures, histories, and origins are united by only two things, looking similar and being Canadians, so it makes sense to refer to the way they look. Otherwise, Africans Canadians, Carribean Canadians (most of whom are black), and the scions of the African American culture that arose on this continent haven't much in common and shouldn't be conflated with each other as if the only thing that defines them is their looks. It's right to refer to race, because that's what people are talking about. Anyhow, a little besides the point but not all Africans look like people we'd call Black, the North African coast has lots of people most would just call Arab or Berber, and there are also long standing White, Indian, and Asian communities that I think I might be okay with calling African at this point because most consider themselves such.
Yeah, I don't see blacks in Canada having anything resembling a unified identity based on race alone. As has been said people tend to identify with the country of origin more than anything.

There may be some commonalities and affinities that make people from say St. Lucia and Barbados hang out together more in Toronto, or from Senegal, Burkina Faso and Mali in Montreal, but as far as an over-arching black identity that brings together a Rwandan from Kigali and a black Brazilian from Salvador, no this does not exist.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
WHAT?!?!?! Most blacks I know hate being called AA; it's insulting, as if they're not as "American" as whites. Do you refer to white people as European American, or do you call them white? If you call them white, why isn't that "racist"? Plus, there are a ton of white Africans, so using the term AA can be factually incorrect; look at Charlize Theron; born and raised in African, now and American immigrant, isn't she African American? Political Correctness is rotting the minds of our future generations. Black is beautiful!
Shoot I just call people by their names who cares about race?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada