U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:01 PM

5 posts, read 3,617 times

Advertisements

crossed a yellow light with about 50 km speed in a 40km zone. officer pulled me over and issued a red light ticket (270$). I told him I didn't cross red light but he said here take your ticket..
If you were me would you pay the ticket or fight it?
sometimes its not safe to stop at yellow light.. especially when it turns yellow right when you enter the intersection.. am I suppose to nail my breaks next time? If this happens again how do I convince the office I didn't cross the red light?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 10:36 PM

15,837 posts, read 10,045,202 times
If you go to traffic court (a year from now? what city were you in?) here is a small chance the officer won't show up and you'll be let off. If he does show up the judge will undoubtedly side with the officer's testimony that you entered on a red not on a yellow. Sounds like you sped up to beat the light.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:55 AM

5,692 posts, read 6,542,363 times
I don't know if this is provincial or not but here if you get some sort of ticket and dispute it, it usually never gets to court. Just by disputing it, at the place you go to pay it, it is apparently standard practise here, due to over-crowded courts, to halve the fine. You don't necessarily have to be able to prove anything.

I don't know this from my own experience, but that of friends and relatives who had large fines halved. I guess you are still pleading guilty though but 'with an explanation.'

If you feel it was a yellow light, then I would certainly explain that and see where it goes. Police do make mistakes sometimes. If I knew I was guilty of what I was charged with, it's not in my personality to evade responsibility even if it might be possible. I would simply pay it in that event.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:01 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,019,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3452 View Post
crossed a yellow light with about 50 km speed in a 40km zone. officer pulled me over and issued a red light ticket (270$). I told him I didn't cross red light but he said here take your ticket..
sometimes its not safe to stop at yellow light.. especially when it turns yellow right when you enter the intersection.. am I suppose to nail my breaks next time? If this happens again how do I convince the office I didn't cross the red light?
I know someone who used the same argument in traffic court. "It wasn't safe to stop at the yellow light".
The judge said that if it wasn't safe, then he was going too fast. He lost.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:24 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,280,563 times
Well, don't argue roadside, or you will be guaranteed to get the ticket. Officers do not argue roadside, that's how fights happen, it's considered dangerous and isn't going to work. If you think he was wrong, dispute it, and hope he doesn't show up.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:07 AM

34,397 posts, read 41,499,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3452 View Post

Maybe the cop was looking at the light at the other side of the intersection and figured if the far light turns red while you are traversing the intersection then while the light may have been orange when you entered the intersection it was red when you exited thus the going throught a red light call ,if you have the time you could fight it but ni guarantees of success, as for the i couldnt stop for fear of being rear ended defense? its lame,dont use it

Old 09-24-2013, 06:49 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,575,204 times
Fight the ticket absolutely for sure. A conviction probably means points and you will pay higher insurance for 3 years.
I would fight it myself but there are plenty of outfits like POINTS that will fight it for you.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:51 AM

2,291 posts, read 3,936,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I don't know if this is provincial or not but here if you get some sort of ticket and dispute it, it usually never gets to court. Just by disputing it, at the place you go to pay it, it is apparently standard practise here, due to over-crowded courts, to halve the fine. You don't necessarily have to be able to prove anything.

I don't know this from my own experience, but that of friends and relatives who had large fines halved. I guess you are still pleading guilty though but 'with an explanation.'
That's definitely not the case here in Quebec -- it takes a while but everybody eventually gets a court hearing.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:35 AM

8,598 posts, read 11,088,073 times
Do you deserve the ticket? Yes. If you entered the intersection on yellow, you're guilty. Yellow is for people who entered on green to clear the intersection.

Can you fight it and have it reduced/dismissed? Yes.

Usually, at least in Alberta, Traffic court has a mediator before the actual trial to try to come to resolution, usually that means dropping the points off, and just paying the fine. If you take it to actual trial, the officer may or may not be there, but they get paid overtime to be there, so...

Old 09-24-2013, 10:47 AM

5,692 posts, read 6,542,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
That's definitely not the case here in Quebec -- it takes a while but everybody eventually gets a court hearing.
I'll try and see later if there is anything online about this here. I've had a sister, BIL, and my hubby (twice) all of whom had their fines halved. I don't remember all the individual circumstances except one was out and out speeding, and another was for going through a 60 km while passing workers at more or less regular highway speed.

I just find it interesting that there are these differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or