Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 01:26 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,093,689 times

Advertisements

Articles of clothing are not oppressive if women choose whether or not to wear these garments, which, if I'm not mistaken, they already have the right to do.

This is really about your hatred for muslims. Don't even try and deny it. Your mentality as a supporter of the Charter of Values is that since you can't ban islam, you want to do whatever it takes to hide it.

I have no idea why the majority of people on these forums seem to be anti-religion, but either way, you clearly value your own rights and your own rights only, carelessly indifferent to the rights of others.

Last edited by pdw; 09-17-2013 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 01:45 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
speaking of hazards, I saw a bunch of women in niqab taking the escalator in Addis Ababa, and somehow the lower part of the garment got sucked into the escalator, preventing the woman from moving forward at the end of it, and the following women in the same clothes ended up all bunching into each in scream.

Fortunately nobody was hurt in the end.
Such clumsy outfit does pose a safety hazard, not to mention the difficulty with seeing things clearly by wearing the burqas.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:49 PM
pdw

Let people worry about their own problems. What you just described could happen with any loose-fitting clothes.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:51 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Articles of clothing are not oppressive if women choose whether or not to wear these garments, which, if I'm not mistaken, they already have the right to do.

This is really about your hatred for muslims. Don't even try and deny it. Your mentality as a supporter of the Charter of Values is that since you can't ban islam, you want to do whatever it takes to hide it.

I have no idea why the majority of people on these forums seem to be atheist supremacists, but either way, you clearly value your own rights and your own rights only, carelessly indifferent to the rights of others.
I am neither an atheist supremacist, a muslim hater, nor a strong supporter of the charter as it is written at the moment, nor do I have any answers to these difficult issues, but one thing I do know is you really have to overdose on the wishful thinking kool aid if you think that most women who are wearing the burqa are doing so of their own free will in the absence of strong coercion. It's an odd coincidence isn't it that basically every single muslim women's group in the world is against the burqa?

And just to clarify although I am a progressive pluralist, I am also a supporter of women's rights and this aspect of my politics will trump religious freedoms that could curtail these rights every single time.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:56 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
To add to the comment, many countries have completely banned any clothes that cove the face/identity of the wearer in public, that includes France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Italy. A person can be find 500 for wearing those.

Regarding burqas/niqabs, it is not about religious freedom or what God you believe any more. It is about public safety. Concealing one's face should not be allowed in public unless in exceptional circumstances (surgical masks due to sickness for example).

Theoretically men can easily wear those garments pretending to be women while engaging in criminal actions in order to avoid suspicion or indentification.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:58 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times
Where are all the burqas, anyways? I didn't even see more than 2 or 3 walking around Egypt,, somehow I doubt there are more Muslims there than here in Quebec. The niqab was worn by elderly women, even the younger ones just had a hijab.

If a woman is so fundamentalist that she would wear a burqa, I highly doubt she is looking to get a job outside the house. It's like the hardcore Mennonite women I used to see back in BC, part of their religion/beliefs about women in society meant they did not work outside the home.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:04 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,492 times
Quote:

I have no idea why the majority of people on these forums seem to be anti-religion, but either way, you clearly value your own rights and your own rights only, carelessly indifferent to the rights of others.
Not sure why you would label people as "Muslim haters". For all you know, some of us are Muslims.

Adding to Acajack's point :
Quote:
It's an odd coincidence isn't it that basically every single muslim women's group in the world is against the burqa?
GIVEN the history of the burqa, and it's current use in much of the world, there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that the burqa is nothing but a sign of extreme misogyny. To put this in perspective - this is worn by women in societies where you can be killed for having an extramarital affair.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:08 PM
pdw

Botticelli et al: Freedom for women to practise their own religion is a women's rights issue itself, but clearly that doesn't concern you.

Women in Canada have nothing to fear if they choose to not wear religious clothing. The law is on their side. They do it because they want to, and they should continue to have the right to do it.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:18 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Where are all the burqas, anyways? I didn't even see more than 2 or 3 walking around Egypt,, somehow I doubt there are more Muslims there than here in Quebec. The niqab was worn by elderly women, even the younger ones just had a hijab.

If a woman is so fundamentalist that she would wear a burqa, I highly doubt she is looking to get a job outside the house. It's like the hardcore Mennonite women I used to see back in BC, part of their religion/beliefs about women in society meant they did not work outside the home.
Another Acajack question for which I have no answer - is it better to wait and see what will happen since there is not much of an issue at this time (which is entirely true, you are right), or is it wiser to clarify things for the future right now when the effects are minimal since, apparently, there are no public school teachers in Quebec wearing the burqa?

So let's says we wait and see, and then given our demographic evolution perhaps eventually we get a couple of young teachers here and there who end up in schools wearing the burqa. The kids love them, but a single parent complains. We go through this entire process again, except that this time it involves an actual person who is a position. Doing a good job even. The kids are upset because they love their teacher. Most of the parents are upset because their kids are upset that they will lose the teacher they love. Other parents like the teacher but think she'd be just as good with her face uncovered. Other parents are not so nice and say racist things about the teacher. And so on. And so on.

Could this have been avoided if these teachers, when making their career choice, had fully known that the burqa in the classroom would be a no-go?

Or maybe we simply won't be getting any burqa-wearing muslim women trying to become teachers in Quebec anyway?

(Note I am not really talking about the proposed charter here, and simply about the burqa, which I don't think should be banned from public spaces like the streets, but probably should not be worn by persons who represent the authority of the state like teachers.)

Old 09-17-2013, 02:19 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,492 times
Quote:
Botticelli et al: Freedom for women to practise their own religion is a women's rights issue itself, but clearly that doesn't concern you.

Women in Canada have nothing to fear if they choose to not wear religious clothing. The law is on their side. They do it because they want to, and they should continue to have the right to do it.
Ignorant et. al. ..... you think females have nothing to fear?

In Canada, 44% of family violence (mainly husband beating the wife/ kids) is either not reported or is withdrawn. Why are they not saved if the law is on their side? Clearly, it is more complicated than you are making it out to be.

Can you be any more ignorant of the reality?

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-.../11643-eng.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada