U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 05:04 AM

21,949 posts, read 27,371,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Think what you may but the 20 or so Anglo friends i've talked to over the past week are all unanimous in their opinion that Quebec is no longer a place they want to reside in, they are basically tired of the Quebec governments constant linguistic and now religious bs.
If Madame Marois's objective in tabling this racist piece of legislation was to motivate minorities and Anglos to leave Quebec or not come here in the first place it appears she's a genius. Yes make all your minorities feel so unwelcome and marginalized by insane laws that they go elsewhere,and tell their friends and family thinking of moving here that Ontario might be a better option.
AJ you must feel so proud of her successful efforts in moving Quebec in a direction that brings Quebec closer to that pure Francophone dreamland devoid of any cultural diversity, a province populated solely by people just like.... you..

As for bringing up Lebensraum to IYO describe the ROC's attitude toward Quebec,? you gotta be kidding as it does nothing but expose the level of hate you have for Your country Canada and your fellow Canadians who happen to be Anglos and points out perfectly the attitude Anglos and other minorities are subjected to on a regular basis here in Quebec from a very large demographic of the francophone population.

REALLY? the ROC are just like NAZI's? Dude get a grip ..
The term was invented and in use long before the Nazis came along, and that was not what I meant by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 05:11 AM

34,399 posts, read 41,509,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The term was invented and in use long before the Nazis came along, and that was not what I meant by it.
OK sorry for missing your intended implication,

Hard to find a definition of the term Lebensraum with out the German Nazi connection.. lets try this one instead.
Quote:
Lebensraum

Pronunciation: /ˈleɪb(ə)nzˌraʊm, ˈleːbnsˌraʊm/
noun

[mass noun] the territory which a state or nation believes is needed for its natural development.
i really dont agree that Canada is in some way conspiring to invade or take Quebec by force to enhance its natural development. Quebec is already a province within Canada and as such belongs to Canada already...
And If Canada did want to do something like that it certainly would have nipped this whole separatist movement in the bud by rounding up Rene Levesque and his core of separatists , charging them with treason and/or sedition and preventing the instituting of bill101.

Last edited by jambo101; 09-21-2013 at 05:39 AM..

Old 09-21-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:

Hard to find a definition of the term Lebensraum with out the German Nazi connection.. lets try this one instead.
Even if this was an (uninentional) Nazi analogy, if you look at posts on here and commentary elsewhere the score is still something like 20,000,000 to 1 against me when it comes to finger-pointing the other guy with that comparison!

Old 09-21-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:

i really dont agree that Canada is in some way conspiring to invade or take Quebec by force to enhance its natural development. Quebec is already a province within Canada and as such belongs to Canada already...
And If Canada did want to do something like that it certainly would have nipped this whole separatist movement in the bud by rounding up Rene Levesque and his separatist supporters, charging them with treason and/or sedition and preventing the instituting of bill101.
It's certainly not that harsh (we are in Canada in the 21st century after all), but there certainly is an underlying sentiment that Canada (and the US) are places where everyone regardless of origin is expected to conform to the ''anglo way'', at least to the point where anglos and those who have espoused their ways are not hindered in their ways.

Quebec is the biggest chunk of territory that challenges this train of thought.

There are also places in the US that are like this, and if you doubt what I am saying you might ask yourself why there are very large cities that have virtually no large retail chains like grocery stores within their limits.

There is no direct attack on any of these places of course, but the ''power'' certainly does not go out of its way to make things easier for places where its way is not free to dominate.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
It's certainly not that harsh (we are in Canada in the 21st century after all), but there certainly is an underlying sentiment that Canada (and the US) are places where everyone regardless of origin is expected to conform to the ''anglo way'', at least to the point where anglos and those who have espoused their ways are not hindered in their ways.

Quebec is the biggest chunk of territory that challenges this train of thought.

There are also places in the US that are like this, and if you doubt what I am saying you might ask yourself why there are very large cities that have virtually no large retail chains like grocery stores within their limits.

There is no direct attack on any of these places of course, but the ''power'' certainly does not go out of

its way to make things easier for places where its way is not free to dominate.
A fact Marois doesnt seem to comprehend as her party is hell bent on making Quebec the perfect little Francophone paradise...

Much as you love to use the words dominate and oppress Nobody is trying to make anyone conform to the Anglo way but Marois is doing everything she can to make everyone in Quebec conform the the Francophone way, rather dominating and oppressing all minorities in Quebec .
In most large American cities there are no major grocery stores because no one lives in the urban cores,its just office towers where by 6pm every one has gone home to the suburbs where there are large grocery chains in abundance, cities where people do live downtown do have grocery stores in convenient locations..

Old 09-22-2013, 01:35 AM

[quote=Acajack;31484227]
Quote:
No, i'd either move elsewhere in Canada or move back to the USA or the UK, Quebec is no longer worth the effort or the stress to many of putting up with all its constant asinine bs, Quebec's separatist government and its supporters may not realize it but in this day and age Quebec and its silly laws are being left behind as the mobility of global infrastructure is motivating people to move elsewhere or not come here in the first place ultimately relegating Quebec to a cultural backwater status here in North America..[/quote]

We got the memo already - we have to do exactly as you say and think, and ultimately be like you, or else we get left behind.

All of this is really classic Anglo-Quebecer/Anglo-Montrealer navel-gazing and "woe-is-me" bellyaching more than anything else.

I am sure people are realllllllly scared of Quebec, when you have muslim face coverings banned on the streets in France, Belgium and the Netherlands, a soldier getting his head chopped off on a street by extremists in London, harsh anti-immigrant right-wingers getting elected all over hitherto "moderate" Europe, Angela Merkel saying multiculturalism is a failure, Russia cracking down on dissidents and gays, mass shootings of innoncent people every couple of months in the US with no serious political intent to address the problem, and the state of Iowa allowing blind people to have permits to carry guns!

Wow, Quebec really stands out as a bad place, doesn't it? I am sure no one will want to come here any more!

Or perhaps it's just that Quebec is simply the proverbial pebble in the shoe that is annoying you and others as you march down the path to continental lebensraum?

AJ, its retorts like this that make me think you dont quite get where i'm coming from or the point i'm trying to make. Put yourself in an Anglo perspective for a moment.
To put it simply, you are happily living your life in Quebec,then one day the provincial government comes out and says you cant post English signs anymore etc etc,its the law we've just put in place..Really? who the hell are you to tell me what language i can post a sign in? And on and on it goes for the next 50 years with more and more linguistic rules and regulations targeting the English language. And now it drifts into laws governing religious freedoms, like whoa wait a minute just what gives you (the Quebec Government) the right to lay down all these rules and regulations on our freedoms?
What gives Quebec the right to even propose draconian language laws such as this=
CBC.ca Montreal - Interactive - Highlights from Bill 14.
AJ how would you feel if i came over to your house and started dictating all manner of rules and regulations on how you should live your life? I guarantee you'd have the attitude of Who the F are you to be telling me what to do and how i should live my life,AJ its the law i just made up and you have to comply,, its the law eh...

That hypothetical scenario is the way most Anglos i've talked to over the last 40yrs feel.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:39 AM

564 posts, read 878,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
According to you - HOW MANY KIDS NEED TO BE STABBED OR CUT by a kirpan/ dagger/ knife before you decide to put a stop to KIDS bringing kirpan/ dagger/ knife(s) to the school/ classroom?
It is unacceptable for ANY kids to be stabbed or cut while at school. I completely understand your concerns. However, I just think that there are other issues that would concern me more as causing potential harm to a child, i.e. walking to school and getting hit by a vehicle, bullies, sexual abuse, assault with any type of weapon (not just religious symbols), etc. I just don't see kirpans being up there with all the other more likely threats.

Kids are at risk everywhere they go. But we need to keep things in perspective.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:13 AM

307 posts, read 186,123 times
[quote=jambo101;31507106]
Quote:

AJ, its retorts like this that make me think you dont quite get where i'm coming from or the point i'm trying to make. Put yourself in an Anglo perspective for a moment.
To put it simply, you are happily living your life in Quebec,then one day the provincial government comes out and says you cant post English signs anymore etc etc,its the law we've just put in place..Really? who the hell are you to tell me what language i can post a sign in? And on and on it goes for the next 50 years with more and more linguistic rules and regulations targeting the English language. And now it drifts into laws governing religious freedoms, like whoa wait a minute just what gives you (the Quebec Government) the right to lay down all these rules and regulations on our freedoms?
What gives Quebec the right to even propose draconian language laws such as this=
CBC.ca Montreal - Interactive - Highlights from Bill 14.
AJ how would you feel if i came over to your house and started dictating all manner of rules and regulations on how you should live your life? I guarantee you'd have the attitude of Who the F are you to be telling me what to do and how i should live my life,AJ its the law i just made up and you have to comply,, its the law eh...

That hypothetical scenario is the way most Anglos i've talked to over the last 40yrs feel.
Jambo, it's nigh on impossible to convince AJ to do that. If I say my wife used to get detention for speaking English in the school halls, he'd either accuse me of lying, assume it was an isolated incident, or give any other excuse to make my statement look extreme/insane. AJ does not appear to be in the business of seeing any alternate POV on this reality.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:19 AM

[quote=quebon;31522860]
Quote:

Jambo, it's nigh on impossible to convince AJ to do that. If I say my wife used to get detention for speaking English in the school halls, he'd either accuse me of lying, assume it was an isolated incident, or give any other excuse to make my statement look extreme/insane. AJ does not appear to be in the business of seeing any alternate POV on this reality.
Well, at one point I actually went to French schools where you could get detention for speaking English in the halls or the schoolyard, so there you go...

Old 09-23-2013, 11:30 AM

307 posts, read 186,123 times
[quote=Acajack;31522931]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post

Well, at one point I actually went to French schools where you could get detention for speaking English in the halls or the schoolyard, so there you go...
Nice; but you have a jaded perspective, as I don't think you are born to an immigrant and then forced into that position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or