U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 02:04 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
They know darn well that their religion absolutely requires the head coverings, and these people will be forced to choose between their religion and their job (and they will choose their religion, we all know that). Certain groups cannot maintain their faith without the head coverings. It is too integral. It is (and forgive me, it is not a directly related example), telling a Christian that you can be a Christian all you want, but you can't go to church or pray. The head coverings of certain religions are THAT critical to the religion.
I don't buy it.

Do they wear those 24/7? All I can say is that if they think it is crucial to wear those covering, then this job is not right for them. It is like if someone absolutely hates to wear suites and tie, he can't be a banker.

Most jobs require staff to be in certain attire which the employers deem appropriate. Religions is not an exception.

Maybe it is their religion that needs to provide more flexibility. So example, some religion has so many days when they can't eat, or can't work, or can't sleep or can't whatever. Should the employer keeps satisfying them, offering them days off just because of these requirements? Absolutely not. We are in Canada and you live like a Canadian. If you decide to move to work in China, your employe will NOT give you Christmas or Easter off just because you are Christian. Got it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 04:00 PM

12,704 posts, read 8,782,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't buy it.

Do they wear those 24/7? All I can say is that if they think it is crucial to wear those covering, then this job is not right for them. It is like if someone absolutely hates to wear suites and tie, he can't be a banker.

Most jobs require staff to be in certain attire which the employers deem appropriate. Religions is not an exception.

Maybe it is their religion that needs to provide more flexibility. So example, some religion has so many days when they can't eat, or can't work, or can't sleep or can't whatever. Should the employer keeps satisfying them, offering them days off just because of these requirements? Absolutely not. We are in Canada and you live like a Canadian. If you decide to move to work in China, your employe will NOT give you Christmas or Easter off just because you are Christian. Got it?
Of course they don't wear them 24/7. Even the Pope gets naked once in a while.

" We are in Canada and you live like a Canadian " . What exactly does that mean? I thought part of being Canadian was tolerance of others.
I'm not advocating Sharia law or anything, but surely an employee wearing a turban in a government office is something that fits into our supposed shared values.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:10 PM

3,072 posts, read 4,285,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't buy it.

Do they wear those 24/7?
Except sleep, Sikh men wear it 24/7. The women wear the hijab in the presence of non-related men/public. They remove it at home (unless unrelated males are at the home) and they remove it in all-female gatherings in private.

It's not about liking to wear it. It is a basic principle of the religion. Sikh men have starved themselves on hunger strikes before removing turbans. They simply won't do it. It's not negotiable to the religion.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:14 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,548,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful Forever View Post
Canada is a Christian nation so non-Christian symbols should be banned
Hi, Jews For Jesus!

Old 09-12-2013, 06:22 PM

34,449 posts, read 41,558,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful Forever View Post
Canada is a Christian nation so non-Christian symbols should be banned
Canada is also a free nation and as such diversity should be encouraged and welcomed.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Hi, Jews For Jesus!
Ya...so obvious...time for another incarnation.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Except sleep, Sikh men wear it 24/7. The women wear the hijab in the presence of non-related men/public. They remove it at home (unless unrelated males are at the home) and they remove it in all-female gatherings in private.

It's not about liking to wear it. It is a basic principle of the religion. Sikh men have starved themselves on hunger strikes before removing turbans. They simply won't do it. It's not negotiable to the religion.
Sikh men do take off their turbans to wash their hair.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:08 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,548,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Ya...so obvious...time for another incarnation.
S/he really, really likes us. I wonder what profession s/he'll pick this time.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Canada is also a free nation and as such diversity should be encouraged and welcomed.
I agree. There is a balance of having newcomers understand the country they've move to, and that country allows freedom of religion. So now to say to those in Quebec, you can't wear your turban because you are an elementary school teacher, is wrong. Terribly wrong.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
S/he really, really likes us. I wonder what profession s/he'll pick this time.
Black nurse working in an emergency room in Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or