U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 03:09 PM

793 posts, read 388,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggo View Post
And did you know that the leading cause of bankruptcies in the US is due to healthcare expenses, even with Americans who already had health insurance?

News Blog: Are medical costs the leading cause of U.S. bankruptcies?

Study Links Medical Costs and Personal Bankruptcy - BusinessWeek

Medical bills trigger half of all bankruptcies - Business - Personal finance - msnbc.com
No one is painting a completely rosy picture of the US Health care system, but for many of us the so called "risk" is more than worth taking when you factor in your earning power in the US and career opportunities in comparison to Canada.

I guess not all of us need the comfort of a government safety net to make us feel secure, I feel like I can create that safety net for my family on my own, but to each his own.

Also, please keep in mind that there was this Health care reform bill that passed in the past year that you may have heard of, which actually directly addresses many of the policies held by the Insurance Industry which contributed to those Bankruptcies you noted earlier. I can never understand how people just ignore all the progress made in the past year and don't even allow the Legislation to take effect before passing judgement. I would have thought people would be intelligent enough to pause the health care debate while the new laws take effect....I guess I was expecting too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 03:09 PM

155 posts, read 255,232 times
Quote:
And did you know that the leading cause of bankruptcies in the US is due to healthcare expenses, even with Americans who already had health insurance?

News Blog: Are medical costs the leading cause of U.S. bankruptcies?

Study Links Medical Costs and Personal Bankruptcy - BusinessWeek

Medical bills trigger half of all bankruptcies - Business - Personal finance - msnbc.com
Funny how "we" are always so quick to defer from the bad points about Canada's healthcare. My, how quick we always have to toss some bad facts about the US system in to the mix. Why is that? To proud to admit that the system here actually sucks? Do me a favor.. come up with a rebuttal for: "higher income earners are likely paying double for the same healthcare as John doe working at McDonalds."

Old 10-21-2010, 03:16 PM

155 posts, read 255,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
I guess not all of us need the comfort of a government safety net to make us feel secure, I feel like I can create that safety net for my family on my own, but to each his own.
Excellent point! Had to give you a rep for that one!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:25 PM

286 posts, read 561,890 times
Quote:
Also, please keep in mind that there was this Health care reform bill that passed in the past year that you may have heard of, which actually directly addresses many of the policies held by the Insurance Industry which contributed to those Bankruptcies you noted earlier. I can never understand how people just ignore all the progress made in the past year and don't even allow the Legislation to take effect before passing judgement. I would have thought people would be intelligent enough to pause the health care debate while the new laws take effect....I guess I was expecting too much.
Well, the recent Health care reform bill has certainly divided the US, hasn't it? Have a search for some of the threads about it in the Politics subforum on here and you'll see people proclaiming the "death of America". It still remains to be seen how far the bill will go, and the Democrats may have much to lose over this in the November mid-term elections.

Health Care Reform Bill Future In Question

Health Care Reform Bill May Be Deemed Unconstitutional | U.S. Financial Post

Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 PM

793 posts, read 388,210 times
Quote:
Well, the recent Health care reform bill has certainly divided the US, hasn't it? Have a search for some of the threads about it in the Politics subforum on here and you'll see people proclaiming the "death of America". It still remains to be seen how far the bill will go, and the Democrats may have much to lose over this in the November mid-term elections.

Health Care Reform Bill Future In Question

Health Care Reform Bill May Be Deemed Unconstitutional | U.S. Financial Post
Agreed on all points, it has definitely divided the country. As far as the Politics forum is concerned I try to stay away from there, my goodness that is one huge ClusterF*&^ If I've ever seen one. All I know is that I am glad I live in a part of the country where people are more level headed and actually support what the President has done (since MA already has Universal Healthcare since 2006)

The fact remains that despite the backlash and the possible shift in the balance of power from the Dem to the GOP, the bill has passed and was signed by the President....so it is law, whether they like it or not. All this talk of repeal is an empty threat, because no matter how many seats the GOP picks up it will not be enough in both the House and Senate to override a Presidential Veto.

So the law is here to stay and people in the US need to give it a chance and people outside of the US need to give credit where it is due and stop judging the US on a system that is in the process of changing.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 PM

4,285 posts, read 9,742,460 times
Quote:
Agreed on all points, it has definitely divided the country. As far as the Politics forum is concerned I try to stay away from there, my goodness that is one huge ClusterF*&^ If I've ever seen one. All I know is that I am glad I live in a part of the country where people are more level headed and actually support what the President has done (since MA already has Universal Healthcare since 2006)

The fact remains that despite the backlash and the possible shift in the balance of power from the Dem to the GOP, the bill has passed and was signed by the President....so it is law, whether they like it or not. All this talk of repeal is an empty threat, because no matter how many seats the GOP picks up it will not be enough in both the House and Senate to override a Presidential Veto.

So the law is here to stay and people in the US need to give it a chance and people outside of the US need to give credit where it is due and stop judging the US on a system that is in the process of changing.

Sadly, though, that's where discussion of US health care reform belongs.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:27 AM

11 posts, read 11,962 times
The economies of Canada and the United States are extremely similar because they are both developed countries and are each other's largest trading partners. However, key differences in population makeup, geography, government policies and productivity all result in different economies.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:20 PM

12,673 posts, read 12,358,031 times
Houston's COL can be compared to which city in Canada?

Old 11-12-2010, 09:35 PM

398 posts, read 126,764 times
No city in Canada has Houston's cost of living, consumer goods and groceries cost more in Canada, and so does real estate in all of its cities, unless you go to some small towns that are far from any job centres. Houston cannot really be compared to anywhere in Canada, Houston is a sprawling mess with no zoning, no state income tax (property taxes make up for it), and Texas is a very racist state with a redneck mentality of throwing people in jail or executing them even if they might be innocent. You'll get a lot more for your money in Canada, even if it does end up costing you more to live.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:52 PM

3,030 posts, read 5,425,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
Houston cannot really be compared to anywhere in Canada, Houston is a sprawling mess with no zoning, no state income tax (property taxes make up for it), and Texas is a very racist state with a redneck mentality of throwing people in jail or executing them even if they might be innocent.
It's not just Texas, but 37 states have the death penalty. On the way to Sonoma along the 101, the tour guide mentioned that San Quentin is up ahead. I mentioned that it's very weird for California to have the death penalty since it's considered a "progressive" state. (I remembered the Governator's refusal with Stanley Williams.)

Calgary seems to be a spitting image of Houston with the lack of suburbs and the unprecedented sprawl compared to the rest of Canada. Most people in Calgary don't drive 50 km to work (especially petrol at >$1/L) like in Houston but in the future that very well may be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada