U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 01:33 AM

34,384 posts, read 41,480,724 times

Advertisements

No, i'd either move elsewhere in Canada or move back to the USA or the UK, Quebec is no longer worth the effort or the stress to many of putting up with all its constant asinine bs, Quebec's separatist government and its supporters may not realize it but in this day and age Quebec and its silly laws are being left behind as the mobility of global infrastructure is motivating people to move elsewhere or not come here in the first place ultimately relegating Quebec to a cultural backwater status here in North America..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 08:30 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
[quote=jambo101;31481474]No, i'd either move elsewhere in Canada or move back to the USA or the UK, Quebec is no longer worth the effort or the stress to many of putting up with all its constant asinine bs, Quebec's separatist government and its supporters may not realize it but in this day and age Quebec and its silly laws are being left behind as the mobility of global infrastructure is motivating people to move elsewhere or not come here in the first place ultimately relegating Quebec to a cultural backwater status here in North America..[/quote]

We got the memo already - we have to do exactly as you say and think, and ultimately be like you, or else we get left behind.

All of this is really classic Anglo-Quebecer/Anglo-Montrealer navel-gazing and "woe-is-me" bellyaching more than anything else.

I am sure people are realllllllly scared of Quebec, when you have muslim face coverings banned on the streets in France, Belgium and the Netherlands, a soldier getting his head chopped off on a street by extremists in London, harsh anti-immigrant right-wingers getting elected all over hitherto "moderate" Europe, Angela Merkel saying multiculturalism is a failure, Russia cracking down on dissidents and gays, mass shootings of innoncent people every couple of months in the US with no serious political intent to address the problem, and the state of Iowa allowing blind people to have permits to carry guns!

Wow, Quebec really stands out as a bad place, doesn't it? I am sure no one will want to come here any more!

Or perhaps it's just that Quebec is simply the proverbial pebble in the shoe that is annoying you and others as you march down the path to continental lebensraum?

Old 09-20-2013, 08:42 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,995,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Lots of places ban lots of stuff, usually its for a valid reason, i've yet to hear a valid reason for the Quebec separatist government 's need to ban Hilabs, turbans and kippas.
I've given you a 100 - obviously you were not paying attention. Here is another one:

REASON 1-XY: When I have kids, I do not want them to go to a classroom where Sikh kids can carry knives in the name of religious freedom. I want my kids to be SAFE.

NB: I find many things wrong with the charter as it stands today. I am simply echoing some its ideas that I find appealing.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:49 AM

18,273 posts, read 10,377,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful Forever View Post
You are false Christian who accept Christian persecution by tolerating the intolerant. You need to start defending your faith!
Jews have killed your Christ, and Muslims kill Christians in the Middle East and destroy churches, yet you want them to live like kings in Canada.

I'm an atheist so all of your religious crap is wasted on me.

Were you and other sky demon zealots simply able to live your life according to the most basic human respect tenet of "behaving towards others as you would have them behave towards you" we'd all be getting along much better.

You have brought with you to Canada the most repugnant form of religiousity; that which suggests ANY faith needs defending from a perceived enemy.

Starting off your nonsense with a supposed claim that any group of people as a whole should be villified for a crime or crimes committed centuries earlier, while also claiming to be a believer of any religion or belief founded on worthy principles, is flying in the face of logic.

Why is it necessary for such as you to point your finger at ANY other person when you yourself are a bigoted ****** as demonstrated by your many posts all striving to stir up the filth on the bottom of the stagnant pond?

You are nothing more than a strident agitator to be ignored along with all the other insane zealots.

Peaceful Forever? Haar; the use of that moniker is a complete contamination of the word Peace!

Old 09-20-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
I've given you a 100 - obviously you were not paying attention. Here is another one:

REASON 1-XY: When I have kids, I do not want them to go to a classroom where Sikh kids can carry knives in the name of religious freedom. I want my kids to be SAFE.

NB: I find many things wrong with the charter as it stands today. I am simply echoing some its ideas that I find appealing.
Sandman249; Perhaps you should deal with the word safe and it's connotations as regards what constitutes safety today versus yesterday.

If that Sikh kid is brought up with the proper degree of parental guidance and religious beliefs extending to the wearing of the Kirpans:

Understanding the Kirpan | World Sikh Organization of Canada

During my early years a pocket jack-knife with a three inch blade was a common xmas gift from parents to their progeny and those were ALWAYS in our pockets.

Now I fully understand where you are coming from but you must also consider the nature of safety is a very flexible thing and always coming back to anger of one person towards another.

Gonna outlaw baseball bats at recess? A common bic ball point pen is a longer stabbing item than those Kirpans. Every classroom I've ever been in could arguably harbour any number of potential weapons.

Using your lace up safety boots with a four inch upper and steel toe you've worn to school so you could go immediately to your part time job at some loading dock after school and kicking someone senseless is not outside the realm of anger towards another human being the thing to address rather than the means used to express that anger.

By all means various government entities should pro-actively engage these religious organizations to acquire compromise from them regarding OUR cultural background versus wherever theirs was formed but approaching that issue through this kind of law or legislated "bully" tactic will only force confrontation and end badly.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:23 AM

564 posts, read 878,264 times
Quote:
I'm no friend of religious superstition, but how many students have been harmed by kirpans in schools? I was able to find reference to one case in Montreal where a Sikh student dropped his kirpan (which had been tucked away), spooked some students (i.e. parents), and the Supreme Court of Canada upheld his right to carry it.

While safety is an obvious issue, and I understand the argument, I don't think this is a primary safety concern. More kids get injured or killed simply walking to school (or being exposed to allergens) than have ever been harmed by a kirpan.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:33 AM

307 posts, read 185,861 times
BruSan, I see your points but, historically what are baseball bats, ball point pens and steel tip boots representative of to the majority? As I understand it, a Kirpan is worn as a symbolic keepsake which was in the past, used exclusively to perpetrate violence in self defense, or in the defense of others.

When you think of a pen, do you immediately associate it with gouging someones eyes out? What about you you see a sharpened dagger, do you immediately associate it with opening envelopes?

Old 09-20-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
BruSan, I see your points but, historically what are baseball bats, ball point pens and steel tip boots representative of to the majority? As I understand it, a Kirpan is worn as a symbolic keepsake which was in the past, used exclusively to perpetrate violence in self defense, or in the defense of others.

When you think of a pen, do you immediately associate it with gouging someones eyes out? What about you you see a sharpened dagger, do you immediately associate it with opening envelopes?
Understood and a good point but those other things are also only associated with their common everyday usage. Those Kirpans only represent a threat item to the REST of us, not to Sikhs. Of special note within that link I posted you will note the Turban is not even mentioned as a religious icon when we have been led to believe it wss just that, rather then simply a traditional headcovering.

Your point is one I would have expected elected MP's acting on behalf of concerned citizens to have raised with a committe formed by Sikh leaders and clerics in a pro-active effort to address public concerns.

This legislation is being proposed in a reactionary attempt to curry votes and further stimulate separation of segmants of society

Old 09-20-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

We got the memo already - we have to do exactly as you say and think, and ultimately be like you, or else we get left behind.
Seems to me its the Quebec separatist government who is the main purveyor of laws dictating who is supposed to be like who,the never ending classic Quebecoise victim attitude the "woe-is-me" bellyaching that some how we Quebeckers arent getting what we want just enhances the need for bills 101 and language/religious charters to artificially prop up an ever feeble culture that cant survive on its own merits..I'm not saying any Quebec entity has to be like me,by all means speak French,enhance your culture,tell the world how great Quebec is but just dont do it by marginalizing my Anglo culture or telling us what clothing we may or may not wear..an update on the memo; you are being left behind as companies and people look elsewhere to their futures.

Last edited by jambo101; 09-20-2013 at 01:24 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:

The proposed charter refers to overt religious symbols, 99% of Muslims wear clothing that covers the kurpin, while the Kurpin is shaped like a knife it is in fact a religious symbol on par with a Christian cross, something i see many more of around town than kurpins, did you ever think many crosses could make for a very dangerous weapon.

Last edited by jambo101; 09-20-2013 at 12:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or