Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 07:11 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times

Advertisements

There are several websites with all kinds of statistics on US housing & living costs but I can't find any for Canada. I'm interested in things like property taxes, income tax, house prices, etc. Anything like City-Data for Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 10:55 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times
Well for starters CAD is .98 out of the dollar.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:11 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Quote:
Perhaps you meant that the closing exchange rate for Friday, November 16, 2007 had US $1.00 worth $.98 CAD?

For the OP, try searching the phrase Consumer Price Index.

Might try this Ontario specific site as well: Price Levels of Major Cities - Cost of Living Index in Major Cities (http://www.2ontario.com/welcome/coca_701.asp - broken link)

Old 11-18-2007, 05:09 PM

575 posts, read 3,132,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Exchange rates cannot factor cost of living and are not reflective of living costs as money is bought on the exchange based on desireability. An oil change costing $40 CAD a few years ago at the exchange rate of .65 still costs $40 CAD while instead of costing $27 US at the old exchange rate now costs $40 at the US current exchange rate.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:08 AM

112 posts, read 615,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Perhaps you meant that the closing exchange rate for Friday, November 16, 2007 had US $1.00 worth $.98 CAD?

For the OP, try searching the phrase Consumer Price Index.

Might try this Ontario specific site as well: Price Levels of Major Cities - Cost of Living Index in Major Cities (http://www.2ontario.com/welcome/coca_701.asp - broken link)
Do you know if the link takes taxes into account? I can't find it on the site.

Edit: More to the point: Do you know if Mercer's Cost of Living Index takes taxes into account when determining cost-of-living?

Last edited by RxMarcus; 11-19-2007 at 11:18 AM..

Old 12-09-2007, 08:03 PM
mib

2 posts, read 54,727 times
Inflation comparison Canada vs US- Our inflation rate is probably very close to US.

But what you are really asking "s how much will I have left in my pocket in Canada to what I would have left in my pocket in US at the end of the day"? Correct!

House prices are generally highest in biggest cities Vancouver, Toronto,Montreal.
Propery taxes will be high in those big cities and less so in smaller cities.
Each city sets its own standards for property taxes based on what level of service vs dollars available in their budget they have.
If they need more money to provide said service,then property taxes would go up(pretty basic stuff).

In Canada we pay two taxes thru income tax, Federal tax and Provincial Tax.
The Federal tax part is the same for everyone.
The Provincial Tax is different, each provincial goverment decides what they want.
I don't know the numbers, but I would guess the provinces like B.C.,Ontario and Quebec
would gouge you more than Prairie provinces and East coast Provinces.

We pay more for our cars here than people in the states do.
Gas prices I think are generally higher too.To check this out you have to convert our $/litre standard compare to your $/gallon and see the difference.

One final thought Canadian freedom day is something like the 170th day in a year, while the tax freedom day in US is something like day 120 (2007 stats),enough said!

Old 12-09-2007, 08:43 PM

7 posts, read 77,257 times
personally i think it balances itself out rent may be higher say in NYC than toronto BUT in NYC the cost of living is cheaper, clothes, food ect have less tax, way less than ontario where the tax is 15%

and in allot of big cities i am seeing a general trend in price for rent most are the same as T.O (toronto) im looking to relocate out this cold weather and in miami the prices are kind of similar to that of toronto or MTL (montreal)

same as for smaller cities in greater areas the rent goes down a bit

now as for houses it all depends, but still kind of the same, im into condos so generally dont look at prices for homes but i imagine its all the same, just as you will find 20 million $ mansions in the US you will find em here too

toronto you can buy a **** hole home for 6 or 7 hundered grand, in the GTA mega city u can get a palace for the same price....

same as in michigan, i lived there for years and its the same thing. pay hood prices live in hood areas, pay rich prices live in rich areas

both countries/areas of countries have thier hits and misses in terms of what you may pay more for in one place vs another country but in the end i think its all close to the same.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:40 PM

127 posts, read 925,002 times
I'm not really sure if this is what you're looking for but Sperlings 'Cities Ranked & Rated' has comparable Cost of Living statistics between Canada and the US. In fact they compare Candian cities as a whole to their US counterparts, which is pretty interesting. Moderator cut: Do not post links to competing sites They only compare Major Metro areas from both countries which is annoying to me because I prefer to know about smaller towns and rural areas as well, but it should help you find what you are looking for. Let me know if need to know anything else.
Have a good day!

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-10-2007 at 07:10 PM..

Old 12-10-2007, 03:56 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,064,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftrmath313maximus View Post
personally i think it balances itself out rent may be higher say in NYC than toronto BUT in NYC the cost of living is cheaper, clothes, food ect have less tax, way less than ontario where the tax is 15% and in allot of big cities i am seeing a general trend in price for rent most are the same as T.O (toronto)
Say what?? NYC is the most expensive city of North America! Less sale taxes doesn't mean that much when you look at the overall cost of living.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:58 PM

21 posts, read 157,385 times
Petrol: 4 liters to the gallon. Canadian petrol costs around $1.40/liter, this is $5.60/gallon. Fuel is definitely more expensive in Canada. Which is ironic, as Canada is the #1 exporter of petrol to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada