U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 03:52 PM

2,289 posts, read 3,934,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I remember reading an article about a Baptist nurse in the UK who was suspended from work for offering to pray for one of her patients. Is this really the direction that you want society to go in? The government wouldn't be neutral by enforcing this, they'd be forcing their anti-religion agenda on their workers. Government workers shouldn't be slaves to politicians.
If you're asking me whether I think public servants should be allowed to promote their religious beliefs while performing their duties, the answer is no. That said, the devil is obviously in the details. In my mind, saying "I'll pray for you" does not count as promotion..

As I noted in my previous post, civil servants must already abide by such a law; the charter would extend it to hospital and education workers and quite frankly, I'm all for that.

Who talked about slavery?? This is getting overblown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 07:46 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
yeah, Quebec is so horrible that people are fleeing like there is no tomorrow. Is it the kind of statement you are trying to make? Unfortunately people in Quebec don't really agree with you.

population of Quebec

1961 5,259 (k)
1971 6,028
1981 6,438
1991 6,896
2001 7,397
2002 7,444
2003 7,487
2012 8,081

When you finally leave in 2017, Quebec probably has 8.5 million already.
More info from Statistics Canada that people are fleeing Quebec in droves:

Table 2 – Annual population estimates

Same growth rate as Ontario and even slightly higher than Lotus Land BC.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:51 PM

78 posts, read 203,365 times
Quebec gets their laws and ideas from France. France banned religious symbols in public buildings and burqa on public streets so Quebec wants to do the same. Muslims in France suburbs have created ghettos and high crime so Quebec government doesn't want any Islamic immigration.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:34 PM

7,244 posts, read 6,585,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashaly View Post
Quebec gets their laws and ideas from France. France banned religious symbols in public buildings and burqa on public streets so Quebec wants to do the same. Muslims in France suburbs have created ghettos and high crime so Quebec government doesn't want any Islamic immigration.
I think that probably has a lot to do with it. Maybe Quebec doesn't want to have the same problems as what has been happening in France, Holland and England.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think that probably has a lot to do with it. Maybe Quebec doesn't want to have the same problems as what has been happening in France, Holland and England.

True...

Old 09-27-2013, 08:24 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,964,460 times
I'm blown away by the ignorance here. Muslim immigrants don't cause any more problems than immigrants (or born and bred Canadians, for that matter) from any other religion. Immigration is good for our country, and muslims should be welcomed with open arms to our multicultural society. Don't give me that talk about protecting culture. Canada's culture is multiculturalism. Just because European governments are racist doesn't mean ours should be.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:15 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Quote:
I'm blown away by the ignorance here. Muslim immigrants don't cause any more problems than immigrants (or born and bred Canadians, for that matter) from any other religion. Immigration is good for our country, and muslims should be welcomed with open arms to our multicultural society. Don't give me that talk about protecting culture. Canada's culture is multiculturalism. Just because European governments are racist doesn't mean ours should be.
You are talking as if this proposed charter was the Charter of Non-Muslim Values. Or Anti-Muslim Values.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:32 AM

34,384 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You are talking as if this proposed charter was the Charter of Non-Muslim Values. Or Anti-Muslim Values.
"If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck,

AJ you have to be very naive to think this Charter of Values isnt targeting the values of all visible minorities through the clothing they wear..
I've been waiting some time for your reasoning on why this piece of legislation is necessary,

Last edited by jambo101; 09-28-2013 at 01:41 AM..

Old 09-28-2013, 01:34 AM

7,244 posts, read 6,585,166 times
Quote:
I agree with most of what you said above about welcoming immigrants of all faiths to Canada and I agree that most muslim immigrants in Canada don't cause problems. I think most of them come here to get away from problems and to escape from persecution inflicted by radical muslims.

But I think to accuse European governments of racism is being a bit naive if you are not aware of some of the bad things that are happening in some European countries. I have pagan friends that live in Holland and Germany, well travelled through all of Europe and they are anything but racist, the most welcoming and open minded people one could ever hope to know but they have still related some dreadful stories about abuses heaped on the native Europeans by radical Islam immigrants to their cities. In some parts of their own cities the native Holland and German women can't walk on the sidewalks and in shops without being called filthy names, having stuff thrown at them and being spat upon by radical muslim men because they are not wearing head coverings. There have been incidents of rape, beatings, arson and murder in those countries and even in some places in Russia, that have been committed by radical muslims for the sake of Islam.

So I think when things like that are happening in multicultural countries in Europe where muslims have been welcomed with open arms and you have a radical element of muslims committing acts like that because of their religion there is a problem. You have to ask who is really being racist or bigoted, and is it really wrong for other multicultural countries to have concerns about the same things happening in their own countries if they don't put stop-gaps and preventatives in place ahead of time.

I'm not saying that definitely is what Quebec is concerned about or that it's the sole reason for them coming up with their Charter of Values, but I do suspect it is a valid concern for them and may be something that influenced them.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:17 PM

I think they should just ban burka on public streets and drop the secular charter proposal unless all of Canada follows the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or