Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 01:19 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Link?
You need me to provide you with a link to the contents of the Charter of Quebec Values?,Its not hard to find..
Take your pick..
https://www.google.ca/#q=quebec+char...ls&safe=active
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 02:15 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
BTW I think Marois would look hotter with a burqa
You made my day, thank you.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Evidently, France has also recently passed a Secularism charter. Maybe Marois is ensuring a hostile environment to Muslims so they don't come flooding into Quebec, instead. I don't know, but it's a possibility, I suppose.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:10 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Self explanatory.

The elaboration you're looking for will come; but not from me.
It's self-explanatory that people who are immigrants to Quebec have been in the province longer than people who are descendants of the settlers of New France?

Old 09-14-2013, 09:11 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's self-explanatory that people who are immigrants to Quebec have been in the province longer than people who are descendants of the settlers of New France?
Oh for heaven's sake! You're going with everyone who behaves and claim to be pur-laine actually are descendants of those originals?

O.K.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:40 PM

328 posts, read 995,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
They have created a false crisis because they want francophones to feel like they're under attack by the rest of the country. Could work too.... most pretend they are defending religions/rites but in reality only want to crap on Qc ...which is the epitome of canadian patriotism
I suspect most people who oppose the Charter do so because the premise is downright repugnant. God forbid Jean-Paul's heart surgeon in Chibougamau wears a kippah or a turban eh? If the so-called "rest of Canada" is being "trolled" intro provoking a referendum and anger about opposition to this so-called "Charter" would prompt the majority of Quebecers to vote for separatism good riddance to them. Canada is still a federation of which Quebec is a part and all leaders have an obligation to protest this without worrying about whether or not it will "provoke" separatist sensibilities. It is in all likelihood nothing more than a calculated attempt to create a wedge issue between Quebec and the "rest of Canada", having said that can anyone imagine Kennedy standing down to George Wallace in order to avoid "provoking" certain Alabamans?

Last edited by gosling; 09-14-2013 at 09:52 PM..

Old 09-14-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh for heaven's sake! You're going with everyone who behaves and claim to be pur-laine actually are descendants of those originals?

O.K.
I never talked about pure laine people, did I? I actually hate the expression.

But with this clarification, I think I get your point. Sort of.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
I suspect most people who oppose the Charter do so because the premise is downright repugnant. God forbid Jean-Paul's heart surgeon in Chibougamau wears a kippah or a turban eh? If the so-called "rest of Canada" is being "trolled" intro provoking a referendum and anger about opposition to this so-called "Charter" would prompt the majority of Quebecers to vote for separatism good riddance to them.
Pauline (hearts) gosling.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:55 PM

328 posts, read 995,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Pauline (hearts) gosling.
So everything should be ignored because opposition will rile some separatists? Some southerners didn't want integrated schools, should that have been allowed to stand because some felt that it infringed on state rights and the natural order of things? People with backbone need to stand up and oppose certain things without worrying about the political repercussions.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:10 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,330 times
IMO there are many other more pressing subjects the government can channel its attention to other than meddling with what and how its citizens are dressed. However, having said that I’d like to ask few innocent questions strictly out of curiosity, no offence intended at all, so here they go;

Would it be a really terrible thing not dressing in one’s traditional clothes on daily basis, and instead dress like most everybody else living in the city, you know, in jeans and t-shirt, or some modern trendy contemporary clothing in general? After all, we’re living in a very modern North American country. I fully understand the need to perverse and express one’s cultural needs and identity. Is there any other way to achieve that? Is it really considered degrading for some to dress modern? What is the harm in blending in with the majority of the society? Why choose to standout so much and so differently in appearance?

For many other ethnic groups living in the country, traditional clothes are reserved for special event such as a parade in which their heritage take the center stage and those traditional costumes are meant to be show pieces. However, outside the event people from those ethnic groups tend to return to their normal clothes. It doesn’t seem to take anything away from their culture and cultural identity. Is it not the case?

Again, the questions above are strictly out of curiosity and for discussion purpose only, no offence is intended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada