U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 01:04 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,964,098 times

Advertisements

AJ, your islamophobia is showing. Blaming terrorist acts on an article of clothing is about as rational as me blaming Charlie Chaplin for World War II.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 01:15 PM

21,946 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
AJ, your islamophobia is showing. Blaming terrorist acts on an article of clothing is about as rational as me blaming Charlie Chaplin for World War II.
Where did I blame muslims or talk about clothing? I was just giving of examples of places where unpleasant things can happen... Do you think I am equating the shootings in the US with Islam as well?

Get real! Please! Ça presse!

Old 09-20-2013, 01:33 PM
pdw

Well it's clear how you feel now since you've clarified, but reading your earlier posts in this thread, others would get the same impression that I did.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Well it's clear how you feel now since you've clarified, but reading your earlier posts in this thread, others would get the same impression that I did.
I am not sure where you would get that.

It is true that I don't pooh-pooh stuff that very clearly is meant to reduce women to non-person status and marginalize them.

I don't really care which religion does it BTW, I will criticize it anyway, and you should have heard me a few years ago when the Catholic church excommunicated a 9-year-old girl for getting an abortion after being raped.

You haven't seen anything on here.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:39 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,995,127 times
Brusan, perhaps you should not decide what is or is not safe for me.

Frankly speaking, this line of argument is rather boring and has been done to death during the ongoing Gun debate in the US - cars kill more people than guns, so should we ban cars!

At the end of the day, it is all about acceptable risk. We as a society have deemed deaths in a car, plane, swimming pool, while tripping over laces, while playing baseball as acceptable risks. Having a knife in a classroom with kids is not an acceptable risk. Isn't that simple?

Going from bic-ball point pen to baseball-bat to steel toe boots is nothing but a technique to avoid the main issue.

When I climb a mountain, I am well aware that I am taking a risk and I might die. When I smoke a cigar, I know that it might cause cancer and kill me. When I am driving down an ice/snow covered highway I know that I might slip and crash the car. I am not ignoring anything ....
I am simply choosing NOT to accept the risk associated with a KNIFE in my kid's classroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Sandman249; Perhaps you should deal with the word safe and it's connotations as regards what constitutes safety today versus yesterday.

If that Sikh kid is brought up with the proper degree of parental guidance and religious beliefs extending to the wearing of the Kirpans:
And what if the Sikh kid has horrible parents? A father that drinks too much and a mother that is too busy with her FT job?

Quote:
Understanding the Kirpan | World Sikh Organization of Canada

During my early years a pocket jack-knife with a three inch blade was a common xmas gift from parents to their progeny and those were ALWAYS in our pockets.

Now I fully understand where you are coming from but you must also consider the nature of safety is a very flexible thing and always coming back to anger of one person towards another.

Gonna outlaw baseball bats at recess? A common bic ball point pen is a longer stabbing item than those Kirpans. Every classroom I've ever been in could arguably harbour any number of potential weapons.

Using your lace up safety boots with a four inch upper and steel toe you've worn to school so you could go immediately to your part time job at some loading dock after school and kicking someone senseless is not outside the realm of anger towards another human being the thing to address rather than the means used to express that anger.

By all means various government entities should pro-actively engage these religious organizations to acquire compromise from them regarding OUR cultural background versus wherever theirs was formed but approaching that issue through this kind of law or legislated "bully" tactic will only force confrontation and end badly.

Last edited by sandman249; 09-20-2013 at 02:51 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
I'm no friend of religious superstition, but how many students have been harmed by kirpans in schools? I was able to find reference to one case in Montreal where a Sikh student dropped his kirpan (which had been tucked away), spooked some students (i.e. parents), and the Supreme Court of Canada upheld his right to carry it.

While safety is an obvious issue, and I understand the argument, I don't think this is a primary safety concern. More kids get injured or killed simply walking to school (or being exposed to allergens) than have ever been harmed by a kirpan.
According to you - HOW MANY KIDS NEED TO BE STABBED OR CUT by a kirpan/ dagger/ knife before you decide to put a stop to KIDS bringing kirpan/ dagger/ knife(s) to the school/ classroom?

Last edited by sandman249; 09-20-2013 at 02:53 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
By that same logic, have you made it clear that you are pro-child-murder since you are not opposed to banning knives in school?

Old 09-20-2013, 02:53 PM

Not sure if anyone has this here but it is often stated that violent uses of the kirpan in school or elsewhere are virtually unheard of. Doing a quick Google search clearly demonstrates that this is false.

Sikhs are human too - some of them can get violent.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:20 PM
pdw

Why are we discussing the kirpan, anyways? This is about public service workers and their clothing, not students. This law is totally racist and I'm sorry but I would guess that anyone who would support it is racist as well.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:03 AM

34,377 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Wow, Quebec really stands out as a bad place, doesn't it? I am sure no one will want to come here any more!

Or perhaps it's just that Quebec is simply the proverbial pebble in the shoe that is annoying you and others as you march down the path to continental lebensraum?
Think what you may but the 20 or so Anglo friends i've talked to over the past week are all unanimous in their opinion that Quebec is no longer a place they want to reside in, they are basically tired of the Quebec governments constant linguistic and now religious bs.
If Madame Marois's objective in tabling this racist piece of legislation was to motivate minorities and Anglos to leave Quebec or not come here in the first place it appears she's a genius. Yes make all your minorities feel so unwelcome and marginalized by insane laws that they go elsewhere,and tell their friends and family thinking of moving here that Ontario might be a better option.
AJ you must feel so proud of her successful efforts in moving Quebec in a direction that brings Quebec closer to that pure Francophone dreamland devoid of any cultural diversity, a province populated solely by people just like.... you..

As for bringing up Lebensraum to IYO describe the ROC's attitude toward Quebec,? you gotta be kidding as it does nothing but expose the level of hate you have for Your country Canada and your fellow Canadians who happen to be Anglos and points out perfectly the attitude Anglos and other minorities are subjected to on a regular basis here in Quebec from a very large demographic of the francophone population.

Quote:
Lebensraum:
Meaning "living space," it was a basic principle of Nazi foreign policy. Hitler believed that eastern Europe had to be conquered to create a vast German empire for more physical space, a greater population, and new territory to supply food and raw materials.
/leybenzroum/
REALLY? the ROC are just like NAZI's? Dude get a grip ..

Last edited by jambo101; 09-21-2013 at 03:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or