U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 PM
 
34,435 posts, read 41,537,489 times
Reputation: 29898

Advertisements

What data source are you using to come up with that description of Canada?

 
Old 09-10-2013, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,701 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Reputation: 7314
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Here's what I want to know. In Canadian socialism, in which there are (presumably) no private enterprises and all means of production are owned by the state, which authors get the most emphasis in your political indoctrination in school? Marx would be a natural. Engels? Lenin? Heck, Shulamith Firestone? I never see any Lenin statues in BC, but I assume that's because they get covered up so that they don't scare off the combustible US tourist dollars.

Also, I'm mystified by an aspect of your history. You managed to get through the dictatorship of the proletariat without me noticing. Were you just doing it in an unassuming, non-demonstrative way? If so, how did you get the Francophones on board? Or was it in fact their idea to begin with? Is that what is meant by la Révolution tranquille, and we just weren't paying attention? I need to get out more.
Chuckle, chuckle.
 
Old 09-10-2013, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Aloverton
6,564 posts, read 12,320,380 times
Reputation: 10018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What data source are you using to come up with that description of Canada?
Stuff people said on the Internet, of course. Are you implying that it's not reliable?
 
Old 09-10-2013, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Vernon, British Columbia
3,020 posts, read 2,700,875 times
Reputation: 2137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I started a thread several months ago about Lexus RX350 being built in Cambridge, Ont. yet they cost so much more money in Canada than in the States, that thousands of Southern Ontarians cross the border to buy them in Buffalo and Detroit. This is so stupid and short sighted, as that is hundreds of thousands of dollars of lost revenue, all because of high taxes that go to Big Government. I watch shows on HGTV and little dumpy homes all over Ontario built in the 80's are $500k or more, where in almost all of the USA, they would be $300k MAX. Why do Canadians embrace a Huge Government Industrial Complex? Is it because, it's all they know?
Taxes are the same between the two countries. What is different, however, is the price land.
 
Old 08-10-2014, 01:45 PM
 
5,657 posts, read 5,630,957 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Taxes are the same between the two countries. What is different, however, is the price land.
I don't understand your post, sorry. Would you mind clarifying it? Thanks
 
Old 08-10-2014, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Vernon, British Columbia
3,020 posts, read 2,700,875 times
Reputation: 2137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I don't understand your post, sorry. Would you mind clarifying it? Thanks
Higher home prices in Canada have nothing to do with taxes. For most of history housing prices were higher in the USA, but over the past couple of decades the reverse has been true, though it wasn't until the 2008 crash that the difference was far apart. The main reason house prices are so much higher in Canada is because the housing bubble hasn't popped yet. The high price of land greatly increases the cost of doing business in Canada.
 
Old 08-11-2014, 12:56 AM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 12,028,577 times
Reputation: 9717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I started a thread several months ago about Lexus RX350 being built in Cambridge, Ont. yet they cost so much more money in Canada than in the States, that thousands of Southern Ontarians cross the border to buy them in Buffalo and Detroit. This is so stupid and short sighted, as that is hundreds of thousands of dollars of lost revenue, all because of high taxes that go to Big Government. I watch shows on HGTV and little dumpy homes all over Ontario built in the 80's are $500k or more, where in almost all of the USA, they would be $300k MAX. Why do Canadians embrace a Huge Government Industrial Complex? Is it because, it's all they know?
A CBC Marketplace investigation reveals automakers are preventing Canadians from taking advantage of cheaper car prices south of the border.
Marketplace found price differences of thousands of dollars in the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) for the same model car on different sides of the border, but many U.S. dealers refuse to sell a new vehicle to Canadian customers.

Canadian car buyers blocked from cheaper U.S. prices - Business - CBC News
 
Old 08-11-2014, 01:21 AM
 
1,955 posts, read 1,949,724 times
Reputation: 1755
Europe is supposed to be much more expensive than the US too in everything just like Canada. Literally none of that was true when we moved to the US. It was actually the opposite. It was impossible to find a decent second hand car cheaper than US $15.000 at official dealers or places like Carmax. Over here you can buy a perfectly maintained used car for €5000. Groceries, rents, health care and education are much cheaper in Europe too. Even fuel is much cheaper here because of the crazy distances and urban sprawl in the US.

Don't believe the grass is greener in the US. Canada(like Europe) consistently gets ranked above the US in quality of life indices, which also include a factor economy(what do you earn, what can you afford, etc).
 
Old 08-11-2014, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,602 posts, read 11,096,185 times
Reputation: 10316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I apologize, but I don't understand your point. An RX 350 is made in Cambridge, Ontario, but it costs more for a Canadian to buy one in Canada than it would if a Canadian were to cross the border and buy one in Buffalo or the Detroit suburbs; even after taxes. That's hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars of lost revenue that could directly go into the Canadian economy, but, I don't think one poster has addressed this specific issue. instead calling me a "troll" appears to be the popular response.
There's a net zero loss in revenue as any taxes that were going to be charged on the vehicle are still charged when they cross the border.

Vehicles are prepared and optioned differently between Canada and the U.S. on a regular basis. So you may not be doing an apple to apples comparison between two vehicles.

And yes, Sophia has a troll for a Mommy.
 
Old 08-11-2014, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,602 posts, read 11,096,185 times
Reputation: 10316
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Here's what I want to know. In Canadian socialism, in which there are (presumably) no private enterprises and all means of production are owned by the state, which authors get the most emphasis in your political indoctrination in school? Marx would be a natural. Engels? Lenin? Heck, Shulamith Firestone? I never see any Lenin statues in BC, but I assume that's because they get covered up so that they don't scare off the combustible US tourist dollars.

Also, I'm mystified by an aspect of your history. You managed to get through the dictatorship of the proletariat without me noticing. Were you just doing it in an unassuming, non-demonstrative way? If so, how did you get the Francophones on board? Or was it in fact their idea to begin with? Is that what is meant by la Révolution tranquille, and we just weren't paying attention? I need to get out more.
We hide the Lenin busts in Tim Hortons. That's why there's so many. Roll up the Rim to win isn't actually a contest, it just has little quotes from "Das Kapital" under there.

I mean the Mounties serges are red for goodness sakes, how much more blatant do we have to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top