U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 02:53 PM

5,691 posts, read 6,537,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashaly View Post
I think they should just ban burka on public streets and drop the secular charter proposal unless all of Canada follows the same
Well, HELLO, again, Jews for Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 09:30 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,964,098 times
Many people say "There's a time and place for everything". I disagree with this statement. Some things are fundamental to human rights and shouldn't be confined to certain settings. Religion is one of these things.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:52 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,995,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've been waiting some time for your reasoning on why this piece of legislation is necessary,
Jambo, you are being dishonest if you think that no-one on this thread has given you a single reason justifying the general ideas behing this legislation. Note that I said "general ideas behind this legislation" and not "the legislation as it stands today".

I have quoted MULTIPLE Supreme Court cases re: religious freedom, and have proven to you and others that religious freedom in Canada is not absolute. I have gone to great lengths and shown the irregularities in many court rulings ...

In a recent article in the Toronto Star, Claire L’Heureux-Dubé, who sat on the Supreme Court of Canada from 1987 until 2002, argued that some rights are more fundamental than others and that, in Canada, the right to equality trumps religion.

Are you going to call her Islamophobic and an Immigrant Hater too? I would think that an ex-SofC justice knows more about Canadian Law than people on this forum.

This former Supreme Court Justice also went on to say that she sees more veiled women in Quebec than in her travels to Muslim countries such as Pakistan and Morocco.

So please stop pretending that people who support the ideas behind this legislation are racists ....

Ex-Supreme Court judge expected to back Quebec values charter | Toronto Star

Last edited by sandman249; 09-30-2013 at 12:01 PM..

Old 09-30-2013, 12:39 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Jambo, you are being dishonest if you think that no-one on this thread has given you a single reason justifying the general ideas behing this legislation. Note that I said "general ideas behind this legislation" and not "the legislation as it stands today".

I have quoted MULTIPLE Supreme Court cases re: religious freedom, and have proven to you and others that religious freedom in Canada is not absolute. I have gone to great lengths and shown the irregularities in many court rulings ...

In a recent article in the Toronto Star, Claire L’Heureux-Dubé, who sat on the Supreme Court of Canada from 1987 until 2002, argued that some rights are more fundamental than others and that, in Canada, the right to equality trumps religion.

Are you going to call her Islamophobic and an Immigrant Hater too? I would think that an ex-SofC justice knows more about Canadian Law than people on this forum.

This former Supreme Court Justice also went on to say that she sees more veiled women in Quebec than in her travels to Muslim countries such as Pakistan and Morocco.

So please stop pretending that people who support the ideas behind this legislation are racists ....

Ex-Supreme Court judge expected to back Quebec values charter | Toronto Star
You know my views Sandman but being a former Supreme Court judge doesn't necessarily mean that someone can't be racist. (Not saying that she is, though.)

Old 09-30-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You know my views Sandman but being a former Supreme Court judge doesn't necessarily mean that someone can't be racist. (Not saying that she is, though.)
I agree. There's no guarantee that an ex-justice Supreme Court of Canada cannot be racist. But the statement: In Canada, the right to equality trumps religion - should be taken seriously and essentially refutes 95% of the things that others have said on this thread. Everyone pretends to understand Canadian Law, while having a poor understanding about things like religious freedoms and the Charter.

In a way, the two core points made by the ex-justice have very little to do with race/ racism and more to do with Canadian laws and core values.
- Some rights are more fundamental than others;
- The right to equality trumps religion.

Common Sense!

Old 09-30-2013, 02:58 PM

34,380 posts, read 41,471,780 times
AJ i consider you the spokesperson for the Quebec francophone on this forum and i've been asking for your take on this Charter of vALUES ,Why its needed and how it benefits Quebec,to date i have no idea what your francophone position is on the issue.Quoting Supreme court judges opinions is dodging the question.As a Quebec francophone i'm interested on what you have to say on the issue.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:01 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Quote:
AJ i consider you the spokesperson for the Quebec francophone on this forum and i've been asking for your take on this Charter of vALUES ,Why its needed and how it benefits Quebec,to date i have no idea what your francophone position is on the issue.Quoting Supreme court judges opinions is dodging the question.As a Quebec francophone i'm interested on what you have to say on the issue.
I don't see why I should have to be representative of anyone but myself. Besides, given my origins I am probably fairly atypical for a francophone in Quebec.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't see why I should have to be representative of anyone but myself. Besides, given my origins I am probably fairly atypical for a francophone in Quebec.
As you seem to be quick to give your opinion on anything to do with Quebec, to promote and give good info on all things related to Quebec i just thought your francophone view on this proposed charter would be more forthcoming and would reflect a more fundamental francophone perspective/viewpoint than what i'm hearing from various government officials on the news media where they are trying to spin a religious neutrality slant on the whole issue,i aint buying it, while you evidently dont want to opine for or against this proposed piece of legislation i think its nothing more than a racist attack on those in Quebec who dont happen to be francophone from a Xenophobic government thats doing its best to to discourage any kind of cultural diversity in Quebec through the implementation of idiotic laws directed at Anglophones and visible minorities.As for your view on the Charter Of Quebec Values i'm no longer interested in hearing it,as to date your responses are couched in vacuous semantics and psychobabble.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:51 AM

We're almost there eh..

police state

a country in which the activities of the people are strictly controlled by the government with the help of a police force,
Full Definition of POLICE STATE

: a political unit characterized by repressive governmental control of political, economic, and social life usually by an arbitrary exercise of power by police and especially secret police in place of regular operation of administrative and judicial organs of the government according to publicly known legal procedures

Old 10-02-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
We're almost there eh..

police state

a country in which the activities of the people are strictly controlled by the government with the help of a police force,
Full Definition of POLICE STATE

: a political unit characterized by repressive governmental control of political, economic, and social life usually by an arbitrary exercise of power by police and especially secret police in place of regular operation of administrative and judicial organs of the government according to publicly known legal procedures
Born in a prison camp in North Korea, and believed to be one of the only prisoner to have escaped, Shin Dong-hyuk recounted his experiences with almost no expression on his face (60 minutes CBS). He said that generations of a family are incarcerated if one family member is considered disloyal - and that's how he ended up in prison. The part of the interview that haunts you forever is where Shin Dong-hyuk talks about his parents being killed in front of him because of his complaint to the warden. He did it because he didn't know any better - he does not understand concepts like "love and loyalty". He was born and bred to display no emotions!

Welcome to North Korea - a police state.

Sorry, I digress. Did you say Quebec was becoming a police state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or