U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:17 PM

41 posts, read 80,310 times

Advertisements

Hi MauriceUsa,

I have lived in Ontario Canada and a few east coast US states for 6month periods.

At the current exchange rate Ontario is 30-50% more expensive then comparable US state of NY.
Gas is about $4 a gallon compared to $2.70.
Car insurance is ridiculous, my friend pays the same per month on his dodge caravan with clean record as another friend with an 200k exotic in US.
Roads are in really bad shape, this can be said for most of the east coast states as well.
Rents are generally similar.
Home prices are in a bubble, so you will find much better deals in the US.
Food is much cheaper in the US, however good healthy food is priced similar.
Cars are generally 10-25% cheaper in the US.
Sales tax is 13%, which is absurd even to California standard.
Healthcare is on a terminal decline, its not FREE at all, its simply paid for by higher income earners. If you do the math, an 80k earner is paying about 1k+ a month for "free" healthcare. Ontario has a budget deficit that is 3-4x worse then California's due to healthcare costs exploding. There could be large deterioration in public services over the next 10 years.
Canadians in general are loaded to the hilt on credit, our bubble hasn't burst yet.
Property taxes are similar.
US has superior consumer goods selection.
Much more difficult to do business in Ontario, even though NY state is equally hard due to taxes, regulations.
Amusement such as drinking is heavily regulated in Ontario, forget walking into convenience stores and buying alchohol. If the state liquor store is closed youare out of luck. Also alchohol and cigarette prices are generally 30-100% higher.
Movie theaters are nicer in Ontario. Price same as US.
Weather is aweful, 6months of the year is raining/snowing generally gloomy. Summers are unbearably humid with major urban areas full of smog.
Police - Local police just as intrusive as most US states. Love to sniff your underwear and collect traffic fines. However Canada does not have alphabet soup of Federal agencies snooping on every citizen.

Canadians are just as brainwashed as their southern brethern. Very ignorant about most of the world, always brag about their healthcare but are seen shopping, vacationing and visiting doctors in US.

All in all, it is very rare you will find American's who find Canada to be "better". This is seen in there being more Canadians leaving to US then Americans arriving. Generally a normal person with 70k+ income is much better off in the US. Though that gap has shrunk massively over the last 15 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 11:25 AM

2,662 posts, read 4,263,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamseCA View Post
Canadians are just as brainwashed as their southern brethern. Very ignorant about most of the world, always brag about their healthcare but are seen shopping, vacationing and visiting doctors in US.
Maybe it's me, but I don't really see what shopping and vacationing have to do with health care. Judging on the tone of your post, seems like you gave way more info/opinion than the OP was asking for..

Old 10-21-2010, 12:26 AM

106 posts, read 318,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamseCA View Post
Hi MauriceUsa,

I have lived in Ontario Canada and a few east coast US states for 6month periods.

At the current exchange rate Ontario is 30-50% more expensive then comparable US state of NY.
Gas is about $4 a gallon compared to $2.70.
Car insurance is ridiculous, my friend pays the same per month on his dodge caravan with clean record as another friend with an 200k exotic in US.
Roads are in really bad shape, this can be said for most of the east coast states as well.
Rents are generally similar.
Home prices are in a bubble, so you will find much better deals in the US.
Food is much cheaper in the US, however good healthy food is priced similar.
Cars are generally 10-25% cheaper in the US.
Sales tax is 13%, which is absurd even to California standard.
Healthcare is on a terminal decline, its not FREE at all, its simply paid for by higher income earners. If you do the math, an 80k earner is paying about 1k+ a month for "free" healthcare. Ontario has a budget deficit that is 3-4x worse then California's due to healthcare costs exploding. There could be large deterioration in public services over the next 10 years.
Canadians in general are loaded to the hilt on credit, our bubble hasn't burst yet.
Property taxes are similar.
US has superior consumer goods selection.
Much more difficult to do business in Ontario, even though NY state is equally hard due to taxes, regulations.
Amusement such as drinking is heavily regulated in Ontario, forget walking into convenience stores and buying alchohol. If the state liquor store is closed youare out of luck. Also alchohol and cigarette prices are generally 30-100% higher.
Movie theaters are nicer in Ontario. Price same as US.
Weather is aweful, 6months of the year is raining/snowing generally gloomy. Summers are unbearably humid with major urban areas full of smog.
Police - Local police just as intrusive as most US states. Love to sniff your underwear and collect traffic fines. However Canada does not have alphabet soup of Federal agencies snooping on every citizen.

All in all, it is very rare you will find American's who find Canada to be "better". This is seen in there being more Canadians leaving to US then Americans arriving. Generally a normal person with 70k+ income is much better off in the US. Though that gap has shrunk massively over the last 15 years.
Sorry i have to take exception to some of your points. You come across a little arrogant and I'll tell my side of the story. I am Canadian and a former NorCal resident. I left the Bay Area and returned to my home country in 2009. My portrayal of this synopsis will be California vs. Canada.

Okay the exchange rate is almost dead-even and there is no real advantage to shopping in the USA. I can get the same deal at Futureshop on a flat screen tv then I would if I crossed the border and went to Buffalo NY and shopped at Best Buy!

True gas prices are atrocious here but this largely due to corporate greed of the gas companies and the sagging American dollar.

Income tax was just as high or HIGHER in CA when it came to deductions off my pay checks. Being back in Canada I am better off at my 50K a year job than I was making the same wage there. I actually took home LESS pay and had to PAY EXTRA for my health care! A very basic Blue Cross plan ran me $80 a month. I prayed I didn't get sick in the US while I was there. Sorry health care is paid for by our tax dollars in Canada. Tell me why so many American's can't even afford basic coverage?

Rents are actually cheaper here than in San Francisco, Sonoma, Santa Rosa, San Jose etc... True homes are more expensive here and you may be able to luck out and purchase a reasonable piece of property in the US but that's only because there have been so many bank forecloses on homes in CA that your economy is dire straits!

Food is NOT cheaper in the Bay area! In Sonoma I was paying through my nose for groceries at Safeway or Whole Foods etc... Plus the quality of meats and poultry in the States is far below that of what is available here in Canada. You may have fresher produce at certain times of the year but that has more to do with geography than anything else. BTW, I was never quite sure of where my meats were coming from in CA,... china??

Roads are generally better in CA I agree but there are areas where there are exceptions.

Weather? 6 months of dry heat in Sonoma Valley where temperatures reach the into the early 100's! Then get ready for 5 months of rain, EVERDAY! Plus it can get cold in Sonoma. January temperature can hit 32F at night so this is no tropical paradise here! Now on to San Francisco. AS dark grey overcast sky awaits you 7-8 months of the year with temperatures in the summertime hovering around60F? Nice!

Americans are equally loaded on credit and perhaps more so than Canadians.

In CA, people really have no concept of a world beyond them and find it odd that they are so oblvious to the other States or even aware that there is country to the north of them.

As for alcohol, yes I did like having the option of buying beer and wine at my local supermarket but you know what? Options are sometimes limited to subpar California wines (sorry you don't hold a Candle vino from Franc or Italy) and few imports. In the LCBO in Toronto, I can get a way BETTER selection of wines than anywhere in The USA. The LCBO buys more international wine than anyone and I dare you to prove this wrong!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:47 AM

155 posts, read 424,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock47 View Post
As for alcohol, yes I did like having the option of buying beer and wine at my local supermarket but you know what? Options are sometimes limited to subpar California wines (sorry you don't hold a Candle vino from Franc or Italy) and few imports. In the LCBO in Toronto, I can get a way BETTER selection of wines than anywhere in The USA. The LCBO buys more international wine than anyone and I dare you to prove this wrong!
This isn't even the part that annoys me. You might find a six pack of Corona on sale in the US for 5.00. Here, its 12.50. You know what's really funny? A six pack of Molson Canadian is cheaper in the US than it is in Canada.

Also, when I was in Los Angeles, I found food to be WAY cheaper than it is in Canada.

As for your entire post; you were in the most expensive state. In the US, you have options, unlike Canada. If your not making enough to live comfortably in Cal, move to a cheaper state. Look at how cheap rent, etc is in Texas. In Canada, your getting burned no matter where you are.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 AM

705 posts, read 1,707,242 times
Canada being much more expensive than the US is a indisputable fact, the question is only a matter of by how much.
Don't compare Toronto with SF-Bay area or LA for that matter. You always pay a premium for better weather. Metro Toronto is comparable in size to Chicago, Dallas, Philadephia, Houston etc (neither of which has great climate), in terms of both population and economy, in which case, Toronto is vastly overpriced. For example, for the same price and location, you probably get 30% more space when you buy a house in Chicago than in Toronto (not to mention TX).
High income earners (say over $80K) are definitely better off in the US, no matter in which state/city than major Canadian cities. For low income earners, it may be a different story.
As the health care, yes, we outselves pay for that. It is naive to think of it as a perk about living in Canada (unless you are unemployed or make 20K a year)

Old 10-21-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiD310 View Post
This isn't even the part that annoys me. You might find a six pack of Corona on sale in the US for 5.00. Here, its 12.50. You know what's really funny? A six pack of Molson Canadian is cheaper in the US than it is in Canada.

Also, when I was in Los Angeles, I found food to be WAY cheaper than it is in Canada.

As for your entire post; you were in the most expensive state. In the US, you have options, unlike Canada. If your not making enough to live comfortably in Cal, move to a cheaper state. Look at how cheap rent, etc is in Texas. In Canada, your getting burned no matter where you are.
Wasn't any cheaper in Santa Monica either! I noticed really no difference.

BTW, the Molson will find in CA is not the same as the genuine stuff you find in Canada (and I hate Molson Canadian for the record) as it is brewed to Amercian standards.

My post was on Cali. I realize it is the most expensive State just as Ontario is the most Canadian expensive Province (save for BC).

Old 10-21-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
It is naive to think of it as a perk about living in Canada (unless you are unemployed or make 20K a year)
Sorry, it's a perk for me either way you slice it. I don't want a US style health care system up here. I agree it's deteriorated a lot since the 1980's which is largely due to abuse and fraud. Leave it to people to exploit the goodness of the program (Canadians and foreigners alike) and not use it as it was intended!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:49 AM

793 posts, read 1,255,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock47 View Post
Sorry, it's a perk for me either way you slice it. I don't want a US style health care system up here. I agree it's deteriorated a lot since the 1980's which is largely due to abuse and fraud. Leave it to people to exploit the goodness of the program (Canadians and foreigners alike) and not use it as it was intended!

Which is the beauty of living in the world we do, some countries are a fit for some, others not. I personally would not trade our situation in the US for what we had in Canada (Toronto) for anything: Higher salary, lower taxes, lower cost of living, lower travel cost, 100% employer paid HI premiums.

At the end of the day it completely depends on your personal circumstances and the US way of life, including the Health care system is better for many. I cant spend any time worrying about other peoples situations, your family's well being should come first above anyone else.

And just a quick point about your comment on the LCBO, I have always thought the selection is pretty lame compared to the wine and liquor stores I frequent in the US (Mass, FL and NYC) Just last week I went to buy Rum and had a selection of 6 different rums from Haiti alone, try finding that at your local LCBO.

Last edited by Cart24; 10-21-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 10-21-2010, 02:48 PM

155 posts, read 424,352 times
Give me the US healthcare any day.

Take a look at your paycheck when you get it. Look how much deductions you see - and how much of that is going to healthcare? How much of the tax on fuel, food, other is going to healthcare? At the end of the day, Canadians probably pay 2-3K per month for healthcare. Not to mention, higher income earners are likely paying double for the same healthcare as John doe working at McDonalds. (Good system, huh? )

Again, give me a 200.00/month health insurance plan and cut 40% (average) of the cost for items in Canada.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:57 PM

287 posts, read 931,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiD310 View Post
Give me the US healthcare any day.
And did you know that the leading cause of bankruptcies in the US is due to healthcare expenses, even with Americans who already had health insurance?

News Blog: Are medical costs the leading cause of U.S. bankruptcies?

Study Links Medical Costs and Personal Bankruptcy - BusinessWeek

Medical bills trigger half of all bankruptcies - Business - Personal finance - msnbc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or