Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 01:48 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,252,405 times

Advertisements

Quebec releases controversial ‘values charter,’ proposes that anyone giving, receiving public services would need face uncovered | National Post

Quebec Charter of Values now officially tabled, other than small inconspicuous pieces of jewelery all forms of Religious symbolism and attire would potentially be banned in the public sector if this piece of legislation is passed, sounds like Xenophobic racist intolerance to me.
xenophobic

Web definitions
suffering from xenophobia; having abnormal fear or hatred of the strange or foreign.

rac·ism

Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race..

Charter of Values,,oh how the separatist government will enjoy pushing the limits of this piece of legislative
c rap if passed..Religious freedoms today, Canada and Quebecs 's Anglo tomorrow.
Hey its a Quebec value eh.. its the law..

Last edited by jambo101; 09-10-2013 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,524,777 times
I love this part.

""The giant crucifix above Montreal’s Mount Royal — and the one above the Speaker’s chair of the legislature — will be spared under the logic that they are integral to Quebec’s cultural history: “The crucifix is there to stay, in the name of history, in the name of heritage,” Drainville said."

Already cracks in the ideology.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:40 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,710,758 times
I support this charter.
Public service should be non-religious. As a public servant, the fact you belong to a religion and show it may affect how tax payers perceive you when requiring services (don't deny it, it is true).

Old 09-10-2013, 03:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,524,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I support this charter.
Public service should be non-religious. As a public servant, the fact you belong to a religion and show it may affect how tax payers perceive you when requiring services (don't deny it, it is true).
Somehow I knew you would.
I'm curious though. Exactly what issues or problems have there been in the Public Service regarding religious head gear or symbols?
Anyone?

Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 PM

26,858 posts, read 37,970,208 times
Memo to English Canada: you are being politically trolled in order to set up the next PQ majority government and, ultimately, the third referendum.

Underneath this issue are stakes a lot higher than whether a lady can wear a burqa while working in a daycare.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:30 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,516,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Memo to English Canada: you are being politically trolled in order to set up the next PQ majority government and, ultimately, the third referendum.

Underneath this issue are stakes a lot higher than whether a lady can wear a burqa while working in a daycare.
I knooow. The PQ just plays them like a fiddle, and they don't know enough or care enough anymore not to get played.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,252,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Kinda obvious the separatists want to separate Quebec from Canada and will use any means they can to accomplish that objective, why dont you paint the picture AJ as just how this Charter of Values plays out to a winning referendum on separation,perhaps you could explain this piece of legislation from the francophone perspective as i only see a racist Xenophobic piece of legislation whose only reason for being is to satiate the need for sameness to an intolerant separatist government thats afraid of diversity of any kind.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:49 AM

One thing that is interesting is the contrast between the reactions of the "official ROC" and the "grassroots ROC'' to this issue.

Official ROC, which includes the political class and media commentators, is nearly unanimous in its righteous indignation. These condemnations are generally devoid of any subtlety or balanced analysis.

Grassroots ROC, on the other hand, which you see on discussion forums and comment pages, is virtually split in three. And this is true of the populist fora as much as it is of more ''savant" ones.

The three groups are:

- the righteously indignant, who basically mirror the reactions of the Official ROC

- people who say ''way to go Quebec, people have to adapt to their new country, not the other way around, blablabla..." (not always said this nicely BTW)

- people who qui predictably use this as another excuse to bash Quebec (code word for ''French Canadians'') with vitriol that ironically is usually infinitely more racist than anything that is in that Charter proposal announced yesterday

Old 09-11-2013, 06:53 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,228,239 times
I wonder if Mr. Milk is in that 3rd category, eh?

Hubby and I discussed this last night as well, and I agree with you that we're heading for a third referendum.

Internet trolls take note, Pauline has pwned us all!

Old 09-11-2013, 07:10 AM

It would be extremely interesting to see a poll of ROCers on the issues and proposals of the PQ government. In order to make it count though, the "Quebec factor'' would have to be taken out of the equation, which is of course impossible at this point given all of the publicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada