U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:07 AM

21,940 posts, read 27,338,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Born in a prison camp in North Korea, and believed to be one of the only prisoner to have escaped, Shin Dong-hyuk recounted his experiences with almost no expression on his face (60 minutes CBS). He said that generations of a family are incarcerated if one family member is considered disloyal - and that's how he ended up in prison. The part of the interview that haunts you forever is where Shin Dong-hyuk talks about his parents being killed in front of him because of his complaint to the warden. He did it because he didn't know any better - he does not understand concepts like "love and loyalty". He was born and bred to display no emotions!

Welcome to North Korea - a police state.

Sorry, I digress. Did you say Quebec was becoming a police state?
And then he wonders why I sometimes don't answer his questions directly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 12:51 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,963,351 times
North Korea is an extreme example. A less extreme example would be Malaysia. A police state nonetheless.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:57 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,994,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
North Korea is an extreme example. A less extreme example would be Malaysia. A police state nonetheless.
I don't think I know a lot about Malaysian political system, but I visited the country a few years ago. I am not sure why you would call it a "police state". But then again, some people call the U.S. a police state. I guess you are free to throw the word around as you please ....

Old 10-03-2013, 02:43 AM

34,368 posts, read 41,455,107 times
I wouldnt go as far as saying Quebec is anywhere near the same level of police state as North Korea, but there are certain undeniable elements in Quebec society that fit the police state description.
Quote:
police state
a country in which the activities of the people are strictly controlled by the government with the help of a police force,(read OQLF)
Quote:

Old 10-03-2013, 06:27 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,032,363 times
Heh, heh, heh -- Parizeau thinks they've gone too far. Now THAT'S amusing. Heh, heh, heh!

Jacques Parizeau wants PQ to pull back scope of Charter of Quebec Values

Jacques Parizeau rips PQ values charter

PQ stung by Jacques Parizeau’s rebuke of values charter: Hébert

Jacques Parizeau says values charter goes too far

Jonathan Kay: Jacques Parizeau, voice of reason (Yes, you read that right)

Editorial: Some helpful comments from Jacques Parizeau

Last edited by maclock; 10-03-2013 at 06:35 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 06:30 PM

18,266 posts, read 10,368,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Heh, heh, heh -- Parizeau thinks they've gone too far. Now THAT'S amusing. Heh, heh, heh!

Jacques Parizeau wants PQ to pull back scope of Charter of Quebec Values

This cracked me up as well. The man must be attempting to assuage the guilt left from his stupid outburst after losing the vote "it was those damned ethnics". Haaar. Overstuffed pompous azz!

Old 10-04-2013, 01:31 AM

5,691 posts, read 6,535,324 times
Thanks for posting that. I'll be very interested in seeing what he actually says.

ETA I didn't see the link that led to his comments before my post.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:48 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,032,363 times
This just keeps getting better and better.

Bernard Landry joins Bouchard, Parizeau in charter critique

Old 10-05-2013, 02:48 AM

34,368 posts, read 41,455,107 times
I've been here in Florida for the past couple of weeks and friends and family have been getting bits and pieces of the Quebec story so they are asking me to clarify the situation in Quebec, after explaining The ideas of a separatist government and some of the linguistic rules and regulations people are expected to legally abide by and explaining the whole idea of language police and Quebecs need to potentially double down on those rules with bill 14 and now explaining the proposed Charter of values the usual response is wow, jim how can you accept living in such a place? As the USA espouses much in the ideals of freedom my friends conclusions toward Quebec arent flattering,..
It used to be some time ago that i was proud to say i was from Quebec, now? its just an embarrassment to have to say i live in a place where i have to put up with all this insane bs from the government just because i'm stuck here.

Last edited by jambo101; 10-05-2013 at 02:59 AM..

Old 10-05-2013, 05:24 AM

21,940 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've been here in Florida for the past couple of weeks and friends and family have been getting bits and pieces of the Quebec story so they are asking me to clarify the situation in Quebec, after explaining The ideas of a separatist government and some of the linguistic rules and regulations people are expected to legally abide by and explaining the whole idea of language police and Quebecs need to potentially double down on those rules with bill 14 and now explaining the proposed Charter of values the usual response is wow, jim how can you accept living in such a place? As the USA espouses much in the ideals of freedom my friends conclusions toward Quebec arent flattering,..
It used to be some time ago that i was proud to say i was from Quebec, now? its just an embarrassment to have to say i live in a place where i have to put up with all this insane bs from the government just because i'm stuck here.
Yes I am sure you are giving them a balanced view of everyday life here in Quebec.

What you don't realize is by going over the top so much in your portrayal they either end up thinking you are crazy for staying here, and also make them unsympathetic to your cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or