U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 06:42 PM

152 posts, read 455,938 times

Advertisements

I'm currently staying in a furnished apartment till october 1st. Staying there only 3 weeks total before i move to another one. There is a mailbox for my apartment. However, i was told that if i was to order something online such as from amazon canada, i cannot put my address as postal service can't deliver it. The guy told me to put the address next door... its a laundromat.

Where i live in the us, we have mailboxes and if ups or fedex comes, they ring your door and knock on your door for package. Is it pretty normal for packages in canada to not be able to be sent directly to a certain address b/c they cannot ring the door? The guy told me i would pick up my package next door at the laundromat. The thing is, has anyone had their stuff lost because of this? It feels weird to have a package that is very big that is sent to not your address.

The thing is for my small building, you need a key to open the door. And once you do, there are just a few mailboxes there. Then you have to walk up the stairs. It would be very tough to walk up stairs with a big package. Im curious how do you people in canada who live in these apartments get their packages?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 08:06 PM

11,269 posts, read 12,488,136 times
Maybe you can set up a post office box with Canada Post instead since you'll be moving around. Then stuff will just go there no matter where you move...............I assume. lol

I had a package last week that I wasn home to receive and the Purolator guy just left a thing on my door saying to pick it up at their building. Same thing when I lived in my apartment building. Really tiny boxes for the apartments so if anything bigger came, CP or FedEx or whoever would just leave a note saying where to pick it up.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 PM

15,390 posts, read 9,353,779 times
Canada Post and Fedex will leave pick up notes. Canada Post will have a pick up counter close to you (in a convenience store or drug store) but Fedex may be at a depot far from you.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:48 AM

2,216 posts, read 3,753,778 times
The guy who suggested that plan -- is he the owner of the laundromat?

Things here work exactly the same as in the US -- if a package needs a signature, or if it's too big to fit in the mailbox, they'll ring you up and if you aren't there, they'll leave a pick up note.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:18 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,527,129 times
When we get packages too big for the mailbox and there's nobody home, the mailman leaves a note that we can pick them up at the post office.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:20 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,527,129 times
My son also orders a lot of car parts sent via Purolator or FedEx. Same thing. They'll leave you a pickup note if there's no answer when they come.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:13 PM

152 posts, read 455,938 times
Okay so im looking to purchase a computer monitor online and i see this one.

HP S-IPS 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor With 12ms Response Time (ZR24W) - Black - Refurbished : 23" - 24" Monitors - Best Buy Canada

When i try to purchase it, i get this message

The following errors occurred:
Currently, our suppliers and/or manufacturers are only providing this product in English which is not in compliance with the Quebec language legislation. Therefore, it is not available for shipping within the province of Quebec. Customers within Quebec may still purchase this product as long as it is shipped to a province outside of Quebec.

I had the same message from bestbuy.ca, staples.ca and futureshop.ca.

What kind of weird policy is this? So they cannot send it to montreal because of some weird policy?

So basically amazon.ca is the only way i can make a monitor purchase? This is just amazing how can you cannot purchase it b/c its montreal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or